World Cup Thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

Huge and well deserved win for Mexico. Their on the ball skills have caught up to world class level. Speed and spacing on the counters was beautiful to watch. Should’ve scored a couple more. And as great as Neuer is, Ochoa outplayed him. Ole!

It's fun time in my hood today, large population of Mexicans, including my next door neighbors straight from Mexico, lighting off fireworks (mostly) like crazy right after it ended, makes for a fun environment.

When Costa engaged he is a top 5 player. Chelsea fans on here must hate how he departed.

He was a pain in the ass at practice, and he made his teammates kind of nervous. They never knew when he was going to blow a fuse. Plus, he was just too focused on fighting the defender and not focused enough on playing the game. You saw him play hard but clean against Portugal. If he had played like that for Chelsea, they never would have let him go.

I thought Germany looked like the better team. Just looked at the stats and those say the same.

I thought Germany looked like the better team. Just looked at the stats and those say the same.
Mexico parked the bus the last 35 minutes that skewed possession.
Germany never looked like they were going to score and if Chicarito Hernandez wasn’t a diver he could have shot a counter instead of diving.
Mexico was in control and while didn’t have possession earned their win.
Germany didn’t deserve a result.

I get razzed for saying this by the purists on our board but ...

It should be apparent to everyone that FIFA needs to change the rules. If they truly want to stop teams from “parking the bus”, they’re going to have to draw restraining lines like lacrosse has to open up the field by limiting the number of players on offense and defense. Ending offsides outside the penalty area would also help.

There's absolutely no need to change the rules. Games this year across Europe average roughly 3 goals a game. The average score is 2-1. There's plenty of action, what is or is not a penalty is generally well understood and reasonable.

Mexico cut through the center of their midfield on the counter over and over. Usually, teams on the counter have to play down the flanks because that's where the space is. When you can fast break with only 2 or 3 passes through the middle of Germany's midfield, you're getting the better of them.

Last edited:
There's absolutely no need to change the rules. Games this year across Europe average roughly 3 goals a game. The average score is 2-1. There's plenty of action, what is or is not a penalty is generally well understood and reasonable.
Love the sport... Just don't usually comment on it here and take it to soccer only boards. But in my opinion penalties are given out way too easily. Espescially when we all know it's usually a sure goal. I know it's a simple take but yeah

I have to say a lot of average looking top gun teams so far. If there's a World Cup for a darkhorse to make a run it's this one. Watch out for a team like Mexico who are sneaky good to go far. I also really like Poland to gain some attention but we will see.

I hope this is the year for Argentina. Will need to turn it around after the poor start. Let's be real, Iceland is fun and all. But Iceland should not make Argentina's back line look that disorganized. Also need to spread the field and not just go through Messi... Never been a Di Maria fan either. Wouldn't start him next game.

Poland is one my non-U.S.A. teams I pull for. I also really like Japan. Japan is an honest team. No diving, no dirty tricks and they play hard. I randomly picked Shimizu S-Pulse as my J.1 League team b/c the team color is orange ;)

Too bad they are in the same group

I’m Polish and German so I root for them when the USA isn’t playing. So far, uh..not so good.

Watching these matches just highlight the US weaknesses.
Our players aren’t disciplined with the ball and look to long ball way too much.
The technical skill is where US soccer needs to develop more.
Our players have size and speed but man skill isn’t the same.

Instead of trying to develop MLS I wish we just cared about developing talent first.
I liked all the prospects who are fighting to go to Europe.
Another anti mls post from you, what a shock. Just say you hate mls and be done with it. Go Red Bulls

Another anti mls post from you, what a shock. Just say you hate mls and be done with it. Go Red Bulls
To each their own. I hope MLS gets better until they do a Pro/Reg system crappy ownership like Kraft with NE revolution have no incentive to try and compete, put grass on the field etc.
Just like NBA basketball is the best in the world and the European leagues are 2nd tier that is how it works in soccer.
The best leagues are in Europe and MLS is a 2nd tier league.
I want the MLS to be a league full of youngsters and be a developmental league. If they made the changes Pro/Reg and made ownerships make commitments and not make the league only ownerships that care to win first.

Everyone knows Mls is not on par with the top leagues. It is a great option for us players that are not in demand from top European Leagues. It is in no way hurting our National Team. That's nonsense.

Everyone knows Mls is not on par with the top leagues. It is a great option for us players that are not in demand from top European Leagues. It is in no way hurting our National Team. That's nonsense.
It hurt our national team after 2010 WC. Instead of staying in Europe and continuing challenge themselves Dempsey and Bradley came back to MLS.
MLS needs to change.
Our best players shouldn't be in the league. Thank goodness more and more are going to Europe.

that was quite the call in the Poland match and they almost did it twice.. never seen that before

It hurt our national team after 2010 WC. Instead of staying in Europe and continuing challenge themselves Dempsey and Bradley came back to MLS.
MLS needs to change.
Our best players shouldn't be in the league. Thank goodness more and more are going to Europe.
What hurt us was the hiring of Klinnsman as the program went backwards for 6 years. Bradley and Dempsey returning at the back end of their careers was no factor . Not only did the National team struggle but it went right down the line with U20s. U17s ECT...,
Sunil needed to go as well.

I have to say a lot of average looking top gun teams so far. If there's a World Cup for a darkhorse to make a run it's this one. Watch out for a team like Mexico who are sneaky good to go far. I also really like Poland to gain some attention but we will see.

I hope this is the year for Argentina. Will need to turn it around after the poor start. Let's be real, Iceland is fun and all. But Iceland should not make Argentina's back line look that disorganized. Also need to spread the field and not just go through Messi... Never been a Di Maria fan either. Wouldn't start him next game.

I agree - this World Cup seems wide open. All the top teams have flaws, and there are a number of teams one step below, like England, Belgium, Uruguay, Mexico (!) who could make deep runs in this tournament. I've never seen it like this! Very exciting so far.

To each their own. I hope MLS gets better until they do a Pro/Reg system crappy ownership like Kraft with NE revolution have no incentive to try and compete, put grass on the field etc.
Just like NBA basketball is the best in the world and the European leagues are 2nd tier that is how it works in soccer.
The best leagues are in Europe and MLS is a 2nd tier league.
I want the MLS to be a league full of youngsters and be a developmental league. If they made the changes Pro/Reg and made ownerships make commitments and not make the league only ownerships that care to win first.

The way it is set up now, the owners are turning MLS into a breeding ground for Central and South American talent. We should put a limit on roster spots for non-US citizens, and yes, we should demand grass fields or the team gets kicked the hell out. Go big or go home.

MLS is a lot like the English Championship, mixed with something like the Dutch or Belgian domestic leagues. That's about the level of talent. The Central and South Americans are improving the on-ball skillls of the league, overall, and eventually that will be good for the league and for the Americans coming through.

The real problem, in my opinion, is college soccer. Their scheduling is all screwed up and they play up to 3 games a week, as college kids. That's way too much. Each MLS team needs an academdy system, it should not be too expensive, and we should continue recruiting dual-citizenship players who grow up as military kids living in countries where soccer is the primary sport. We should also be recruiting the hell out of Mexican and Central American kids who live in the American Southwest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom