Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

I live in TN and have family ties to Vandy - my brother is a season ticket holder for football and baseball. I would love to have Vandy in the ACC. The Nashville TV market is large and filled with college sports fans. But the Vandy brass has a long history of loving being the lone private school in the SEC. It allows them to put on airs around all the Ag college grads.

If ND wants Northwestern and it wants the ACC, I say go for it.

No way the ACC extends into Mountain Time.
Vandy to ACC and NC St to SEC. both conferences are ESPN properties so grant of rights should not be an issue with ESPN’s blessing. Bring in ND and Texas to play 6 games each year, ending with ND-UT during national rivalry week

Notre Dame/Texas

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Miami

Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Last edited:
Vandy to ACC and NC St to SEC. both conferences are ESPN properties so grant of rights should not be an issue with ESPN’s blessing. Bring in ND and Texas to play 6 games each year, ending with ND-UT during national rivalry week

A guaranteed road trip to Nashville every other year sounds great to me, bring Vandy to the ACC (and in our division)

UNC isn’t going to let NC State go to the SEC.
UNC controls the NC education system which NC State falls under.

Texas A&M was more of an equal to Texas with political influence in TX unlike NC State.

Plus the ACC doesn’t want to invite the SEC into NC.

Also Vanderbilt isn’t going to give up 15-20 million dollars extra a year with the SEC for the ACC.

The ACC isn’t expanding beyond 14 until ND would come aboard. You let ND pick the 16th as a nugget to help them come aboard.

I still think the Big XII is a time bomb.

Oklahoma will destroy the conference eventually unless ESPN pulls the plug on the Longhorn Network and forces Texas’ hand.

I live in TN and have family ties to Vandy - my brother is a season ticket holder for football and baseball. I would love to have Vandy in the ACC. The Nashville TV market is large and filled with college sports fans. But the Vandy brass has a long history of loving being the lone private school in the SEC. It allows them to put on airs around all the Ag college grads.

If ND wants Northwestern and it wants the ACC, I say go for it.

No way the ACC extends into Mountain Time.
Don't want to derail this thread but North Carolina is having the success in recruiting that we Orange fans have been dreaming of. Anything you care to share, WoadBlue, on what it's like to be a Heel fan right now?

I may have mentioned this once or twice before. ;) One of our board gurus has said that the ACC offered Texas the ND deal before it was offered to ND. They turned it down. If it is offered again, they will not turn it down.
In order for it to happen though, the Big XII would have to implode thereby terminating the Grant of Rights. I asked on the hard-core ND board what they would do in response. All of them said they would want the Ath Dept to put Texas on their schedule permanently in order to help another independent with its schedule and because Texas has traditionally been a recruiting hotbed for them.

I may have mentioned this once or twice before. ;) One of our board gurus has said that the ACC offered Texas the ND deal before it was offered to ND. They turned it down. If it is offered again, they will not turn it down.
In order for it to happen though, the Big XII would have to implode thereby terminating the Grant of Rights. I asked on the hard-core ND board what they would do in response. All of them said they would want the Ath Dept to put Texas on their schedule permanently in order to help another independent with its schedule and because Texas has traditionally been a recruiting hotbed for them.

Absolutely, ND would want to support an independent Texas and play them often, perhaps every year.

That game would not replace Southern Cal/Stanford as the final game for ND, though.

ND likes to end the season there, then have the coaches stay out there and recruit.

No Big Ten or SEC team is leaving their conference for another conference without being kicked out.

Notre Dame isn’t going to become a full time member in the ACC.
2020 would be a exception unless their leadership is ready to tell its older alumni to go away.

If ND became a full time member let them pick team 16.
Whomever ND wanted that could be brought in would be the choice.

Understanding that choice would have to be willingly as well and no Big Ten or SEC member would leave.

The obvious contenders would be West Virginia, Navy, Cincinnati, Temple, Central Florida, South Florida.

West Virginia would make a lot of sense but screw them.
I think that the ACC area of most need on the Atlantic Coast is Mid-Atlantic. The Big Ten is trying to cut the ACC off from that region with the Maryland and Rutgers additions. West Virginia, Navy, and Temple each would strengthen presence there.

