Will Judah run it back again? (again) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Will Judah run it back again? (again)

In our 21 games this year, Judah has only shot above 50% from the field 4 times. He’s had a handful off games right at 50%. When he has shooting nights below 50% and low assist numbers, those are inefficient games, I don’t care how many free throws you make.
He's shooting 42% from the field which isn't too bad. Where he's killing us is his turnover numbers. Averaging 3 turnovers a game with an assist to turnover ratio of 1.45. That ranks 295th in the country. Not a recipe for success.

Hang on, hang on - the dude taking and making free throws at a record pace for our program is an inefficient scorer? The guy that scores a lot of his points in the most efficient way possible? That guy?

Hang on, hang on - the Philly kid that has by far the most swagger and style to his game that our program has enjoyed in forever, that guy doesn't care about looking good? Really? That guy doesn't care?

This thread got some TAKES y'all.
How about using the whole quote form my post and in context. "I agree with all points. He has flashy moves but as you posted, the inefficient scoring and lack of passing or pushing the ball drives a lot of us nuts. His major talent depends on the calls he gets on any given night. I for one am ready to see how we play as a team without his iso ball offense and sporadic defense."

He's a very inefficient scorer when he doesn't get the calls. Most of his attempts are to make contact and just a toss in the general direction of the basket.

Yeah, Judah will be gone after this season...Unless he closes with a flourish, it's doubtful he goes in the 2nd round. The guy has it all but lacks consistency. I think the "officiating" is starting to catch up to Judah. I'd like to see him pull up for a 12 footer rather than dribble into a melee for a turnover or off balance shot trying to get to the rim. At the end of last season, he started to hit the 3. Will we see that in the next 4-6 weeks?

There are always opportunities for a player as talented as Judah. Always will be. I have no problems with an Alpha player demanding the ball in his hands. We have talented players, Judah is the most talented of the bunch, perfect, no but he is our best player. I want my best guys with the ball, he just needs to keep working.
He is a work in progress. Red is his best chance to get to the league. He is demanding Judah perform as a point guard.
Judah tends to play like Iverson, but he’s not Iverson. (Who is?). That’s his biggest downside.
He needs to model a guy like Chris Paul.

IMO the chemistry of that 1996 team was perfect with Z running the show (as evidenced by us being 9 points from a title). It needed a completely selfless point guard to facilitate and allow Wallace, Hill and Burgan to be the focus of the offense. A ball-dominant PG like Lloyd could have easily disrupted that. Similar to how we were probably better off in 2010 without Jonny Flynn.
It’s about the fit of the parts.

Hang on, hang on - the dude taking and making free throws at a record pace for our program is an inefficient scorer? The guy that scores a lot of his points in the most efficient way possible? That guy?

Hang on, hang on - the Philly kid that has by far the most swagger and style to his game that our program has enjoyed in forever, that guy doesn't care about looking good? Really? That guy doesn't care?

This thread got some TAKES y'all.

His PER is 20.7 (I’m not counting Naheem, so he’s only behind Maliq)

We need him.

I think there is an argument to democratize lead guard responsibilities at times with Q. But we need Judah.

It’s about the fit of the parts.
q1hp7nzjy9s91.jpg

He's a very inefficient scorer when he doesn't get the calls.
The only guy that gets more calls in all of college basketball is Zach Edey.

I trim your post down and ignore the other context because the key point you think you're making is ignoring all sorts of other context.

Judah is a bizarrely efficient scorer for a guard.

It's clear we have fans that just don't like his game. That's fine. But don't make up that the reason why is because it's inefficient.

We need him.

I think there is an argument to democratize lead guard responsibilities at times with Q. But we need Judah.
I'm 100% on board with Q running the offense as much as possible.

That said, the stuff Judah gets critiqued for is wild.

We need him.

This is really what I was getting at. I don’t think it’s controversial. There’s a reason why all of our best lineups include Q.

I honestly don't see Judah back next year. IMO, he's going to do the draft process again. If he finds he can get drafted. even in the 2nd round, I think he will take his chances as I don't see him developing into anything close to a first rounder given his physical limitations. If he doesn't portray as draftable, I have a feeling he may look to move to another school for a year in the hopes that either a) somehow he magically finds something somewhere else or b) he gets a big big NIL deal.

But just my theory

The only guy that gets more calls in all of college basketball is Zach Edey.

I trim your post down and ignore the other context because the key point you think you're making is ignoring all sorts of other context.

Judah is a bizarrely efficient scorer for a guard.

It's clear we have fans that just don't like his game. That's fine. But don't make up that the reason why is because it's inefficient.
Not to mention this past game he was 7-8 from inside the 3 point stripe. The turnovers were definitely annoying in the first half but the dude was still super efficient in the paint despite not getting calls

He's been trending poorly the last few games, a couple of which we needed to win.

Has he?

He was 67% against FSU. Making 2 more wouldn’t have mattered in that one.

He was 0-2 against BC, so no trend data there.

You’d have to go 9 games back, to the Pitt game, to find the last instance of him shooting below his season percentage from the line (3-5) prior to those two games.

The game logs don’t support that he’s been trending down, imo. I know you said “few,” but I’m not sure we can draw a much of a trend line from 3 games; one of which saw just 2 attempts.

Last edited:
He is 73% in his last 5 Adios with “he is trending poorly”

4 misses out of 5 in the first half against Florida State, and not getting to the line at all against BC apparently colored my observation.

He's leaving for what he hopes is the NBA. I see him landing a 2 way contract.
I mean Buddy and Swider left to go undrafted and were praised for it when they got 2 way deals. Judah is 3rd leading scorer in the ACC and Syracuse is in line with expectations to the outside world. He is simply not falling out of that range of the top guys who don't get called in the 2nd round all the teams know about but its tough to make NBA rosters.

Syracuse didn't really hold up their end of the bargain year 2 for him losing Edwards over money his primary source for assists is tough. JJ was expected to be better and has been cold for a lot of games. Taylor is scared to shoot. Bell is our best shooter but when hes off hes the worst player on the floor. Cope and Brown are nice players but aren't really go to sidekicks for Mintz. Then you have the lowlife fans giving his grandpa a hard time.

I mean Buddy and Swider left to go undrafted and were praised for it when they got 2 way deals. Judah is 3rd leading scorer in the ACC and Syracuse is in line with expectations to the outside world. He is simply not falling out of that range of the top guys who don't get called in the 2nd round all the teams know about but its tough to make NBA rosters.

Syracuse didn't really hold up their end of the bargain year 2 for him losing Edwards over money his primary source for assists is tough. JJ was expected to be better and has been cold for a lot of games. Taylor is scared to shoot. Bell is our best shooter but when hes off hes the worst player on the floor. Cope and Brown are nice players but aren't really go to sidekicks for Mintz. Then you have the lowlife fans giving his grandpa a hard time.
This is a good take. I think it’s hard to estimate how losing McLeod Westry and an underperforming Taylor/Bell have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom