Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

My sell to Notre Dame is we give you 3 annual opponents that will give your fanbase interest Florida State, Miami, Boston College.
You can still play USC annually.
You play them on the road to end your regular season every 2 years and the other season you end your season in Miami against the Hurricanes.

That means your coaching staff can finish the year recruiting in California one year the following year they recruit in Florida. Notre Dame fans will take over Hard Rock Stadium every 2 years on Thanksgiving weekend.
Both hotbeds for recruiting.

It likely means they dump Stanford annually and means basically Stanford is replaced by Miami on their annual schedule.

Keep USC, Navy and you got 2 opening every year.

I sold this idea to my uncle he said he hates it because he wants independence forever but it’s the type of thing that could work if Miami became Miami again and then Notre Dame would have Miami and USC even though Lou Holtz was the guy who pulled the plug on the Miami-ND annual game in the 90s.

My sell to Notre Dame is we give you 3 annual opponents that will give your fanbase interest Florida State, Miami, Boston College.
You can still play USC annually.
You play them on the road to end your regular season every 2 years and the other season you end your season in Miami against the Hurricanes.

That means your coaching staff can finish the year recruiting in California one year the following year they recruit in Florida. Notre Dame fans will take over Hard Rock Stadium every 2 years on Thanksgiving weekend.
Both hotbeds for recruiting.

It likely means they dump Stanford annually and means basically Stanford is replaced by Miami on their annual schedule.

Keep USC, Navy and you got 2 opening every year.

I sold this idea to my uncle he said he hates it because he wants independence forever but it’s the type of thing that could work if Miami became Miami again and then Notre Dame would have Miami and USC even though Lou Holtz was the guy who pulled the plug on the Miami-ND annual game in the 90s.

I assume this is full ACC membership with the proviso they get the 3 games yearly vs FSU/UM/BC? If ND considers that I would assume the ACC would just rejigger the conferences so ND is with those 3 schools yearly anyway.

Would they keep the NBC contract or fold it into the ACC?

I assume this is full ACC membership with the proviso they get the 3 games yearly vs FSU/UM/BC? If ND considers that I would assume the ACC would just rejigger the conferences so ND is with those 3 schools yearly anyway.

Would they keep the NBC contract or fold it into the ACC?
I posted pods a message before.

It would 4 pods of 4 which would give the ACC flexibility to reconfigure the divisions every other year so that every team would play each other more frequently while protecting rivalries.

If ND were to commit fulltime the ACC would need to cater to their needs a little bit.
Giving ND a pod with Boston College, and two national power Florida schools is the right approach.
It is an easier to sell to their fanbase which will initially hate the idea.

If Cincinnati came on it would be easy to pod the ACC.

Pod 1
Louisville
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Pod 2
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Duke
North Carolina

Pod 3
Miami
Notre Dame
Florida State
Boston College

Pod 4
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech

The pods rotate so as the divisions aren’t locked in every season. 2 pods on each side and the winners of the sides play in the conference title game.

Easy scheduling that will never happen but should if I were in leadership.

IMO better to have

ND
Miami
Pitt
BC

VA Tech
Louisville
Cincy
Cuse

GA Tech
UNC
Duke
UVA

Clemson
FSU
NC State
Wake

That gives you 7 in division plus two cross overs.

IMO better to have

ND
Miami
Pitt
BC

VA Tech
Louisville
Cincy
Cuse

GA Tech
UNC
Duke
UVA

Clemson
FSU
NC State
Wake

That gives you 7 in division plus two cross overs.
Or, perhaps more reasonably--because it doesn't include the pipedream of ND giving up its independence--the 3-5-5 model resurfaces, giving the B1G and SEC the flexibility to maintain their big traditional matchups and still arrange a championship game between their two best teams.

Or, perhaps more reasonably--because it doesn't include the pipedream of ND giving up its independence--the 3-5-5 model resurfaces, giving the B1G and SEC the flexibility to maintain their big traditional matchups and still arrange a championship game between their two best teams.
Annual game with Florida State guarantees Notre Dame a blue blood home game each year versus either Miami or FSU and an annual road game in Florida.

Notre Dame recruits nationally. Your setup assumes ND doesn’t need to be catered too. I am making sure they realize they are getting taken care of.

Per Mark Blaud:
As an enticement to accept that, the ACC added the offer of a full ACC revenue payout, which combined with Notre Dame's share of its television contract with NBC would be a boost in income for ND of more than 35 million dollars.

For that, however, he ACC clearly wants Notre Dame to accept a permanent position in football sooner rather than later, a move which would guarantee ND's financial athletic security.

Tough moral choice for ND, which traditionally has ignored all money matters as a deciding factor.

According to several sources familiar with the process, Swofford clearly is the force behind getting ND signed.

His term will come to an end in the several months and his successor--a long shot could be long time ESPN executive Burke Magnus--will have to deal with the consequences or benefits of any moves made this summer.

The uncertainty of all of this is that there might not be any ACC season at all in 2020, but plans still have to be made and the ACC and Notre Dame are both on the clock.

Which is why Cincy is the better fit. it will be easier for ND, Louisville, Pitt, and Cuse to recruit that area. Sure kids will look B1G first but there is plenty of talent there. Lots of b-ball talent too.
Yes, but then you're elevating Cincinnati and they get all the Ohio guys. I'd rather keep them as a G-5 and try to get the best Ohio guys that OSU doesn't take.

@ADavidHaleJoint

ACC is planning on an 11-game schedule — 10 conference, 1 OOC that must be played in home state. ND will play full 10 game schedule, too, and is eligible for the ACC title game. ND will also share TV rights with ACC. No games before Sept. 7.

Let's welcome ND to the ACC!

It is very good timing. NC football talent has been improving steadily over 20 years. That means that if UNC football ever got a top HC who was also proven to be a great recruiter. UNC football could hit sustained heights it has never known. Butch Davis was the first shot at doing that. The massive opposition to him by faculty and many of what I call basketball-first boosters meant he was a marked man from day 1.

Mack is the guy able to get it done. Most importantly, virtually all UNC basketball boosters really like him. For another, very few on the faculty dislike him. And then there is the fact that NC HS coaches love him as much as TX HS coaches did.

The very tough thing for Cuse football recruiting is that NY HS talent was never great, but now it is weaker than ever. Plus, PA produces less talent than it did 25 and especially 50 years ago. I think Cuse must hit NJ hard, and that probably means arranging a game to be in Giants Stadium every year. And I think Cuse must lead in trying to recruit Canada, where there is growing football talent. Successes on the field then will mean improved recruiting in the talent rich parts of the ACC footprint.

Cuse, Pitt, and BC all can become bigger winners, but all must be successful at selling the program as 'We are not in the South, but we play all those ACC teams from the South.' Guys from up north know how much talent is in the South. Staying in or near your own region while getting to face those teams from down south will appeal to many recruits.
The problem with Mack as coach is that he is now in the sunset years of his career. How much longer will he be coaching?

@ADavidHaleJoint

ACC is planning on an 11-game schedule — 10 conference, 1 OOC that must be played in home state. ND will play full 10 game schedule, too, and is eligible for the ACC title game. ND will also share TV rights with ACC. No games before Sept. 7.

Let's welcome ND to the ACC!
Does that mean ND's 10 game schedule is all ACC teams? If so, I can live with that.

I am floored that Swarbrick took this deal.
Even in a pandemic I am floored.
ND alums have to be livid.
Their independence is over. Even if it’s a one year thing. The Irish will no longer have never played a football season as a member of a conference.

Pop.

This is the first step.

None of the 3 northeastern states teams in the ACC should ever agree to have another northeastern school not named Penn St enter the ACC.

Why? Because the northeast produces very little football talent. The more teams in the northeast that are in a P5, the more that northeastern talent is watered down among schools. TV viewing works very much the same.

It is very good for both Cuse and BC that UConn football seems permanently reduced. You should not want to give Temple a leg up.
I don't subscribe to that philosophy. More teams mean more fan interest and more high school guys wanting to play for those teams. Competition breeds interest in any sport and the opposite is true as well.

The problem with Mack as coach is that he is now in the sunset years of his career. How much longer will he be coaching?
Not sure. I have warned about that from the get-go, In fact, I said that to be safe we should hire Scott Satterfield, who is a native of Hillsboro, NC - about 12 miles from Chapel Hill.

Mack clearly was rejuvenated by his time off. He looks and acts as he did when he led Texas against Bama for the National Championship. But he is soon to be 69. Very few men are as sharp at 75 as they are at 65. So UNC needs to have a hot plan every year. If Mack is replaced with another dud, as he was in 1997, then UNC football will tumble back down.

I don't subscribe to that philosophy. More teams mean more fan interest and more high school guys wanting to play for those teams. Competition breeds interest in any sport and the opposite is true as well.
Then UConn in the BE should have meant that HS football exploded with talent in New England and NYC, which led to a huge increase in people in those areas watching CFB.

I am floored that Swarbrick took this deal.
Even in a pandemic I am floored.
ND alums have to be livid.
Their independence is over. Even if it’s a one year thing. The Irish will no longer have never played a football season as a member of a conference.

Pop.

This is the first step.
as much as id want to believe that, i wouldnt be putting my cigar out in my whiskey just yet.

but since i can also see this type of scheduling being the status quo for 2021 too.

a 1st step is correct, but i dont think losing their conference 'virginity' carries that much weight in this pandemic.

however, as we keep going,...that Grant of Rights may just work out.

Then UConn in the BE should have meant that HS football exploded with talent in New England and NYC, which led to a huge increase in people in those areas watching CFB.
There are 60 million people in the states of NY, NJ, Pa and New England. All or almost all of the high schools have football. There is a lot of potential talent that could be developed, I've seen it. The BigEast conference was really starting to build up a strong regional following, but it broke up. It takes time for that to happen.

There are 60 million people in the states of NY, NJ, Pa and New England. All or almost all of the high schools have football. There is a lot of potential talent that could be developed, I've seen it. The BigEast conference was really starting to build up a strong regional following, but it broke up. It takes time for that to happen.
Those northeasterners watch and care about CFB much less than do Southerners and midwesterners, or even Rocky Mountaineers. That pattern can change only if PSU is in the same league with Cuse, Pitt, BC, and Notre Dame.

The ACC would love that, but there are no signs that PSU would be interested.

Not sure. I have warned about that from the get-go, In fact, I said that to be safe we should hire Scott Satterfield, who is a native of Hillsboro, NC - about 12 miles from Chapel Hill.

Mack clearly was rejuvenated by his time off. He looks and acts as he did when he led Texas against Bama for the National Championship. But he is soon to be 69. Very few men are as sharp at 75 as they are at 65. So UNC needs to have a hot plan every year. If Mack is replaced with another dud, as he was in 1997, then UNC football will tumble back down.
I always liked him, just not sure how much longer he can go, we are in somewhat the same position in BB with JAB. He is 75 and shows no signs of wanting to stop.