West Virginia brings an entire state plus a diaspora that is spread all over Pennsyvania, Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. That diaspora are rabid fans that would buy tickets for all of the ACC schools' venues in those states.

Temple would put the ACC in a top 5 television market that we are not currently in. It's mostly a pro-sports area, but if Temple is doing well, it gets attention. They had college football gameday there in recent years. It was for a ND game in fact.

Navy would be a choice Notre Dame might favor because that would become a conference game that frees up another game outside of the conference for ND to schedule. It would bring a Service Academy into the P5. Navy would also return ACC presence in Maryland.

Last edited:
Absolutely, ND would want to support an independent Texas and play them often, perhaps every year.

That game would not replace Southern Cal/Stanford as the final game for ND, though.

ND likes to end the season there, then have the coaches stay out there and recruit.
I would imagine trying for a placement about halfway between your games with USC and Stanford. Not tremendously cold in SB and not tremendously hot in Austin.

I would imagine trying for a placement about halfway between your games with USC and Stanford. Not tremendously cold in SB and not tremendously hot in Austin.
They played Texas in their season opener 2 years in a row.
Texas plays Oklahoma the second October almost every year around week 5 or 6.

Texas wouldn’t want Notre Dame around that. If they played annually in the Michigan-Notre Dame spot would make sense which is typically week 2 or 3.

I think that the ACC area of most need on the Atlantic Coast is Mid-Atlantic. The Big Ten is trying to cut the ACC off from that region with the Maryland and Rutgers additions. West Virginia, Navy, and Temple each would strengthen presence there.

West Virginia brings an entire state plus a diaspora that is spread all over Pennsyvania, Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas. That diaspora are rabid fans that would buy tickets for all of the ACC schools' venues in those states.

Temple would put the ACC in a top 5 television market that we are not currently in. It's mostly a pro-sports area, but if Temple is doing well, it gets attention. They had college football gameday there in recent years. It was for a ND game in fact.

Navy would be a choice Notre Dame might favor because that would become a conference game that frees up another game outside of the conference for ND to schedule. It would bring a Service Academy into the P5. Navy would also return ACC presence in Maryland.
Temple would be a strategic strike to the eastern flank of the B1G. The Philadelphia media spreads halfway across Pa. to the west, across all of NJ to the east and thru the DMV to the south. It would also be a blow to Big East flag ship Villanova. Bringing ACC teams into Philly like Duke, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Cuse and Pitt would make both of those leagues unhappy.

Temple would be a strategic strike to the eastern flank of the B1G. The Philadelphia media spreads halfway across Pa. to the west, across all of NJ to the east and thru the DMV to the south. It would also be a blow to Big East flag ship Villanova. Bringing ACC teams into Philly like Duke, UNC, FSU, Clemson, Cuse and Pitt would make both of those leagues unhappy.
It works for me. UVA already tries to schedule games and events in Philadelphia as often as possible for basketball and lacrosse. It's an important market for us. We haven't done much with Temple, but we have with Villanova, Penn, and Drexel. Temple would work too. I also noticed that Miami, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Duke have home and home football games with Temple in the next 5 years. Philadelphia would be a good market for the ACC to be in.

It works for me. UVA already tries to schedule games and events in Philadelphia as often as possible for basketball and lacrosse. It's an important market for us. We haven't done much with Temple, but we have with Villanova, Penn, and Drexel. Temple would work too. I also noticed that Miami, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Duke have home and home football games with Temple in the next 5 years. Philadelphia would be a good market for the ACC to be in.
The ACC could offer an exciting new option there and ACC teams could get more of the top recruits away from the B1G and the Big East. A Temple/Pitt yearly game could be a rival to Penn States popularity.

Nope.
Why do Texas and Florida have so many P5 and strong G5 rivalry games but that can't happen in Pa? It can. Temple into the ACC would knock Humpty Dumpty off that wall.

The ACC could offer an exciting new option there and ACC teams could get more of the top recruits away from the B1G and the Big East. A Temple/Pitt yearly game could be a rival to Penn States popularity.
You were doing fine until you went nuclear.
1595896447870.gif

Why do Texas and Florida have so many P5 and strong G5 rivalry games but that can't happen in Pa? It can. Temple into the ACC would knock Humpty Dumpty off that wall.
Nobody in the nation gives a chit about SMU vs. Houston or Central Florida vs. South Florida.
They get no ratings.

Florida, Florida State, Miami are the National brands from Florida.
Texas, Texas A&M are the national
Brands from Texas.
TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech playing each other don’t matter it’s part of the reason the Big XII is a timebomb.

Temple-Pitt attendance wouldn’t equal a Penn State intrasquad scrimmage in Philadelphia.

You were doing fine until you went nuclear. View attachment 184878
Nobody in the nation gives a chit about SMU vs. Houston or Central Florida vs. South Florida.
They get no ratings.

Florida, Florida State, Miami are the National brands from Florida.
Texas, Texas A&M are the national
Brands from Texas.
TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech playing each other don’t matter it’s part of the reason the Big XII is a timebomb.

Temple-Pitt attendance wouldn’t equal a Penn State intrasquad scrimmage in Philadelphia.
Temple has gotten pretty solid and has some decent attendance with thei AAC rivals. It wouldn't take much for that game to become a good rivalry game as the cities are already rivals in everything. Add the ACC advertising and people in Pa might find it quite compelling.

Temple has gotten pretty solid and has some decent attendance with thei AAC rivals. It wouldn't take much for that game to become a good rivalry game as the cities are already rivals in everything. Add the ACC advertising and people in Pa might find it quite compelling.
Fair. But "a pretty good rivalry" is vastly different from "A Temple/Pitt yearly game could be a rival to Penn States popularity. "

A Temple/Pitt yearly game could be a rival to Penn States popularity.

Nobody cared when they played in the Big East. Let’s not forget Temple got booted from the BE since they could not hit minimum attendance. The have a media market and that is it.

Fair. But "a pretty good rivalry" is vastly different from "A Temple/Pitt yearly game could be a rival to Penn States popularity. "
If they could kick off the first game with like a midfield scuffle, it could send things in the right direction.

I don't think Temple/Pitt would rival a Penn State game, but Temple/Notre Dame could. In fact that game did rival Temple/Penn State a few years ago. They both sold out the Linc. Adding Temple would be in the context of ND coming in too. Penn State will remain king in Philly just like Georgia is in Atlanta. But having GT in the ACC at least puts the ACC there too.

Nobody cared when they played in the Big East. Let’s not forget Temple got booted from the BE since they could not hit minimum attendance. The have a media market and that is it.
Temple has been on a decent roll for the last decade. I respect their program at this point and don't think the Orange could just show up and beat them.

I don't think Temple/Pitt would rival a Penn State game, but Temple/Notre Dame could. In fact that game did rival Temple/Penn State a few years ago. They both sold out the Linc. Adding Temple would be in the context of ND coming in too. Penn State will remain king in Philly just like Georgia is in Atlanta. But having GT in the ACC at least puts the ACC there too.
GTech is more academic than Temple. Temple is more like Miami or Houston or Cincy. Given the right circumstances, they could become a contender.

Seems odd to me that Texas would ever want to be such a geographic outpost. I can’t imagine their influential fanbase playing along.

Seems odd to me that Texas would ever want to be such a geographic outpost. I can’t imagine their influential fanbase playing along.
Texas just wants their Longhorn Network TV money and games within their region for their fanbase.

They don’t want to be an independent.
The current status quo works for them.

They get more money than the rest of their conference and get to play all their games within their region.

Notre Dame wants independence. Texas doesn’t.
Texas could easily do what Notre Dame does.
They are among the handful of schools that could.

Texas doesn’t want in the ACC.
They want the Big XII to remain how it is. The ACC is just a leverage move for Texas to keep their status quo.

A&M left the Big XII because they wanted out of Texas shadow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom