Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

Personally, I really do not care one way or another, but one thing that I think the ACC may be keeping in mind concerning ND football at this particular time. Why does ND play Navy every year? As I understand history, Navy agreed to play ND when ND needed rescuing. ND has demonstrated it has a long memory. It is possible that history can repeat, and ND will remember that the ACC has thrown it a lifeline for football this year.

And that institutional memory could have an impact in the future. Just like for Navy helping ND, and for UConn with its lawsuit against BC and the ACC.
ND thinks so highly of Navy that they have never played a game in Annapolis.

ND thinks so highly of Navy that they have never played a game in Annapolis.
I gotta be fair Notre Dame has no control where Navy plays its home games in the series.

Navy is a pretty national university and they like to play that game in San Diego, Baltimore or MetLife because they make a lot of more money playing it in the NFL stadium. Navy controls the gate from their home games with ND.
Unlike our MetLife games.

See my edited Big Ten post above for this.

As for Potato Famine, that just drove the Irish elsewhere to take over another country. :)
And what part of "l'université de notre dame du lac" is Irish?

I gotta be fair Notre Dame has no control where Navy plays its home games in the series.

Navy is a pretty national university and they like to play that game in San Diego, Baltimore or MetLife because they make a lot of more money playing it in the NFL stadium. Navy controls the gate from their home games with ND.
Unlike our MetLife games.
Don't you think ND has input (nudge, nudge) over where the ND @ Navy game is played?

And of course the Irish got the same deal in the late '50' to mid-'60's when the Mids were the bigger program, with 2 Heisman winners (on good teams, as opposed to Hornung's 2-8 ND team)?

Don't you think ND has input (nudge, nudge) over where the ND @ Navy game is played?

And of course the Irish got the same deal in the late '50' to mid-'60's when the Mids were the bigger program, with 2 Heisman winners (on good teams, as opposed to Hornung's 2-8 ND team)?
Honestly I don’t.
I think Notre Dame knows Navy will use the game to make themselves so money but Navy controls where their home games are and Navy gets to keep the gate. Notre Dame doesn’t get half the gate like they did for the MetLife games.

I would strongly support the ACC giving ND an ultimatum. If you want to fill out your dance card, then sign up permanently for football too. Or get the F out, as the ACC is canceling ALL non conference games like everyone else. The ACC has to net lose money on all the other sports flying teams to South Bend, except for maybe basketball. The time to make a decision is now ND.

Unfortunately, I think it's all going to be to no end anyway. The likelihood of a fall college football season is very low. I just don't see it happening. Maybe spring time.

There’s no need for any of this.

you’re all missing the big fat pink elephant in the room.

When the big dogs LEAVE the NCAA...and they will...it will be by school and not conference.

It will likely be in the best interest of the school and conf, to remain in the NCAA for everything but football and men’s hoop.

Let’s randomly say Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, Fla St, VPI, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn St drive the bus off the reservation...

they are now calling the shots.

they will want organization and structure.

they will invite who they want.

id imagine they set up an NFL-esque lineup of divisions & conferences.

they will organize by region and rivalry.

I’d do confs of 9 teams, play everyone 1x and have 4 nonconf games.

8 conferences, 72 teams.

8 teams make playoffs.

you want to have the top 2 in conf play each other again 1st to determine your playoff entry?...Knock yourself out.

no independents.

no independent ND...UNLESS, theyd like to stay in the NCAA.

ND is about to be wagged and they don’t know it.

When the big dogs LEAVE the NCAA...and they will...it will be by school and not conference.

It will likely be in the best interest of the school and conf, to remain in the NCAA for everything but football and men’s hoop.

Let’s randomly say Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, Fla St, VPI, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn St drive the bus off the reservation...

8 conferences, 72 teams.

8 teams make playoffs.

you want to have the top 2 in conf play each other again 1st to determine your playoff entry?...Knock yourself out.

no independents.

The P5 already made their own rules with the NCAA. That was part of the way to keep the NCAA in existence.

The SEC is not going to let the Big Ten govern them.

The PAC-12 is the Big Ten’s little b.

The SEC doesn’t like the ACC but they view them like a little brother.

The Big XII exists as long as Texas allows it.

Notre Dame will have a seat at the table.

Notre Dame is in a Cold War with the Big Ten.

Eventually one side will win.
Notre Dame succombs to its daddy or they join another football conference.

It’s coming.

There are 65 teams in the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII and ND.

One school will eventually fall out and the 4x16 with pods will be the endgame.

The Big XII has to hope Notre Dame joins the Big Ten and Clemson/Florida State would jump to their conference.

The ACC just needs Texas or Oklahoma to finish off the Big XII.

The SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 are safe.

The P5 already made their own rules with the NCAA. That was part of the way to keep the NCAA in existence.

The SEC is not going to let the Big Ten govern them.

The PAC-12 is the Big Ten’s little b.

The SEC doesn’t like the ACC but they view them like a little brother.

The Big XII exists as long as Texas allows it.

Notre Dame will have a seat at the table.

Notre Dame is in a Cold War with the Big Ten.

Eventually one side will win.
Notre Dame succombs to its daddy or they join another football conference.

It’s coming.

There are 65 teams in the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big XII and ND.

One school will eventually fall out and the 4x16 with pods will be the endgame.

The Big XII has to hope Notre Dame joins the Big Ten and Clemson/Florida State would jump to their conference.

The ACC just needs Texas or Oklahoma to finish off the Big XII.

The SEC, Big Ten, and Pac-12 are safe.
I think you will have a scenario where schools are in both the ncaa and the new power playas only league.

some G5’s will be allowed to join the party.

this will be how we see a ’conference/division’ of ped st, Cuse, Pitt, bc, wv, ruttie etc.

nebraska doesn’t need to stay in the b1g, nor does aTm in the SEC...for those ’confs’ will just be a shell of themselves.

spread the wealth out, you could even see 10 confs of 9.

with 2 wild cards and top 4 get a bye.

when schools leave the ncaa, they’re not bringing the full conference baggage with them.

why bother??

I think you will have a scenario where schools are in both the ncaa and the new power playas only league.

some G5’s will be allowed to join the party.

this will be how we see a ’conference/division’ of ped st, Cuse, Pitt, bc, wv, ruttie etc.

nebraska doesn’t need to stay in the b1g, nor does aTm in the SEC...for those ’confs’ will just be a shell of themselves.

spread the wealth out, you could even see 10 confs of 9.

with 2 wild cards and top 4 get a bye.

when schools leave the ncaa, they’re not bringing the full conference baggage with them.

why bother??
Conferences are corporations.
Corporations care about money.
The Big Ten and SEC aren’t going to break up when they make a lot of money right now.
Becoming smaller hurts their bottom
Lines because they own cable boxes and get themselves more revenue via their cable networks.

The ACC has a network so they are safe as long as North Carolina doesn’t leave the conference and ESPN remains committed to the conference.

The conferences aren’t going to get smaller.
They need the tomato cans so they can play home games and make more money.

Until the Notre Dame-Big Ten Cold War ends their won’t be an endgame to conference realignment.
Their is only one rule as it applies to conference realignment whatever the worst possible thing that can happen will happen to Uconn.

Geez, this thread is looking like a UConn Boneyard thread where they what-if scenarios to get into a P5. :p

Nice to have you on board, I had said would love to get to 20 teams, adding Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Baylor, West Virginia. Then go to 4 pods of 5. Notre Dame could then have Texas as a crossover game every year.
How do you decide who plays in a championship game with 5 pods? You're only allowed to have 1 game, not a tournament.

And what part of "l'université de notre dame du lac" is Irish?
The CSC, which runs ND, is a French order. Father Corby, the 3rd president of ND, was born here in the US, was a member of the CSC order, and was a chaplain of the Irish Brigade in the Civil War. He gave general absolution to the Brigade before it marched into battle at Gettysburg. Hence, "Fighting Irish".

The Big Ten and SEC aren’t going to break up when they make a lot of money right now.
Lines because they own cable boxes and get themselves more revenue via their cable networks.

The ACC has a network so they are safe as long as North Carolina doesn’t leave the conference and ESPN remains committed to the conference.

Until the Notre Dame-Big Ten Cold War ends their won’t be an endgame to conference realignment.
Their is only one rule as it applies to conference realignment whatever the worst possible thing that can happen will happen to Uconn.
How do you decide who plays in a championship game with 5 pods? You're only allowed to have 1 game, not a tournament.
That's when you go to 8 teams, 5 conference champions, and 3 at large. More tv money and get rid of some minor bowls.

The tomato cans will come from other conference also-rans.

regardless, when they leave the NCAA, ND ain’t staying independent.

things will roll back to 9 or 10.

bloated 14 team conferences will look so ridiculous.

$$ will be spread around

8 conferences, 72 teams.

8 teams make playoffs.

no independents.

Serious question; Why would a mega-conference want 72 teams?

The CSC, which runs ND, is a French order. Father Corby, the 3rd president of ND, was born here in the US, was a member of the CSC order, and was a chaplain of the Irish Brigade in the Civil War. He gave general absolution to the Brigade before it marched into battle at Gettysburg. Hence, "Fighting Irish".
But the college was founded by a French order, and was named "Notre Dame du Lac". Now, change is a constant, and ND is certainly allowed to veer during the course of 175 years (After all, SU was founded by the Methodists--as was Duke--and was led by an ordained minister for the first 100 years of its existence.) Just seems like if ND was going to move on from its Frenchness, it would have adopted the nationality of its Midwestern Catholic base, which was probably Polish, Croatian, etc. Better yet, why choose a nation as a nickname? Who else does? USC and MSU, if you want to count civilizations that have been gone for 2 millennia. FSU and a few others if tribes count as nations.

Anyway, I'm not terribly rational on the subject. November 18, 1961.

A few facts to remember when debating the issue:

SU has been wanted by the ACC longer than most in this tread imagine, they could have - and in hindsight - should have joined when FSU joined.
The Irish have historically played several games on the east coast, the academies and a mix of other schools. They draw their student body from Catholic populations and, coincidently, there are many Catholics along the east coast.
ND plays Stanford and USC to play on the west coast.
The Irish have honored a promise to Navy because Navy was there for ND, if I recall, in WWII.
The B1G flatly rejected ND membership a long time ago.
ND has been up front about keeping football independent, first with the Big East, which had no formal agreement to play ND in football, and now in the ACC with a guarantee of five games annually.
The Big East rescued ND when they needed a landing spot for all non-football sports, and was key to a resurrecting the Irish hoops program.
ND has a long memory, see Navy.
The ACC member schools have agreed to the current deal. Obviously, they are content with the deal.
Syracuse is a member school and lobbied for ND with the ACC. SU is happy having ND in the conference as is.
The ACC is not going to twist ND's arm for football membership based on one season, or even two.
The ACC would gladly accept ND football at any time.
ND is very happy with the deal. They did not want to go to the B1G nor to the B12.

With the above in mind:
Who cares if ND makes a couple million more or less with their NBC deal?
Who cares if the ACC plays a few extra games against ND this fall? Isn't helping others a good thing? Especially in a crisis?
Like it or not, ND is an ACC team in everything but football, with a football scheduling deal. Enjoy the games for what they are, CFB games. Cheer on our ACC compadres when they play ND, I do.

Serious question; Why would a mega-conference want 72 teams?
72 is big enough to avoid litigation.

I've thought for a while 72-80 teams is about the right number. I could be talked into as high as 90 teams. I think Cuse is safe at 64 Big Boy teams. They probably make the cut at 48 Big Boy teams but barely.

I've thought for a while 72-80 teams is about the right number. I could be talked into as high as 90 teams. I think Cuse is safe at 64 Big Boy teams. They probably make the cut at 48 Big Boy teams but barely.

Next serious questions;
  • What litigation?
  • Why would the big boys (top 20) want to share money with 72 - 80 teams when they could get the same contract with only 36 - 48 teams?

Next serious questions;
  • What litigation?
  • Why would the big boys (top 20) want to share money with 72 - 80 teams when they could get the same contract with only 36 - 48 teams?
The less teams include the greater chance a Senator or other pol will make things tough.

Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Connecticut (Storrs)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Louisville (Louisville)
Kentucky (Lexington)
Duke (Durham)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Tennessee (Knoxville)

South Carolina (Columbia)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia (Athens)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Auburn (Auburn)
Florida (Gainesville)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Missouri (Columbia)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
UNLV (Las Vegas)
Boise St (Boise)
BYU (Provo)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
Houston (Houston)

USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
San Diego St (San Diego)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)

Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Connecticut (Storrs)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Louisville (Louisville)
Kentucky (Lexington)
Duke (Durham)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Tennessee (Knoxville)

South Carolina (Columbia)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia (Athens)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Auburn (Auburn)
Florida (Gainesville)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Missouri (Columbia)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
UNLV (Las Vegas)
Boise St (Boise)
BYU (Provo)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
Houston (Houston)

USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
San Diego St (San Diego)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)
You get where I’m going, but storz is out.

wake is in.

would also need to distribute some power teams in your divisions...but I like it.

For example, mix some of the N & S to break up a weak northeast and super strong souths.

Last edited:
You get where I’m going, but storz is out.

wake is in.

would also need to distribute some power teams in your divisions...but I like it.

For example, mix some of the N & S to break up a weak northeast and super strong souths.
Nice job.

I don’t see Notre Dame listed. That isn’t happening.

Minor quibbles: Hard to not include UCF and Memphis. If Temple builds an on campus stadium, I think they could get a seat. I think markets and fan base will get more priority than strict geography. But this is pretty close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom