Winter/Spring Weight Room Progress | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Winter/Spring Weight Room Progress

The year was 2003. I had just finished an all state season as a 300 pound NG and received an invite to a prospect camp from the man, the myth, the legend; George Deleone.

As I’m walking into the field, Xavier Gaines remarks: “look at this chubby mothaf***”. I ran a 5.2 40 that day and Xavier Gaines remarks: “That chubby mothafuc*** can move”.

Two ACL tears, years of physical therapy, dropping 100 pounds; I’ve never come close to that time ever again. Everyone’s right, it’s a lot harder than it seems.

The year was 2003. I had just finished an all state season as a 300 pound NG and received an invite to a prospect camp from the man, the myth, the legend; George Deleone.

As I’m walking into the field, Xavier Gaines remarks: “look at this chubby mothaf***”. I ran a 5.2 40 that day and Xavier Gaines remarks: “That chubby mothafuc*** can move”.

Two ACL tears, years of physical therapy, dropping 100 pounds; I’ve never come close to that time ever again. Everyone’s right, it’s a lot harder than it seems.
You were invited because you were in a tiny group. Big boys that can move. Sorry about the ACL... but what was your shuttle? Lol

You were invited because you were in a tiny group. Big boys that can move. Sorry about the ACL... but what was your shuttle? Lol

Truth. Syracuse was at the game where I tore my 2nd ACL. Still remember GFL telling me not many scholarships were given to linemen with two ACL Surgeries. Best shuttle time clocked was 5.6. My cross training sport was tennis, as you can probably tell.

That’s a great article!

And too true - every couch potato/washed up HS athlete thinks they are way faster than they really are.

It’s not unlike how many people think they could be the 12th man on an NBA bench, getting paid 6-figures to do... nothing.

There was a reality show where noted 12th man Brian Scalabrine took on all comers -
AND DESTROYED THEM.

Something like 97% of HS athletes don’t make it to D1.

And 97% of D1 athletes never make it to the Pros.
Exactly. To earn a P5 scholly, you need to be 1 of the 1600 that separates themselves from the 250,000.

For the 200 O linemen that go P5, they need a freakish attribute, and it's usually speed/quickness. One of Airon's is his straight ahead speed. His other is his shuttle. 4.6? HS. That means he's probably quicker left to right than your HS's best linebacker, and he can do it at 300lbs.

Serv definitely runs a 4.9 forty. It's why he's here.

Last edited:
Truth. Syracuse was at the game where I tore my 2nd ACL. Still remember GFL telling me not many scholarships were given to linemen with two ACL Surgeries. Best shuttle time clocked was 5.6. My cross training sport was tennis, as you can probably tell.
Damn. Either way, you were in a tiny group(perhaps the smallest group of all players) of big guys that could move. Congrats. Your straight ahead indicates that you could have dropped your shuttle by a ton.

Big guys have super tight hips(to carry 300). It's what makes them run slow shuttles. I bet you could have dropped your shuttle by .8??? Some HS programs know how to unlock them. Coach E definitely does. To that point. I don't think we have a single linemen running over a 5.0 shuttle. Good chance you could have with hip work, prior to the ACLs. But yeah, the ACL. Sorry, Jack.

Damn. Either way, you were in a tiny group(perhaps the smallest group of all players) of big guys that could move. Congrats. Your straight ahead indicates that you could have dropped your shuttle by a ton.

Big guys have super tight hips(to carry 300). It's what makes them run slow shuttles. I bet you could have dropped your shuttle by .8??? Some HS programs know how to unlock them. Coach E definitely does. To that point. I don't think we have a single linemen running over a 5.0 shuttle. Good chance you could have with hip work, prior to the ACLs. But yeah, the ACL. Sorry, Jack.

you speak a lot of truth. I always enjoy reading thoughts on weight training. It’s obvious you have a background. No need to feel sorry for me though. I’m living the dream, coaching a sport I love.

you speak a lot of truth. I always enjoy reading thoughts on weight training. It’s obvious you have a background. No need to feel sorry for me though. I’m living the dream, coaching a sport I love.
Right on. Old school guys picked things up, and put them down. Some of the new training unlocks the fast twitch muscles
It can be done with weights, bands or rolling to remove natural tightness. E does all of these.

None of these will send your kid D1. But it will definitely make them quicker.

Servais absolutely runs a 4.9.

While most think they can run a sub 5.0 second forty, they are usually very wrong. Your time seems about right.

I think that was one of the requirements to qualify for the old american gladiators.

Last edited:

I wonder too if the tight hips contributed to the ACL tears. Lack of hip mobility can put lots of stress on the knees.

I think was one of the requirements to qualify for the old american gladiators.

That, and doing 20 pull-ups, which is harder than you’d think.

(drive-by gloating - my PB was 22, but that was also almost that many years ago.
I can maybe do 8 now)

As fit as those American Gladiator contestants were, the American Ninjas are at an absurdly higher level.
The stuff those guys and gals can do is superhuman.

If nothing else, we found Xzavier Gaines one actual skill. Busting balls.

(drive-by gloating - my PB was 22, but that was also almost that many years ago.
I can maybe do 8 now)

As fit as those American Gladiator contestants were, the American Ninjas are at an absurdly higher level.

Speaking of, I’m at the American Ninja world championships right now in Greensboro NC. my 10 year old qualified (3rd year in a row) and is competing. Watching the adult open division last night was incredible. Lot of gymnast type core strength. I think only 1 guy finished the course though; it was really hard.

Speaking of, I’m at the American Ninja world championships right now in Greensboro NC. my 10 year old qualified (3rd year in a row) and is competing. Watching the adult open division last night was incredible. Lot of gymnast type core strength. I think only 1 guy finished the course though; it was really hard.

Very cool. :cool:

Guess your kid doesn’t hafta eat their veggies if they don’t want to. :p

JB was wrong?
See - maybe Greensboro does have some value.;)

Will any of the competition be televised later?

I'm 40 and pretty sure I can run the 40 in under 8 seconds. But I don't do it often
I'm over 50 and I think I can do the same;), but it might have a lot to do with whether or not I'm running towards something or away from something. I'd put money on me if I'm afraid and running in a straight line. If I have to be evasive, I'm obviously not going to be as fast and I'm probably going to need an Orthopedist, Chiropractor, and/or a Physical Therapist...maybe all three.

5.2 40 at that weight is really scooting =D

5.2 40 at that weight is really scooting =D

Nice to see you on here. OT, but I see that Joe B. was playing in Alabama a couple weeks ago. I saw him again last fall here in NJ. Great show as always.

I can maybe do 8 now)

The ninjas are impressive but I feel like it's somewhat specific. The key is to be light weight and upperbody dominant. The spartan games athletes are a bit more balanced.

If nothing else, we found Xzavier Gaines one actual skill. Busting balls.

Wow nice job spelling Xzavier correctly. I bet less than 10% of the board pulls that off.

My brother-in-law is a power lifter so for Christmas I got him one tank top with a picture of a jacked TR that says "Teddy Swolesevelt" and another with a jacked Jesus that says "Hollowed be thy gains."

Not sure why I felt the need to share that.