Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

Not in football. More parents are keeping their kids away. I would guess especially in the northeast where it's never been quite the way of life that it is in other parts of the country.
The demographics have changed in the northeast in the last 20 years.

I admire your commitment to this bit. It’s Andy Kaufman-esque.

feels like a wwf act.

umass when calipari had them high flying barely registered in the greater Boston area. My wife went there, I’ve spent an unhealthy amount of time in Amherst. It’s UNH with more students

you have no idea for 100 reasons. Biggest one is money. Legislature isn’t going to make the investment and zero t Boone types to self fund the complications of going full d1.

Don Quijote esque my man w this idea. Never will happen. Actually w covid I suspect their football will be scrapped sooner rather than later

You are correct that the B1G got a payday by adding UM and Rutgers. However, simply adding NE and s not the same, you are comparing apples and bricks. NE I'd six separate states with different mentalities. None are huge in football. The largest city couldn't care less about CFB. Jersey and the DMV produce football players, not so much from the NE states.

Another issue is that the payday the B1G received was before the shift towards cutting the cord. You are assuming they will get the same payday simply based on population numbers.

Sure, the B1G would likely get some bump but nothing like claiming the DMV and the NYC markets.
Even if the cord is cut the eyeballs are still in those states and that's what produces revenue thru advertising.

feels like a wwf act.

umass when calipari had them high flying barely registered in the greater Boston area. My wife went there, I’ve spent an unhealthy amount of time in Amherst. It’s UNH with more students

you have no idea for 100 reasons. Biggest one is money. Legislature isn’t going to make the investment and zero t Boone types to self fund the complications of going full d1.

Don Quijote esque my man w this idea. Never will happen. Actually w covid I suspect their football will be scrapped sooner rather than later
In your region of the country, you have 1 P5 school, BC, which is an elite private catholic school that engenders no feelings from anyone there, even catholics whose college football passions go to ND. UCONN pretty much decommissioned their program, which taken together, leaves a vacuum in a large and lucrative market. That is my last statement on UMASS.

In your region of the country, you have 1 P5 school, BC, which is an elite private catholic school that engenders no feelings from anyone there, even catholics whose college football passions go to ND. UCONN pretty much decommissioned their program, which taken together, leaves a vacuum in a large and lucrative market. That is my last statement on UMASS.

Let me explain it slowly. No demand, no need.

Do you ever wonder why the Big East never ever ever considered Umass to join? I mean Holy Cross was considered for the Big East when the conference was forming. A school that is the size of Seton Hall.

Boston College satiates the locals enough. The 189 other colleges in the area don't play football and those that did at a fairly high level (BU/Northeastern) have removed their programs.

Greater Boston is not thirsting for college football. I'll grant you this: If ND moves to Wellesley or Penn State moves to Brockton, you will see an uptick in interest. And that is my TED Talk.

The demographics have changed in the northeast in the last 20 years.

For the worse. Look at the big uglies we recruited in the late 80s from NYS, doesn't exist in those numbers anymore.

For the worse. Look at the big uglies we recruited in the late 80s from NYS, doesn't exist in those numbers anymore.

to further augment this point, one of the bigger issues at the state MIAA meeting last week was the consolidation of high schools playing football and where they should be placed division wise. It's becoming the norm not the exception. Translation: Less people are playing football up here and it's only getting worse.

Umass should just start up a division 1 robotics team or e-sports. Those are the growth sports, not football

I used to make fun of the occasional 'original ACC fan' type, that would wonder if perhaps adding Davidson or William&Mary might be a good idea.
You mean re-adding Davidson.

Jack Swarbrick speaks about these issues:

"Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said the program's partnership with the ACC for the 2020 football season was the result of "unusual circumstances unrelated to Notre Dame's long-term assessment of independence."

The ACC board of directors on Wednesday approved a plan in which all conference schools and Notre Dame will play 10 league games plus one non-conference game of their choosing -- only if public health guidance allows -- and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There won't be any divisions in the ACC for this season only.

Although the Irish have clung famously to their independence, Swarbrick said this decision wasn't difficult because it made the most sense. As part of its contractual agreement with the ACC, Notre Dame had already had six games scheduled with the conference, including Clemson. The Irish added Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh and North Carolina.

"This is just an unprecedented and extraordinary year, and you recognize that going in," Swarbrick told ESPN on Thursday morning. "Could we have constructed a schedule without this? Yes, but given the uncertainties that everybody faces, you couldn't exactly be sure what you have. There was a greater level of control and certainty if we could do this with the ACC than if we had just constructed the schedule ourselves."

Jack Swarbrick speaks about these issues:

"Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said the program's partnership with the ACC for the 2020 football season was the result of "unusual circumstances unrelated to Notre Dame's long-term assessment of independence."

The ACC board of directors on Wednesday approved a plan in which all conference schools and Notre Dame will play 10 league games plus one non-conference game of their choosing -- only if public health guidance allows -- and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There won't be any divisions in the ACC for this season only.

Although the Irish have clung famously to their independence, Swarbrick said this decision wasn't difficult because it made the most sense. As part of its contractual agreement with the ACC, Notre Dame had already had six games scheduled with the conference, including Clemson. The Irish added Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh and North Carolina.

"This is just an unprecedented and extraordinary year, and you recognize that going in," Swarbrick told ESPN on Thursday morning. "Could we have constructed a schedule without this? Yes, but given the uncertainties that everybody faces, you couldn't exactly be sure what you have. There was a greater level of control and certainty if we could do this with the ACC than if we had just constructed the schedule ourselves."

My entire ND alum family would rather the 2020 football season be cancelled than do what Swarbrick and ND agreed to do yesterday.

This decision starts the ball rolling. If the season is played and ND makes the ACC title game and helps make the CFB playoffs it hurts the independence movement.

My entire ND alum family would rather the 2020 football season be cancelled than do what Swarbrick and ND agreed to do yesterday.

This decision starts the ball rolling. If the season is played and ND makes the ACC title game and helps make the CFB playoffs it hurts the independence movement.
Are they older alums? I notice the younger alumni do not care as much.

Are they older alums? I notice the younger alumni do not care as much.
I have my godfather uncle and aunt, 3 cousins in 20/30s.
Uncle is a diehard and is pissed.
Aunt doesn’t really care about sports.

Cousins are split. 2 are pissed and 1 doesn’t care.

It’s going to come down to much the ND fans care about the perception of maintaining always being football independent.

if theres ever a time to say "OK, Boomer..."

thats it.

If you were right ND would have joined a conference by now. There fanbase cares about this.
which is sad because theyve had some F4 caliber teams that wouldve made it if they were affiliated.

Ah, no worries about the 'sacredness' of independence for the Domers and its faithful. Sometime afterwards, the holier than thou institution of hypocrisy can then commence the "Declaration of Nullity" (annulment) procedure and pretend its marriage never existed. However, of course, their most sacred offerings ($$$) that the ACC provided the sanctimonous institution will be kept and remain dearest to their heart for all eternity.

I have my godfather uncle and aunt, 3 cousins in 20/30s.
Uncle is a diehard and is pissed.
Aunt doesn’t really care about sports.

Cousins are split. 2 are pissed and 1 doesn’t care.

It’s going to come down to much the ND fans care about the perception of maintaining always being football independent.
Would the pissed diehards stop following ND, if they stopped being independent?

If we get ND permanently, could the division split become a north-south thing?

If it's just
If we get ND permanently, could the division split become a north-south thing?
If 15 teams, then there will be no divisions because the rules require they have an equal number of teams in each division. We'd either use 4-5-5 or 2-6-6 scheduling. 2-6-6 gives ND and the teams that have SEC rivals greater OOC scheduling flexibility. For example, ND could keep Navy, Stanford, and USC and still have an OOC slot for someone else. UVa and VPI would still have flexibility to schedule the (UGH!) VA D-1AA teams to keep the legislature happy.
If 16, we'd have to go to 4 x 4-team pods. The upside to this is that we'd be able to switch the "divisions" every two years to get some new matchups.

Would the pissed diehards stop following ND, if they stopped being independent?

For years, many big ND donors have told the administration that they would withhold athletic donations if ND ever gave up football independence.

Whether you believe they would or not isn't important. What is important is that ND's administration has always believed them.

For years, many big ND donors have told the administration that they would withhold athletic donations if ND ever gave up football independence.

Whether you believe they would or not isn't important. What is important is that ND's administration has always believed them.
Call their bluff. ;)

Doug Flutie won the Heisman in the 1980s.

In 2007 Boston College started the season 7-0 and was #2 in the nation and nobody in Boston cared.

UMass is in Amherst. Amherst and Western MA are completely different culturally than Boston.

UMass will never be in the Big Ten.
The Big Ten will never take on a program that doesn’t have Pedegree because they don’t have too!! Big Ten has so much money, why would they take on a team like UMass when it brings nothing to the Big Ten at all! it will never happen so the fact that this conversation is even going on it’s just laughable to me