Wildhack | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack

There's whining and having a legit beef. On the basketball side especially, coaches have decided to throw in the towel rather than get involved in this climate.

Huh?

A ton of emotional feedback in this thread about ADJW. Totally get it, this is a fan board and it's been another tough run. An insider has already said he has a list. The insider said clearly there are at least two who will be interviewed. Again at least two. If you don't think the Chancellor and BoT won't challenge JW to defend his decisions and process then I am not sure what to say. Yeah JW has hired people with Syracuse ties. Have those been bad hires? He is driving bringing in money as well. Just because Dino hasn't been fired yet at the time of this post doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan.

A ton of emotional feedback in this thread about ADJW. Totally get it, this is a fan board and it's been another tough run. An insider has already said he has a list. The insider said clearly there are at least two who will be interviewed. Again at least two. If you don't think the Chancellor and BoT won't challenge JW to defend his decisions and process then I am not sure what to say. Yeah JW has hired people with Syracuse ties. Have those been bad hires? He is driving bringing in money as well. Just because Dino hasn't been fired yet at the time of this post doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan.
I like that he’s not dramatic and you rarely hear palace gossip from SU. It’s frustrating as a fan, but I appreciate the professionalism.

On the court? You think all those transfers came for the food? There is a lot of $upport for Autry. Nothing happens without players.
My point is just hiring Gait and Autry is not an accomplishment but rather a transaction. Nothing has translated to wins or success yet.

I don't think it's emotional at all. He's presided over a years long stench of SUA and hasn't been made accountable for it. The situation with Hillsman would have had Wildhack placed on administrative leave at other schools. Not at SU.

Why even have an ad if we won't let him do his job.

That makes the assumption that decisions to fire a coach are entirely under his control, and he doesn’t need to get that decision signed off on. That’s is almost certainly a terrible assumption. At least it would be in any private business, and I’m not sure why I would expect college athletics to not have checks and balances built into the process (and frankly there should be).

Complaining about hiring alums for lax coaches is stupid.

Every successful coach who grew and maintained each program’s national profile graduated from SU.

Slugger, Desko/Gait, Treanor.
Anyone objecting To hiring FLJ as women's basketball, is just showing their ignorance. She took a devastated program, and ended winning 20 games.
Had a .500 ACC record in a tough conference her 1st year. Has a pipeline going with the Australian players, and the ACC is going to start learning about them this year.

So…what if Wildhack is ready to fire Dino right now, but BOT won’t give him the go-ahead?

And the BOT is going to dictate the “vision and perspective” related to athletics generally and football specifically. That’s not going to change, even if - for whatever reason - the AD at the school changes.
Then you will have an empty Dome in 3 weeks and a really empty Dome next season for football.

I didn't go last night, not going to the WF game. And if Dino is still here in September, Im not going to any games next year. And I know I am not alone with that. IF the people in charge prevent Whildhack from doing his job, then they will see the consequences at the box office and with a lot of those new fancy seats with cup holders being EMPTY!

The school has run off a lot of fans the past 15-20 years, inaction with Dino would run off a few of the die-hards they have left. If they don't see that or know that, oh well then. That's a THEM problem not a ME problem.

Then you will have an empty Dome in 3 weeks and a really empty Dome next season for football.

I didn't go last night, not going to the WF game. And if Dino is still here in September, Im not going to any games next year. And I know I am not alone with that. IF the people in charge prevent Whildhack from doing his job, then they will see the consequences at the box office and with a lot of those new fancy seats with cup holders being EMPTY!

The school has run off a lot of fans the past 15-20 years, inaction with Dino would run off a few of the die-hards they have left. If they don't see that or know that, oh well then. That's a THEM problem not a ME problem.

An interim coach would inspire a huge number of people to go to a game for a non-bowl team that wouldn’t have gone otherwise? That seems unlikely to be true.

And if the BOT tells him he needs to wait until a bowl is mathematically eliminated before firing Dino, it’ll have a substantial negative impact on next years attendance? That also seems unlikely to be true.

As long as he’s gone at the end of the year, I’m fine. And I’m comfy on the Fire Dino train - but I’m looking around at lunatics ranting he needs to be fired today leaves me wishing I had more emotionally stable companions for the next three weeks.

He didn't hire Dino and should be eager to make the move and get his guy. I think he deserves a chance to pick a coach and it honestly didn't make sense to fire Dino until now/this year.

Georgetown Kent is the one I want out with Dino.

IMO, 99.9% of seasoned/experienced AD's (which John is not) would've already picked his guy based upon what has been quite obvious for some time. The fact that John hasn't to date and has allowed this to go from bad to worse, says plenty as far as I'm concerned.

In my view, he's a 100% path of least resistance guy, and rolls with the better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I have very little confidence/faith that John has a clue of whom his next hire may be, especially without any apparent fall back type SU career person as with lax and hoops. I believe he hoped Dino would have a good season, get to a bowl (not back his way in with a 5-6 game losing streak, or what have you) etc, especially with such a favorable schedule and continue kicking the can down the road.

One huge problem with this type of mindset, 'hope is not a strategy.'

Marvin is the only legit superstar I can recall to raise a son that’s actually better than him.
There aren’t many, in baseball maybe Bobby Bonds? Not sure he was a superstar though.

MBB - alum
WLAX - alum
MLAX - alum

That trend doesn't fill me with confidence

This is silly.

MBB- Had to replace an icon. Autry was a part of a lot of success here and is well thought of. If it doesnt work, then you go outside of the program. UNC, Duke, Georgetown, Indiana ... rightly or wrongly, you work in house before branching out when replacing a fixture.

WLAX - Hired an all time great player who was a rising star assistant coach. Played for the coach she replaced and who had success.

MLAX - Hired an all time great player who has had unparalleled success as a player, moderate success as a men's coach, and a lot of success as a ladies coach. He was right across the hall - how do you not offer him? And, as someone pointed out, Syracuse has always promoted from within for lacrosse.

WBB - A non revenue sport and those positions are often filled with alums. Priority #1 was likely restoring culture and trust and her tenure at Buffalo was very positive.

Marvin is the only legit superstar I can recall to raise a son that’s actually better than him.

The player you picked is wrong but the premise is interesting. Marvin is in the HOF. Time will tell how great his son will become. Also, "raise" is subjective.

Football - Archie Manning?
Hockey - Bobby Hull?
Basketball - probably isn't one
Baseball - probably isn't one (Guerrero has a chance)

Red was a safe choice. If Red fails to produce within his first couple of years, SUBB will be looking outside of the family. I'm not going to further detail this thread with basketball talk, but they could have stayed in the family and hit the ground running immediately with Rick Pitino. He would have picked up the phone if they called him.
Replace one septugenarian with another, no thanks hard pass on that.

I’m okay with ADJW, but I believe this hire will ultimately end up being his trademark along with Red.

Turning a program around isn’t like turning around the Titanic anymore. The portal and NIL can change that.

I don’t think we’ll get the NIL funds before making moves in order to fund them, if we ever do. I think they can develop belief and buy in, but it will have to come with evidence for the next hire this time.

Syracuse University has a storied history in not be willing to correct a misguided athletic program until such time that the empty seats & $$$$$$ are forcing them to change course.
Would I be shocked if Dino is back next year, only mildly.

An interim coach would inspire a huge number of people to go to a game for a non-bowl team that wouldn’t have gone otherwise? That seems unlikely to be true.

And if the BOT tells him he needs to wait until a bowl is mathematically eliminated before firing Dino, it’ll have a substantial negative impact on next years attendance? That also seems unlikely to be true.

As long as he’s gone at the end of the year, I’m fine. And I’m comfy on the Fire Dino train - but I’m looking around at lunatics ranting he needs to be fired today leaves me wishing I had more emotionally stable companions for the next three weeks.
I never said he had to be fired today. I said they CAN fire him today because we are in November and only a couple games left.

I would fire him today because why not get a jump on the interviewing process. But if they want to let him suffer through this mess he created and for 3 more weeks, fine. Fire him then. He just has to go. AND if he finds a way to win 2 (he won't) and makes a bowl...he still needs to be fired in all honesty.

This is silly.

MBB- Had to replace an icon. Autry was a part of a lot of success here and is well thought of. If it doesnt work, then you go outside of the program. UNC, Duke, Georgetown, Indiana ... rightly or wrongly, you work in house before branching out when replacing a fixture.

WLAX - Hired an all time great player who was a rising star assistant coach. Played for the coach she replaced and who had success.

MLAX - Hired an all time great player who has had unparalleled success as a player, moderate success as a men's coach, and a lot of success as a ladies coach. He was right across the hall - how do you not offer him? And, as someone pointed out, Syracuse has always promoted from within for lacrosse.

WBB - A non revenue sport and those positions are often filled with alums. Priority #1 was likely restoring culture and trust and her tenure at Buffalo was very positive.
Time will tell if they're good hires and I hope they all are. Just pointing out a trend. There's a lot of excellent coaches in all of those sports, and aside from WLAX, we're struggling in all of them.

Replace one septugenarian with another, no thanks hard pass on that.
St. John's is much better position today than Syracuse and will be a better team by a lot. I'll take that for 2-3 years while setting up a seamless transition.

The player you picked is wrong but the premise is interesting. Marvin is in the HOF. Time will tell how great his son will become. Also, "raise" is subjective.

Football - Archie Manning?
Hockey - Bobby Hull?
Basketball - probably isn't one
Baseball - probably isn't one (Guerrero has a chance)

I don't know if Archie was a star but him and the Hull's are a generation ago and anyway I didn't see the dads. I think Vlad Jr is behind his dad at this point.

Marvin Jr probably won't have as good a QB but I am pretty sure hes ahead of where his HOF dad was at the end of his SU career. So he's kind of the only one ahead of his dad but he still has to go do it in the pros of course. I'm obviously not counting Steph and Klay's dads as stars.

I actually sat next to a lady who was Marvins ex wife at a dive bar in Vegas. DIdn't know until the bartender told me after she left. I guess it was probably his mom.

IMO, 99.9% of seasoned/experienced AD's (which John is not) would've already picked his guy based upon what has been quite obvious for some time. The fact that John hasn't to date and has allowed this to go from bad to worse, says plenty as far as I'm concerned.

In my view, he's a 100% path of least resistance guy, and rolls with the better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I have very little confidence/faith that John has a clue of whom his next hire may be, especially without any apparent fall back type SU career person as with lax and hoops. I believe he hoped Dino would have a good season, get to a bowl (not back his way in with a 5-6 game losing streak, or what have you) etc, especially with such a favorable schedule and continue kicking the can down the road.

One huge problem with this type of mindset, 'hope is not a strategy.'

When do you fire Dino?

After 2020? Just put a new roof on and no fans were there to see it.

2021 we were pretty tough in some of the losses. Jersey boy handed a close one to Rutgers. Had FSU beat. Had Clemson beat. Heartbreaker vs Wake in OT. 3 awful losses to end the year when Shraders arm was falling off.

Last year is obvious if we didn't pull out the BC game but 7-5 with the good start and almost beating Clemson isn't a bad season by our standards.

I would give Dino the next 2 games because he has been OK over 8 years in my book but I think its a little fair to the kids on the field to not let them try to beat some bad teams with Rocky Long in charge. We won't have a QB. Wake and Pitt are possibly the worst they have been since we started playing them annually when we joined the league. Time is now.

Are there any NFL assistants wanting to return to college FB in a head coaching capacity?

Every coach whines about the NIL, all of em.
i think he started the trend. seems to be the ones that either can’t compete in it or won’t adapt to it.

I don't know if Archie was a star but him and the Hull's are a generation ago and anyway I didn't see the dads. I think Vlad Jr is behind his dad at this point.

Marvin Jr probably won't have as good a QB but I am pretty sure hes ahead of where his HOF dad was at the end of his SU career. So he's kind of the only one ahead of his dad but he still has to go do it in the pros of course. I'm obviously not counting Steph and Klay's dads as stars.

I actually sat next to a lady who was Marvins ex wife at a dive bar in Vegas. DIdn't know until the bartender told me after she left. I guess it was probably his mom.
Marvin Jr said his 14 year old brother is better than he was at that age. Both will end up going to tOSU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom