Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

ND thinks so highly of Navy that they have never played a game in Annapolis.

TampaLaker's point is still valid in that ND could have dropped Navy a long time ago but have kept them on the schedule out of loyalty.

Btw ND is playing in Annapolis in six weeks if covid doesn't disrupt.

Also not hard to figure out why the games haven't been played in Annapolis. Why play games in a 34,000 seat stadium in Annapolis when u can sell out the 71,000 seat stadium right down the road? C'mon longtimer, follow the money.

TampaLaker's point is still valid in that ND could have dropped Navy a long time ago but have kept them on the schedule out of loyalty.

Also not hard to figure out why the games haven't been played in Annapolis. Why play games in a 34,000 seat stadium in Annapolis when u can sell out the 71,000 seat stadium right down the road? C'mon longtimer, follow the money.

It has always been Navy's choice to play home games versus ND at a bigger stadium as opposed to at Annapolis..

That has been the case since 1927.

It has always been Navy's choice to play home games versus ND at a bigger stadium as opposed to at Annapolis..

Pretty understandable.

Then you can assure me that not once in 93 years (46 or 47 with Navy as the home team), have the Mids suggested that the game be played in Annapolis?

I'm sure that more money is made by shifting the game to larger venues. But this isn't the NFL we're talking about, and there should be the occasional bow to collegiality, especially when we're talking about a service academy and the self-proclaimed national Catholic university.

I know--get the stars out of my eyes (and replace them with dollar signs).

Then you can assure me that not once in 93 years (46 or 47 with Navy as the home team), have the Mids suggested that the game be played in Annapolis?

I'm sure that more money is made by shifting the game to larger venues. But this isn't the NFL we're talking about, and there should be the occasional bow to collegiality, especially when we're talking about a service academy and the self-proclaimed national Catholic university.

I know--get the stars out of my eyes (and replace them with dollar signs).

Call the Navy SID and ask him.

Didn't they teach you at ND that rhetorical questions are not expected to be answered?

You asked for proof. Your first sentence seemed anything but "rhetorical". You seemed an actual Doubting Thomas asking for an answer to a real question.

In any event, I figured you would only believe it if it came from an official Naval Academy source, hence my post.

Playing home games against ND at bigger stadiums has helped fund Navy athletics for almost 80 years. It has always been a nice payday for Navy.

Didn't they teach you at ND that rhetorical questions are not expected to be answered?

I think you put it well in an earlier post. You're not all that rational on the topic.

Playing home games against ND at bigger stadiums has helped fund Navy athletics for almost 80 years. It has always been a nice payday for Navy.

I don't think anything you've said is necessarily wrong, but it's pretty fun you think this, and it certainly speaks to the unwavering and irrational self-importance of Notre Dame fans.

at-and-t-wireless-ok-translator-large-7.jpg
" It's Happening", Terry.

I think you put it well in an earlier post. You're not all that rational on the topic.
Hey. . . Paul Hornung?

I suspect we're all a bit irrational about something.

But the college was founded by a French order, and was named "Notre Dame du Lac". Now, change is a constant, and ND is certainly allowed to veer during the course of 175 years (After all, SU was founded by the Methodists--as was Duke--and was led by an ordained minister for the first 100 years of its existence.) Just seems like if ND was going to move on from its Frenchness, it would have adopted the nationality of its Midwestern Catholic base, which was probably Polish, Croatian, etc. Better yet, why choose a nation as a nickname? Who else does? USC and MSU, if you want to count civilizations that have been gone for 2 millennia. FSU and a few others if tribes count as nations.

Anyway, I'm not terribly rational on the subject. November 18, 1961.

This is the 1961 I referenced.

ND does Navy a solid and you're blaming them for not playing the Midshipmen in Annapolis when it's clearly in Navy's best interest not to play ND there.

This is the 1961 I referenced.

ND does Navy a solid and you're blaming them for not playing the Midshipmen in Annapolis when it's clearly in Navy's best interest not to play ND there.
I think Navy did ND a much bigger solid, way back in the day.

No, Hornung's outrage was in the '50's. And Jim Brown would not have won anyway, although he was the best player.

Then there's Don McPherson vs Tim Brown. Is 1987 recent enough?

Seems your beef is with the Heisman voters. Quite often the best player does not win the Heisman. Tbh 1987 was a year where it seemed like nobody deserved the award. McPherson had a solid season but Heisman quality? meh

Seems your beef is with the Heisman voters. Quite often the best player does not win the Heisman. Tbh 1987 was a year where it seemed like nobody deserved the award. McPherson had a solid season but Heisman quality? meh
If you defend Brown over McPherson then you are trolling.
Brown had 39 catches for 846 yards 3TDs, 144 rushing yards and then 4 return TDs.
1987 Notre Dame 8-3

Don MacPherson had better stats and his team went 11-0.
That Heisman vote was a joke.

Racism is what cost Jim Brown his Heisman to a 2-8 Paul Hornung.

Tim Brown stats are laughable. He won because he returned 4 kicks for TDs on a team that wasn’t close to the NC race.

Compare his accomplishments that year to Brown's.

All it took was a 100-year pandemic.

Gotta be fair Navy could play ND at Annapolis every 2 years. They own the TV rights to the game as well.

They play at NFL stadiums or overseas because they make a lot of money off it. They control the gates to the games. Notre Dame treats Navy well unlike a lot of other supposed partners.

If you defend Brown over McPherson then you are trolling.
Brown had 39 catches for 846 yards 3TDs, 144 rushing yards and then 4 return TDs.
1987 Notre Dame 8-3

Don MacPherson had better stats and his team went 11-0.
That Heisman vote was a joke.

Racism is what cost Jim Brown his Heisman to a 2-8 Paul Hornung.

Tim Brown stats are laughable. He won because he returned 4 kicks for TDs on a team that wasn’t close to the NC race.

Good point with your first word- IF. Where did I even mention Tim Brown?

Compare his accomplishments that year to Brown's.

You and alsacs missed my point. Never said he didn't deserve it over Brown. Just felt like nobody stepped forward with a season worthy of a Heisman Trophy winner. jmo

And my other point is don't be mad at ND that Brown won the Heisman, be mad at the voters.

Longtimer I find u one of the more sage posters on this board but you're being flat out goofy on this one. As Terry D pointed out, Navy made the call on where to play. And they very logically chose a venue where they could double their gate. Kinda like criticizing SU hoops for not playing the Johnnies in Alumni Hall back in the day. Both parties wanted the larger venue to accommodate the fans and make more $$$. Economics 101.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom