Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

Well and maybe if we are throwing ND a bone, we are getting something else in return? Maybe a payment from ND as an offset. Maybe some schedule home and homes, maybe other considerations? Dunno. Maybe we are playing the long game and just don't want to curb stomp someone who we want to be a partner with?

I am a Syracuse fan. I grew up in Skaneateles (making me a "Laker") and still follow SU. Flew up for three games last year to attend with my brother in law who has seasons.
Ah gotcha sorry. Thought with the Florida handle could have been another team.

Anyway good argument even though I don’t think Notre Dame cares. They always talked about helping the Big East football teams and they never did. Notre Dame cares about Notre Dame. They are loyal to Navy but a lot of their fans want that series ended because of the cut blocking from Navy.

Doubt they ever will, willingly. What happens to their NBC agreement if they stop being independent?

Doubt they ever will, willingly. What happens to their NBC agreement if they stop being independent?

It's not a condition of independence? ALSACS probably knows much more than I do but they have purchased the home games of Notre Dame (and i think the Shamrock Series games). If they were to move to the ACC, there would have to be some sort of carveout-makewhole based on this.

I'm sure their move to the ACC has zero to do with the structure of that NBC deal from NBC's side. Probably talking 2 more ACC games on the home schedule versus what they have now.

All of these issues would go away if the playoff stipulated you needed to be in a conference to participate in the playoff. The legacy is alive and kicking because they won't do it. Ever. ND is allowed to make their own rules. Same with Texas too. These brands are iconic and will always make their own rules.

The equality is very thin. They showed their colors when they invited us the first time and then pulled the rug out from us. VA Tech, UVA, NC Schools were totally fine with us slinking back to the Big East. That decision cost us real money and frankly set us back. Things were righted when there was no choice for the ACC but to include us years later.

These things will destabilize again. Bees back me up, Get the Maryland Mole on speed dial. :)
Duke & UNC abstaining did “us” in.

I mean if you let them play in the ACC CG this year they might decide they want to stay.

They might be ND but 6 ACC wins and 4 Indy wins will not get them into the playoffs undefeated. A 2 loss SEC gets in over that.

My preference is to let them rot and cancel the games with them. But if we don’t do that let them vie for the ACC title.

Could be for this year. After that probably still not financially worth it for them.

Then ACC could just dont let them in for this year unless they recieve a multi year commitment. ACC has leverage and they need to use it. Or ND could just waste a year of football.

ND is in the ACC for all sports other than football.
The ACC has a 16 year lock on ND for football conference membership.
ND is good for the ACC network.
It is good business to help out a partner when they are in need.
The ACC is making a great business decision and doing the right thing. In business you gain much more by helping partners than by trying to leverage or take advantage of them. Especially when the situation is caused by an act of God.
Great decision by the ACC.

I believe that ND is under contract with NBC until 2025. I would imagine that there will be dialogue starting with ND in 2023 sometime. If ND signs with NBC for another decade then the ACC can cut bait at that point. My guess is that they won't because they like to be able to include ND academically as a part of the ACC portfolio of institutions. Just maybe ESPN makes an aggressive offer or Disney has ABC make a play and ESPN backdoors into ND. It should be interesting in a few years to see/hear how that plays out.

ND is in the ACC for all sports other than football.
The ACC has a 16 year lock on ND for football conference membership.
ND is good for the ACC network.
It is good business to help out a partner when they are in need.
The ACC is making a great business decision and doing the right thing. In business you gain much more by helping partners than by trying to leverage or take advantage of them. Especially when the situation is caused by an act of God.
Great decision by the ACC.
The Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12 won’t give Notre Dame the deal the ACC did.

Maybe the Big XII would but Notre Dame wouldn’t want to play those schools every single year.

Notre Dame Olympic sports and basketball do very little for the ACC Network that is ESPN/Disney doing the TV stuff and the ACC schools doing the other part.

Notre Dame gets to have their cake and eat it as well.

The ACC is showing how weak they truly are that would help a non-TV partner and nonfootball member when they aren’t getting anything yet.

If Notre Dame actually gives the conference something then it makes some sense but bailing them out without getting something real is just stupid business.

The Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12 won’t give Notre Dame the deal the ACC did.

Maybe the Big XII would but Notre Dame wouldn’t want to play those schools every single year.

Notre Dame Olympic sports and basketball do very little for the ACC Network that is ESPN/Disney doing the TV stuff and the ACC schools doing the other part.

Notre Dame gets to have their cake and eat it as well.

The ACC is showing how weak they truly are that would help a non-TV partner and nonfootball member when they aren’t getting anything yet.

If Notre Dame actually gives the conference something then it makes some sense but bailing them out without getting something real is just stupid business.

maybe the ACC is doing the right thing for their student athletes here. ND football players aren’t concerned with television rights.

it’s still amateur sports (I’m holding my nose yes). To be callous about it during a time when 130k people have died is something. Let ND in. To be anything but hospitable will look awful for the membership going forward. I’d rather do the right thing than the vindictive thing.

maybe the ACC is doing the right thing for their student athletes here. ND football players aren’t concerned with television rights.

it’s still amateur sports (I’m holding my nose yes). To be callous about it during a time when 130k people have died is something. Let ND in. To be anything but hospitable will look awful for the membership going forward. I’d rather do the right thing than the vindictive thing.

Tough. This isn’t charity either. Notre Dame made the choice to be an independent and their athletes made the choice to go there. They can transfer if they want. Live with the consequences.

Lol

Then cancel the season. Why risk the players health during a pandemic then.

This is all about the money.

Membership has its privileges - and its benefits. ND is all about ND. The ACC should be all about the ACC. Help ND out. But get something for it. It’s not personal. It’s just business. You don’t want to be a full member? You don’t get full member privileges.

Tough. This isn’t charity either. Notre Dame made the choice to be an independent and their athletes made the choice to go there. They can transfer if they want. Live with the consequences.

ND fan here.

I agree with Alsacs and others.

I don't want ND football to be officially a formal part of the ACC in 2020.

Playing as a full member and being eligible for the conference championship, even for one year, is too much entanglement/integration.

A couple of replacement games? Sure. If the ACC is unwilling, ok no hard feelings. Understood.

Full membership for football for a year? Playing for the league title? Too much.

Full membership forever as a demand or an ultimatum? No.

Frankly, with the move of the Navy game from Dublin, the cancellation of the Wisconsin Lambeau Field game and the cancellation of Southern Cal and Stanford games, almost all the appeal of the season is lost for me.

Too bad because with those games and the ACC games in NFL stadiums (Pitt, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech), 2020 was shaping up as a great schedule with great venues.

I know that Jack Swarbrick, the ND administration and alumni/fans are grateful for any assistance, but an all ACC schedule would not just be the same (Granted, much better than an all indy one).

At this point, I would rather ND play a cobbled together schedule or just cancel the season rather than play as a full ACC member, competing for the ACC title for one year.

Anyway, this is all pretty much moot. The odds of a 2020 season are about zero.

Anyway, this is all pretty much moot. The odds of a 2020 season are about zero.
Agree with your final point. We’re going to have a lot of time on our hands this fall to discuss recruiting, uniforms, and tubas.

Lol

im all for the safety. I premise it all w the condition If it’a safe to do any of it. my opinion is they aren’t playing and this is all an exercise

But if we are going to message board up hypotheticals let me at least have an opinion on them playing.

im all for the safety. I premise it all w the condition If it’a safe to do any of it. my opinion is they aren’t playing and this is all an exercise

But if we are going to message board up hypotheticals let me at least have an opinion on them playing.
It’s okay to be an idealist.
It’s a good quality to have.

When talking about money idealism never works. Notre Dame has a football contract with NBC they don’t share that money it’s their right and smart.
The ACC football conference has its own football contract.

The idea the ACC would do something idealistic is just not reasonable.

Notre Dame has to give the conference something or if they help them without getting something this conference is showing how truly weak it is.

Lol

As the stereotypical mustachioed British army sergeant, swagger stick under his arm, says in the movies, "Wait for it!!!! ..."

Membership has its privileges - and its benefits. ND is all about ND. The ACC should be all about the ACC. Help ND out. But get something for it. It’s not personal. It’s just business. You don’t want to be a full member? You don’t get full member privileges.

The rest of the ACC gets games and ratings. They all work together, this is just how it goes. Don't understand why anyone gets stirred up over this stuff.

It’s okay to be an idealist.
It’s a good quality to have.

When talking about money idealism never works. Notre Dame has a football contract with NBC they don’t share that money it’s their right and smart.
The ACC football conference has its own football contract.

The idea the ACC would do something idealistic is just not reasonable.

Notre Dame has to give the conference something or if they help them without getting something this conference is showing how truly weak it is.

ND makes less TV/conference payout money than just about any P5 school. Wake Forest makes as much or more.

ND makes about $22 million from NBC, $6.8 million from ESPN/ACC, and a small amount from NBC Sports for home hockey games. That is about $30 million, total.

Most ACC schools make that much or more. At best, it is a wash.

So, there is no monetary "concession" for ND to make here. Nothing to share.

For comparison, Purdue as a Big Ten member makes about $35 million a year more from TV/conference payouts than ND does.

If forced into a football conference against its will by a Covid related ultimatum, ND would do much better to consider the Big Ten and make an extra $35 million a year doing it (while holding its nose).

For that amount between now and 2036, it may be worth challenging a GOR that doesn't cover ND football anyway.

How much is $35 million x 16 years?

As the stereotypical mustachioed British army sergeant, swagger stick under his arm, says in the movies, "Wait for it!!!! ..."

1594477549502.png

ND makes less TV/conference payout money than just about any P5 school. Wake Forest makes as much or more.

ND makes about $22 million from NBC, $6.8 million from ESPN/ACC, and a small amount from NBC Sports for home hockey games. That is about $30 million, total.

Most ACC schools make that much or more. At best, it is a wash.

So, there is no monetary "concession" for ND to make here. Nothing to share.

For comparison, Purdue as a Big Ten member makes about $35 million a year more from TV/conference payouts than ND does.

If forced into a football conference against its will by an ultimatum, ND would do much better to consider the Big Ten and make an extra $35 million a year doing it (while holding its nose).

For that amount between now and 2036, it may be worth challenging a GOR that doesn't cover ND football anyway.
How much is $35 million x 16 years?
I would love Notre Dame go and join Ohio State and Michigan’s conference.
They would get paid and lose their identity.

It would be worth it to just watch that.

Notre Dame administration doesn’t forget the anti-Catholic sentiments and racism they got from Michigan.

I got ND family. I know the stuff.

Notre Dame in 1999 from London told the Big Ten ask us for membership just to turn them down.

Notre Dame keeps their own money. I never said it was the most money they could get.

The idea a conference with a TV deal with one partner would help a nonmember with a TV deal with another network is bad business. You know that as a lawyer.

It’s stupid.

If Notre Dame said we will play 6 ACC teams per year up from 5 currently which is what my source is telling me the ACC wants to get out this then its a win for both sides.