WMU Postgame Discussion. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

WMU Postgame Discussion.

Sorry if asked but the confusion in the 1st quarter on what down it was...how does that happen?
Because the result of the play was a first down and after the challenge, it took so long that one of the million officials didn’t remember. I mean it never should happen.

But it also shouldn’t take a challenge to fix. Neither of those should have been challenges - the refs were atrocious.

VT, Purdue, Pitt, Clemson all seem pretty bad. Not a horrible slate this year outside of FSU

Seems that sometimes otherwise so so teams have been able to just methodically mash us in the trenches. Clemson and Pitt have done that to us, ND last year (remember how everyone was convinced they were terrible around this time of the year because they had a bad loss or two?)

We have a lot of good players and units, but how the OL and DL will do against the big boy schools will tell the story of our season, like always.

IMG_7498.jpeg

Because the result of the play was a first down and after the challenge, it took so long that one of the million officials didn’t remember. I mean it never should happen.

But it also shouldn’t take a challenge to fix. Neither of those should have been challenges - the refs were atrocious.
I was wondering, how long do you have to challenge the wrong down? Do you lose the ability once a new first down is made? The offense could have argued that they would have called a different play if they had known it was second down instead of first. Interesting situation.

Yeah that's me... I am the everything is awesome guy! you nailed it. Get a clue
You’re the one upset by simple, truthful analysis. Look at the other threads, questions about our Oline abound. I
didn’t say anything about your overly optimistic takes, did I? No, but you’re critical of simple observations about the weak spots on our team? Is SU a perfect football team? No. So, it’s ok to recognize faults and discuss them. How might we improve? How are we going to beat the tougher teams on our schedule? If you can’t ask those questions, what’s the point? You’re left with rah, rah, homerism. Since you’re upset by critiques of the team, you (and others) seem to fall into the latter category. If not, and you genuinely want to analyze the team, then you should be open to the suggestion that our oline might not quite be all that good…at least right now…doesn’t mean they can’t be…but I know what my eyes are seeing regardless of the opponent. Im hopeful, doesn’t mean I’m not concerned.

My concerns:​

No reliable backup at QB
OL must improve its pass protection

Good signs:​

WR development
RB backups
Punting, outstanding
Kickoffs, through the end zone
Hot take… the oline is generally okay at pass blocking. The right side got caved in a couple of timed but that he a lot to do with their blitz scheme. I think the bigger issue is Shrader was continually looking for deep shots and ignored the check down. He held the ball for a LONG time.

Hot take… the oline is generally okay at pass blocking. The right side got caved in a couple of timed but that he a lot to do with their blitz scheme. I think the bigger issue is Shrader was continually looking for deep shots and ignored the check down. He held the ball for a LONG time.
I think the long ball right now is by design. I feel a majority of the game planning has been for Purdue. I think one of the reason we have not seen LQA being thrown screen passes or going into coverage. Also almost no use of the TE. Really think things open up this week.

I think the long ball right now is by design. I feel a majority of the game planning has been for Purdue. I think one of the reason we have not seen LQA being thrown screen passes or going into coverage. Also almost no use of the TE. Really think things open up this week.
Historical cuse teams would take a team line WMU and try to grind them into the ground by running most of the team and keeping it “vanilla”. Everyone used to complain… why not use these games to get the passing game tuned. FFWD to 2023 and we use these games to get the passing game… cue the our oline cant pass block and why aren’t we working on the run games complaints. I’m not a football expert much less an oline expert… but I know enough to realize that I have no clue what the oline was being asked to do on a given play or what reads Shrader decided not to take. Maybe our oline sucks maybe it don’t… I have no idea how anyone can judge based on that game.

What my eyes showed me.. one team was bigger, faster, more athletic at every position and that wasn’t the case even a year ago.

One underrated moment I loved… coach long getting bored and bring the house on a blitz whenever he felt WMU was starting to string a drive together. We have not had a dc who is willing to dictate the game like this. Can he go a little further west on the highway on Sundays? I know there is a team there missing a DC.

Historical cuse teams would take a team line WMU and try to grind them into the ground by running most of the team and keeping it “vanilla”. Everyone used to complain… why not use these games to get the passing game tuned. FFWD to 2023 and we use these games to get the passing game… cue the our oline cant pass block and why aren’t we working on the run games complaints. I’m not a football expert much less an oline expert… but I know enough to realize that I have no clue what the oline was being asked to do on a given play or what reads Shrader decided not to take. Maybe our oline sucks maybe it don’t… I have no idea how anyone can judge based on that game.

What my eyes showed me.. one team was bigger, faster, more athletic at every position and that wasn’t the case even a year ago.

One underrated moment I loved… coach long getting bored and bring the house on a blitz whenever he felt WMU was starting to string a drive together. We have not had a dc who is willing to dictate the game like this. Can he go a little further west on the highway on Sundays? I know there is a team there missing a DC.
Right? 500 yards of offense while playing the second and 3rd string for half the game.

And we punched it in the end zone on the ground 3 times from inside the 5.

Not seeing the OL complaints at all.

Shrader wasn’t “running for his life” either, he was doing what he always does regardless of anything else.

Shrader runs 20 yards for a TD through a middle of the field so wide open that any of us could’ve tucked and ran for a first down, and people are commenting that he’s “running for his life”, lol.

I was wondering, how long do you have to challenge the wrong down? Do you lose the ability once a new first down is made? The offense could have argued that they would have called a different play if they had known it was second down instead of first. Interesting situation.

Yeah I said the same thing at the time. I know they had a ton of yards to pick up a first but it wasn’t fair to WMU either to think they had more downs than they did.

You’re the one upset by simple, truthful analysis. Look at the other threads, questions about our Oline abound. I
didn’t say anything about your overly optimistic takes, did I? No, but you’re critical of simple observations about the weak spots on our team? Is SU a perfect football team? No. So, it’s ok to recognize faults and discuss them. How might we improve? How are we going to beat the tougher teams on our schedule? If you can’t ask those questions, what’s the point? You’re left with rah, rah, homerism. Since you’re upset by critiques of the team, you (and others) seem to fall into the latter category. If not, and you genuinely want to analyze the team, then you should be open to the suggestion that our oline might not quite be all that good…at least right now…doesn’t mean they can’t be…but I know what my eyes are seeing regardless of the opponent. Im hopeful, doesn’t mean I’m not concerned.

overly optimistic? Yeah man that’s me. Good lord. I’m done. I’m just going to ignore your posts I would be more than pleased if you did the same with mine. Thanks

it Doesn’t take a genius to know that we have issues at O line. Guess what we have for 30 years other than 2012/ 2018.

Some general thoughts.

#6 seems to be keeping his eyes downfield when he scrambles this year. Last year, he committed to running it early in plays.

Beck does not seem to be overly consumed by the increasingly archaic “establish the run” axiom.

I still think LA is going to be used increasingly as a receiver out of the backfield.

Speaking of which, we haven’t shown any screens, few throws to TEs. The bag of tricks is still pretty full. I suspect we’ll see some stuff this week.

There was nooo panic after the long TD run by WMU. Historically, a start like that ended with us struggling all game long.

Price showed a lot imho. Was concerned after Colgate. Not any more. I like him as a short yardage back.

Speaking of short yardage, love the “Buffalo” back position by Perry. Makes me wonder how the staff is going to use him this year. Surely they wont burn his shirt just for that. So is this a 4 -game package or is he going to get into the D rotation?!?!

Fired up to be on NBC on Saturday night! Road games at night are always tough atmospheres, but at least we have a senior quarterback, that’s usually a huge mitigating factor. Garrett won’t come out there like a deer in headlights for sure.

Some general thoughts.

#6 seems to be keeping his eyes downfield when he scrambles this year. Last year, he committed to running it early in plays.

Beck does not seem to be overly consumed by the increasingly archaic “establish the run” axiom.

I still think LA is going to be used increasingly as a receiver out of the backfield.

Speaking of which, we haven’t shown any screens, few throws to TEs. The bag of tricks is still pretty full. I suspect we’ll see some stuff this week.

There was nooo panic after the long TD run by WMU. Historically, a start like that ended with us struggling all game long.

Price showed a lot imho. Was concerned after Colgate. Not any more. I like him as a short yardage back.

Speaking of short yardage, love the “Buffalo” back position by Perry. Makes me wonder how the staff is going to use him this year. Surely they wont burn his shirt just for that. So is this a 4 -game package or is he going to get into the D rotation?!?!

Fired up to be on NBC on Saturday night! Road games at night are always tough atmospheres, but at least we have a senior quarterback, that’s usually a huge mitigating factor. Garrett won’t come out there like a deer in headlights for sure.
And Major Harris, Tory Holt, Amos Zeroue, or Mike Vick aren’t walking into the stadium Saturday night

overly optimistic? Yeah man that’s me. Good lord. I’m done. I’m just going to ignore your posts I would be more than pleased if you did the same with mine. Thanks

it Doesn’t take a genius to know that we have issues at O line. Guess what we have for 30 years other than 2012/ 2018.
It takes anyone with eyes to see we have issues on oline - and dline - but we do have some quality players on that side

And Major Harris, Tory Holt, Amos Zeroue, or Mike Vick aren’t walking into the stadium Saturday night
Neither is Drew Brees, Charlie Jones or Brohm … Hudson Card in his limited action at UT and Purdue was less than inspiring.

Neither is Drew Brees, Charlie Jones or Brohm … Hudson Card in his limited action at UT and Purdue was less than inspiring.
Referencing a small subset of away night game disappointments/disasters

Not sure Purdue has any next level guys to tilt the field.

Way too early to make that judgement , Padawan. "Seems" can turn around in a week- as we have seen with our fast starts and weak finishes. JMHO
Maybe for Clemson, but I have suspicion there isn’t much to fear from a team whose QB completes 30% of his passes.

It takes anyone with eyes to see we have issues on oline - and dline - but we do have some quality players on that side
Wow now we have issues on the dline based on 2 games where our D has outscored the other teams offenses? Again not a football expert, but from my eyes we have completely collapsed the pocket without even needing to bring much extra pressure and when they brought pressure it was lights out. Maybe I’m watching a different orange and blue team? Illinois?

Maybe for Clemson, but I have suspicion there isn’t much to fear from a team whose QB completes 30% of his passes.
There's so much to unpack here. I still have jitters about our OL and running game vs a big boy defense. Our defense is very good, but can we win trading FG's with Clemson, let alone anyone else in the ACC? The 3-3-5 will be pounded by strong running teams, and maybe we wear out for a coupla drives, and lose in a tight game. That's my biggest worry.
GS cannot run for his life on every play- if he gets hurt our #2 QB does not give me comfort. Dino's history has been fast starts then attrition by injury. We have better depth, but to suggest that just because a team only completes 30% of their passes we should roll over 'em, is frankly unrealistic, IMO.
Of course I'd be happy to eat crow and proven wrong. We shall see..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom