World Cup Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

Samething happened in 2010 with Chile and Spain. Chile didn't try to get the ball and let Spain keep it as they wanted to advance.

It is bush league but that stuff happens. Poland just wanted to win and were ahead. I don't blame them that much.

The US Germany match where we conceded the one goal and Germany didn't put their foot down last world cup arguably went down in a similar fashion.

The US Germany match where we conceded the one goal and Germany didn't put their foot down last world cup arguably went down in a similar fashion.
And we still had a last minute header from Dempsey which could have leveled that Germany match but we definitely kept 10 behind the ball oncd Germany scored.

Great game and France is a contender - can’t believe USMNT managed that friendly draw. Mbappe is already something, next superstar in the making. The speed on that run causing the PK was amazing, and both goals were great. But what on earth was Armani doing on one of them? No chance to get your hand down on a ball like that. Gotta kick that shiite out hockey style. And leaning back even before the shot was weak. Go design some suits, Sergio. And Caballero should be flying back to his horse ranch.

And for our Ukranian expats/descendants, which I know there are a few, a reminder to the Russians before playing Spain tomorrow:

A Ukranian after vacationing in Spain describes corrida:

— Ну, арена така гарна, на трыбунах — испански чоловикы, вси таки гарни, спокийни, испанские жинки — гарни, спокийни, выпустили быка на арену — вэлыкый такый бык, спокийный, тореадор вышел — гарный, спокийный… И тут тореадор достал комуняцький флаг! И вси як з ума посходили!!!

Translation:

So the arena is bery beautiful. In the stands - Spanish men, all so beautiful, calm, and the women - beautiful, calm. They let the bull out on the arena. So big and calm. The bullfighter comes out - beautiful and calm. Then all of a sudden he takes out a commie flag and everyone loses their mind!

Last edited:
Maybe one of my favorite moments of the tournament so far -- Uruguay is playing a very good game, their defense is organized, they are doing a good job making sure Ronaldo isn't able to run at the goal, they are playing "hardnosed" defense (don't ban me for using *that* word) and getting physical with Portugal, etc.

Then Suarez tries to nutmeg a guy 1 v 1 in his defensive third. Sometimes that man just cracks me up.

My revised semifinals.
Belgium-France, Croatia-England
Final France-Croatia.
Champ: France

I can't stand Suarez. Three different times he was rolling around writhing, clutching his head. He didn't get hit in the head on any of them. I can't root for Uruguay because of him.

Also, can we take a minute to discuss how bad the referee in that game was? He was consistent though, I'll give him that.

Not WC related but I’m at the Atlanta United game with some friends... is Miguel Almiron this good?

Also, attendance tonight - 71,982

Miggy will be a top-15 transfer in the world whichever window ATL decides to sell him in (probably $15-25M). I caught him two or three weeks ago, he is excellent.

Expect an Arsenal/Athletico type transfer for him.

It's something the MLS has been doing very well. Signings like Zlatan and Rooney make the headlines, but guys like Barco/Medina/Kaku/Miggy/Herrera have been awesome. Our domestic league is signing some of the top 18-23 year-olds from countries like Parguay, Peru, Venezuela, etc. They play fast and exciting football and it has truly transformed the play in our league the last 2 years.

I harp on it all the time, but no pro sports league in America does as well with fan experiences than MLS. I get that the quality isn't the Bundesliga, but a focus on youth development, parity in the league, and bringing in young South American talent is truly transforming the sport in our nation.

I harp on it all the time, but no pro sports league in America does as well with fan experiences than MLS. I get that the quality isn't the Bundesliga, but a focus on youth development, parity in the league, and bringing in young South American talent is truly transforming the sport in our nation.

A point that was mentioned several times in the aftermath of our failure to qualify was how good MLS has been at developing talent of our CONCACAF bretheren.

Not WC related but I’m at the Atlanta United game with some friends... is Miguel Almiron this good?

Also, attendance tonight - 71,982

Yes! The Atlanta United front office has been nothing but excellent right out of the gate as a new franchise. Their international signings (Almiron, Martinez, Villalba, Barco, etc.) have been top notch. Gressel and Miles Robinson (Cuse) were great first draft picks. Nagbe trade was a no brainer. I could on and on about ATL UTD...

OK I totally don't get unintentional hand balls in the area. One game it's play on and today it's a PK.

OK I totally don't get unintentional hand balls in the area. One game it's play on and today it's a PK.

If your arm is outstretched and “making the player larger,” it’s a definite penalty. If it is close to the body and is more “ball to hand,” it will he waved off.

Russia is getting more calls than South Korea in 2002.

South Korea 2002 biggest cheaters of alltime.

Spain waited too long to ditch Costa. He was a waste of space today.

Please don’t let the Commies win this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom