Worst Cuse team in JB era | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Cuse team in JB era

The 2002 season while a disaster led to Duany becoming a leader the next season and Warrick taking a bigger role in the NIT which helped the big leap the next year as well.

If this season leads to a 2013-14 season of a seasoned Grant and CJ as the unquestioned leader/best player, I'll take it.

Those things are true [although I think you overstate the importance Duany's leadership role on that '03 team a tad--and I'm a big Duany fan], but it doesn't change the fact that the 02 season was an unmitigated disaster.

This team is better than that team. They are really struggling, but I've never seen a college season that is so wide open. If we get past the first weekend [which I'm inclined to believe they can], who knows?

Hope your predictions come true for next year.

Why are we blaming the players? Maybe this was just an off year for JB? :eek: Yes 23-8 is not a bad year, so for all sensitive types I am not bashing him.

Why are we blaming the players? Maybe this was just an off year for JB? :eek: Yes 23-8 is not a bad year, so for all sensitive types I am not bashing him.
Even JB could shoot better than the players on the floor. This is just a Poor shooting team, not JBs fault.

That's the misleading point. This team is not a bad shooting team. They shot decently at certain points in the season, but have slumped terribly in the past month. It is possible they could get it back.

If they were okay shooting before, it has to be something in their psyche that is screwing them up. They need to find a way to get their mojo back.

That's the misleading point. This team is not a bad shooting team. They shot decently at certain points in the season, but have slumped terribly in the past month. It is possible they could get it back.

If they were okay shooting before, it has to be something in their psyche that is screwing them up. They need to find a way to get their mojo back.

You've lost any credibility you still had. This isn't a bad shooting team?

What? Look at the numbers mantonio.

I would be interested in seeing the early to midseason numbers juxtaposed against the later season numbers. Can you produce that?

Name me a team that was worse. Zero offense in the 1/2 court. Zero. Our shooters cant shoot. No ability to drive. No post players. Defense looks better statistically but I think it has more to do with the poor play from others. This is not a good team.

The only true thing here is the better defense.

Everything else you just said is hogwash!

We have the ability to drive, but have struggled against certain teams who employ thug tactics.

We can shoot, as evidenced by earlier season abilities, but have been in a slump recently.

The half court offense, while not ideal, can score enough to win games against tourney teams who don't know how to defend us in any scheme(which is most teams in the tourney). The defense will give this team a good chance in any game.

This is a good team, talent wise, that has not played well against physical teams who are coddled by officiating & rewarded for prison rules play.

The only true thing here is the better defense.

Everything else you just said is hogwash!

We have the ability to drive, but have struggled against certain teams who employ thug tactics.

We can shoot, as evidenced by earlier season abilities, but have been in a slump recently.

The half court offense, while not ideal, can score enough to win games against tourney teams who don't know how to defend us in any scheme(which is most teams in the tourney). The defense will give this team a good chance in any game.

This is a good team, talent wise, that has not played well against physical teams who are coddled by officiating & rewarded for prison rules play.

Mantonio we are currently .442% from the field good for 124 in the country. Our three guards are shooting sub 30 percent from three. Our only saving grace is that no one else is really good this year. We just put up 39 points. Theres optimism and then theres you.

And I am not just saying that based on this game. If NCAA wasnt this weak, we wouldnt even be on the bubble.

TRob and Mookie disagree.

44cuse

My apologies, Strumpf. I hope you are having a pleasant weekend.

You are missing the point. Teams like Georgetown are getting away with fouls at least 3 times out of 5. If the officials called it fairly, Syracuse would not lose the ball to a foul, which is an illegitimate turnover, & they would be at the line 20 more times than they are.

What you call D'ing it up, is actually VIOLATIONS of the rules. They move on their picks, they hand & hip check, over the back & shot hack, VIOLENTLY, & the refs only call it 30% of the time.

When you keep getting hammered on your shots & everywhere you move on the court with no fairness from the refs, you tend to get flustered & miss even the most open shots. I played the game & have dealt with this a few times.

Syracuse doesn't play that way, & JB doesn't recruit like that. If you want to be a legitimate baasketball team, PLAY by the rules, don't try to bend the rules for your own cheating advantage. If the NCAA wants to make the game more like football, fine. Then Syracuse can start recruiting linebackers for their front line & running backs at the guard spots. Otherwise, let's keep getting the more athletically skilled players & play the game the way it was intended.

It pisses me off when the commentators praise these players for playing great D, when they are actually fouling their opponent on every possession. I saw the G'town rebounder grab the ball & then give a hard elbow swing into Brandon today, with no consequence. That is completely insane & these officials should be ashamed.

These thug teams in the Big East like G'town, Pitt, & Marquette, will be flushed from the Big Dance long before the Final Four. I love watching the players whine in disbelief as they get the proper calls for beating up the opponent. It is so sweet to see PITT & 'Quette get eliminated in round 1 or 2, when everyone penciled them into the sweet 16.

Georgetown can get hot & probably make an elite eight, but I doubt it.

The teams with the best chance for success are like Syracuse: Plenty of athletic skill & play by the rules.

I agree with the Shumpert-Williams Team assessment as being the absolute worst. I hope the reason this team went in the tank wasn't because of similiar problems...:eek:
Well, something's going on, of that we can be sure.

This is embarrassing. Grow up we had a decent year. We went from great to ok season in the last few weeks. We lost and thus have had a season like UNC NC St Maryland FSU. Firt 80% of the season we were a top 5 team it was a decent season assuming we make the sweet 16 which we should. The team was relevant most of the season and just struggled when the games got hard and ugly down the stretch.

There is a pathetic sense of entitlement from the people who bash our team whenever we lose its annoying this was a decent year and all that matters is the tournament we are Syracuse this is a regular year for us so far just with a long run with a high ranking from getting off to a good start.

Having such a good offense early on was a curse for this team. They didn't learn to battle hard for points in gritty low scoring games because everyone was stepping up and playing great and hitting shots non conference. We just weren't ready for the prison ball tactics of the Big East.

You didn't exactly understand what I was saying there, did you?

If you don't have the intellectual capacity to decipher that statement, I won't bother to explain it to you...

BTW, I didn't even know I was banned. I imposed a self exile to avoid the falling sky crazies on here for awhile...

This is embarrassing. Grow up we had a decent year. We went from great to ok season in the last few weeks. We lost and thus have had a season like UNC NC St Maryland FSU. Firt 80% of the season we were a top 5 team it was a decent season assuming we make the sweet 16 which we should. The team was relevant most of the season and just struggled when the games got hard and ugly down the stretch.

There is a pathetic sense of entitlement from the people who bash our team whenever we lose its annoying this was a decent year and all that matters is the tournament we are Syracuse this is a regular year for us so far just with a long run with a high ranking from getting off to a good start.

Having such a good offense early on was a curse for this team. They didn't learn to battle hard for points in gritty low scoring games because everyone was stepping up and playing great and hitting shots non conference. We just weren't ready for the prison ball tactics of the Big East.
I am in agreement with most of what you have said. My only discomfort is bringing up NCState...kidding. What I believe is somewhat troubling is the fact that our pre-conference schedule was too easy especially with the closing games we played in the BE...I am sure we had one of the toughest last 7-10 games in the conference...the games were not spread over the course of the season and so we were not as battle tested as we should have been.
Additionally, we did not get the boards and points from our bigs that were expected. Was that because of lack of good big coaching...I am not sure. But nonetheless, 'Cuse will once again win 25+ games this year...and gave us numerous cause for applause and to a degree tears...so let's go out with a lot of support for the team and hopefully they will win 4 or more games the rest of the way.

The "bad" JB teams: 1981-82, 1996-97, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2007-08 and this one. 81-82 and 07-08 were impacted by injuries to key players. 96-97 and 01-02 were very young. This year's team can't shoot. The 98-99 team is the one that's always bothered me the most. The nadir of effort for a Syracuse team was against Providence that year where we kept fouling to get the ball back, they kept missing foul shots and they kept getting the rebound. I think that happened something like 9 times in a row.

But none of those teams had a losing record.

Everyone keeps saying this team can't shoot, but it's not true based on their earlier season exploits.

It's accurate to say they have struggled to shoot late in the season, but to make a blanket statement is obtuse. Obviously, if they continue this trend, it wouldn't matter how much better they were earlier, but there is no guarantee they will continue to shoot poorly.

Everyone keeps saying this team can't shoot, but it's not true based on their earlier season exploits.

It's accurate to say they have struggled to shoot late in the season, but to make a blanket statement is obtuse. Obviously, if they continue this trend, it wouldn't matter how much better they were earlier, but there is no guarantee they will continue to shoot poorly.

Dude I love ya Mantonio but this is a horrific shooting team, Triche is like 8-70 from deep, think about that.

I think you exaggerate a bit. I have personally seen him hit more than 8 threes in the Dome while in attendance...

I think you exaggerate a bit. I have personally seen him hit more than 8 threes in the Dome while in attendance...

Not exaggerated, was quoted today Triche was 8 for his last 58 from deep going into today and I dont think he hit one so hes at least 8 for his last 60

You are still not talking about the entire season. Players, AND teams can go through slumps of several games, & then turn on the switch on a moment's notice.

Earlier in the season, many of the players shot better, so we can all agree that they could turn it around.

Also, 58 shots is less than 5 games worth the shooting, so how can make such an assumption from less than 20 percent of a season?

You are still not talking about the entire season. Players, AND teams can go through slumps of several games, & then turn on the switch on a moment's notice.

Earlier in the season, many of the players shot better, so we can all agree that they could turn it around.

Also, 58 shots is less than 5 games worth the shooting, so how can make such an assumption from less than 20 percent of a season?

not 58 shots, 58 threes, say that again to yourself, 58 threes. Its a lot more then the last 5 games. The schedule doesnt lighten up, were not playing Albany or Colgate next week.

I am not sure that stat is about just threes. That stat might refer to any shot that is not a layup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom