Worst Cuse team in JB era | Syracusefan.com

Worst Cuse team in JB era

Cuseology

Walk On
And I am not just saying that based on this game. If NCAA wasnt this weak, we wouldnt even be on the bubble.

And I am not just saying that based on this game. If NCAA wasnt this weak, we wouldnt even be on the bubble.
Easily. They'll have a better record than many others, but that's because college hoop in general is horrible this year.

At this point, this team is just bad. It takes a minor miracle for them to score a basket against good teams.

Name me a team that was worse. Zero offense in the 1/2 court. Zero. Our shooters cant shoot. No ability to drive. No post players. Defense looks better statistically but I think it has more to do with the poor play from others. This is not a good team.

81-82 team runs these guys out of the gym. Santifer, Bruin, Rautins. I would take them every time. I know they were 16-13 but with much better competition.

The Schumpert/ Williams NIT team was very frustrating too.

Easily the worst basketball team ever assembled, my cyo team would hammer this group. :rolleyes:
Hell this team couldn't even compete in an over 40 4 on 4 league, and that's with us playing 5 on 4.

Cute responses but before the knee jerk defensive responses come out, read. Name a worse team in the JB era? This is not a personal shot at the players. I think they all seem like good kids. This isnt even a shot at JB. I just dont think this team is very good. I watched the 6 OT game just before the UConn game. That team, which lost in the S16 game I think, could play. Watching them made me think how much worse this team is. I cant think of a JB team that was this weak.

Cute responses but before the knee jerk defensive responses come out, read. Name a worse team in the JB era? This is not a personal shot at the players. I think they all seem like good kids. This isnt even a shot at JB. I just dont think this team is very good. I watched the 6 OT game just before the UConn game. That team, which lost in the S16 game I think, could play. Watching them made me think how much worse this team is. I cant think of a JB team that was this weak.

1996-1997, and I don't think it's close.

Though it'd be best to get a look at the current squad's complete body of work before making this call.

Reactions: MGP

From a talent perspective, this team is one of the better JB squads in his history, & that is a big part of the chances for success in the Tourney.

I would take a team of talented players that need an attitude adjustment before tourney time, than a bunch of scrappy wannabe's who have a low ceiling.

This squad is capable of a championship if they fix what's in their heads. MANY of JB's past teams did not have that ability.

Though it'd be best to get a look at the current squad's complete body of work before making this call.

Yeah, no question. Now THAT team was painful to watch.

I also think that the 2002 team merits consideration. Brutal last third to that season, en route to them sliding out of solid NCAA contention into the NIT.

And there are probably a few others. This year's team--while frustrating as hell--isn't anywhere near the worst team in JB's coaching tenure.

I also think that the 2002 team merits consideration. Brutal last third to that season, en route to them sliding out of solid NCAA contention into the NIT.

And there are probably a few others. This year's team--while frustrating as hell--isn't anywhere near the worst team in JB's coaching tenure.

The 2002 season while a disaster led to Duany becoming a leader the next season and Warrick taking a bigger role in the NIT which helped the big leap the next year as well.

If this season leads to a 2013-14 season of a seasoned Grant and CJ as the unquestioned leader/best player, I'll take it.

I agree with the Shumpert-Williams Team assessment as being the absolute worst. I hope the reason this team went in the tank wasn't because of similiar problems...:eek:

The 2002 team truly couldn't do anything right between the Tennessee loss and the NIT.

Additionally, the 2008 team played mostly dumb basketball and didn't defend at all. The 2006 team looked as bad as today's team looked at several different points (but they also looked as good as we looked against Louisville and Notre Dame at several other times). And I'd probably take this year's team over the 1993 team, too.

But there's a common theme here. Young point guard + limited veteran leadership = below average Syracuse team.

The 2002 season while a disaster led to Duany becoming a leader the next season and Warrick taking a bigger role in the NIT which helped the big leap the next year as well.

If this season leads to a 2013-14 season of a seasoned Grant and CJ as the unquestioned leader/best player, I'll take it.

I think there's no doubt that some Syracuse players (Duany, Sims, Rautins, Scoop, among others) have sort of resented playing on underachieving teams and resolved to make changes as they've assumed leadership roles.

Hope next year's guys can improve.

But there's a common theme here. Young point guard + limited veteran leadership = below average Syracuse team.

Well...I mean...Billy/GMac + Duany = National Championship.

But using that equation you have to add in the X variable where X = Best College Freshman of all time.

Agreed. I did not like that team. We had some pretty so-so teams earlier this decade as well.

Well...I mean...Billy/GMac + Duany = National Championship.

But using that equation you have to add in the X variable where X = Best College Freshman of all time.

Carmelo is definitely a special addition to the equation.

Also, like you noted, Duany and Warrick played a huge role as far as veteran leadership. Especially Duany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom