World Cup Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

i wonder how germany fares if the first PK had been called as it should have,.. still even a man down they dominated that last segment of play to get the win

We housed Panama in Orlando before the T&T disaster.
They are embarrassing CONCACAF.
It’s amazing how physical stupid CONCACAF refs let teams play so physical and against skill they lose.
I mean Honduras lost the playoff to Australia.

If the USA could develop real talent I wouldn’t mind if CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merged.
Right now I don’t want them merged because we would struggle to quality for the cup more often.

It’s amazing how physical stupid CONCACAF refs let teams play so physical and against skill they lose.

If the USA could develop real talent I wouldn’t mind if CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merged.
Right now I don’t want them merged because we would struggle to quality for the cup more often.

If they expand to 48 maybe not so much of an issue. Officiating in Concacaf does have way too much to do with it. Proof alone can be found in the consistently better results in friendlies we have had vs teams that play with skill vs reckless abandon. .

Plus a larger Copa America style tournament to rival the euros etc can only keep us playing better sides regularly and give all of north and south America more exposure.

My least favorite player in this World Cup, by far, is Herrera (MEX). Dirtiest player in Russia (aside from Putin). ;)

The team is so systematically confused and tactically inept that you honestly could have three messi's on the field and they still would not know what to do with them.

Furthermore, there are a lot of players on the squad that are well before there best before date.

My son just corrected me. Messi made the retirement statement after the Copa America when they lost on PK's in the final. He said he was basically done playing for the national team. Wonder what pressure Maradona put on him to reconsider. Who'd want to be anywhere near Maradona? Messi should just stay in Spain the rest of his career and move his family there. Argentina plays like a team divided. The one young player they have said he doesn't like playing when Messi does because it forces him to play out of position. That can't be good for a team attitude.

I’d gladly see them merge but only if the deal is the USA gets to play Suriname and Guyana in qualifying every cycle. Kind of like how Syracuse plays BC and Pitt twice a year every season in bball.

A good day. Russia loses and Iran gets knocked out.

Iran was a good team... they were pretty good tactically and if they were in another group they could have went through.

Maradona is crazy in the stands of this game.
My god he is trolling his country’s team badly.

Can’t stand Brazil. Bunch of punk ass players. Especially Neymar.
Saw Neymar play when he was with Santos (Brazil) They played the Red Bulls in the opening of the new arena in Harrison. Never saw somebody dive and embellish as much as he did that day. He was only 18 or so at the time. Not a fan.

Saturday and Sunday matchups look good.

Wish there was Happy Hour games, but I’ve watched a couple of rewinds.

Death, Taxes and die Mannschaft competing until the final whistle.

For those of you newer to the game, YouTube the 1982 semi between France and Germany.
Or the 1970 Semi between Italia and Germania. Italy scored early and sat on the lead. Beckenbauer played with a sling after dislocating his shoulder, but remained on the field because Germany had used all it's substitutions. Germany tied it deep in injury time and then the fun began.

I have never seen a team flop like South Korea.
Good god they embellish everything.

Last edited:
I wonder if Landon Donovan is conflicted over Germany or Mexico going through. He says he is rooting for Mexico b/c he played there for a while. But he also played in Germany as a teenager. But no German banks or breweries are paying him money to root for them, unlike Wells Fargo and Modelo.

hmmmmm

Glorious result so far Sweden vs Mexico.

El Tri getting taken down a notch and Ze
Germans on the brink of Auf wiedersehn.

And the cherries on top are the pretty Swedish ladies the FIFA feed so frequently cuts to.

FIFA has mastered the art of scanning the stands for attractive female spectators in every game. Muchos gracias.

Geiger can now vacation in Mexico.
Why do Americans help Mexico in soccer when they couldn’t be bothered to help us last November.

Geiger can now vacation in Mexico.
Why do Americans help Mexico in soccer when they couldn’t be bothered to help us last November.

Haha not sure anybody should try vacationing in Mexico. Cancun has turned into the killing fields.

1530115435526.gif
Manuel Neuer's touch map. Spot the odd one out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom