Worst Cuse team in JB era | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Cuse team in JB era

Yes, GMac had a grit that lacks on the guards here now, but without the athleticism of Carmelo, Josh Pace, Hak, etc... There would be no Championship in 2003.

My question is, can they gather some grit for the tourney season, & turn it on like a switch?
I don't think they can just switch it on. I think this team is just what we've seen the last few weeks.

Racked up a lot of losses (nine or ten, I think) in a Big East that wasn't as strong as it had been in the last ten years nor as strong as it would be toward the middle of the decade. .

1993 team started Big East play 0-3 and finished the year 10-8. You were right about that year not being vintage Big East. Only 3 of the 10 Big East teams made the dance, although w/o probation SU would have been in there as well. Seton Hall was a 2, St. John's a 5, and Pitt a 9. Pitt lost the 8/9 game and the other two were out in the 2nd round. I'm not sure if the bracketing procedures were the same back then but the committee put #2 Seton Hall and #9 Pitt in the same region. They wouldn't meet until the elite 8 so it did follow that long time procedure. Maybe that "top 3 from the same conference must be in different regions" rule wasn't around back them.

1993 team started Big East play 0-3 and finished the year 10-8. You were right about that year not being vintage Big East. Only 3 of the 10 Big East teams made the dance, although w/o probation SU would have been in there as well. Seton Hall was a 2, St. John's a 5, and Pitt a 9. Pitt lost the 8/9 game and the other two were out in the 2nd round. I'm not sure if the bracketing procedures were the same back then but the committee put #2 Seton Hall and #9 Pitt in the same region. They wouldn't meet until the elite 8 so it did follow that long time procedure. Maybe that "top 3 from the same conference must be in different regions" rule wasn't around back them.

Seton Hall was a good team that year. Maybe not quite Georgetown in 1985 or Connecticut in '99, but Luther Wright, Terry Dehere, Karnishovas (there's no way I got that spelling right) was a really good squad. I think we beat them once in three tries?

Not sure about the bracketing; maybe the NCAA didn't have a specific policy in place.

96-97 team was the worst IMO, 19-13, 1-4 vs top 25 and a loss to Eastern Mich... Ouch!

That Eastern Michigan team was actually pretty good - they had Earl Boykins and Derrick Dial.

The "bad" JB teams: 1981-82, 1996-97, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2007-08 and this one. 81-82 and 07-08 were impacted by injuries to key players. 96-97 and 01-02 were very young. This year's team can't shoot. The 98-99 team is the one that's always bothered me the most. The nadir of effort for a Syracuse team was against Providence that year where we kept fouling to get the ball back, they kept missing foul shots and they kept getting the rebound. I think that happened something like 9 times in a row.

But none of those teams had a losing record.

Time Warner aired the second game of the '93-'94 season last night. I'll leave commentary on that game for elsewhere (it was fun), but one thing jumped out.

No wonder the 1997 team stunk. Syracuse only brought in one player in the high school class of 1993. That was Charles Gelatt, and he only stayed with us for one season. We played that year with nine scholarship guys (were we still down one as a result of sanctions?); four years later, our seniors were fifth-year Otis Hill and juco Jason Cipolla. Nice pair of players, but that team was young.

Don't remember any talk of this in '93 or '97. 1993's recruiting set us up for trouble. I wonder why that happened.

The 1981-82 team disagrees.

Well done. You got it right. This year's team has weaknesses, but is a powerhouse compared to 81-82

I did a detailed review a couple of years ago of the worst JB team ever. 81-82 was the easy winner. Their record was 16-13, did not get an NCAA invite, lost in the BE tournament in the 1st round, was 7-7 in the league and got eliminated from the NIT in the 2nd round.

1996-1997, and I don't think it's close.

The last team to not win 20 games, and they didn't even want the NIT invite, so they tanked against FSU. What a disappointment indeed, but didn't they also suffer through a Burgan suspension? He was the stud that year.

The last team to not win 20 games, and they didn't even want the NIT invite, so they tanked against FSU. What a disappointment indeed, but didn't they also suffer through a Burgan suspension? He was the stud that year.

Yep, he missed seven games. But for that, I bet we sweep Notre Dame and end up making it to the tournament.

This team, even though they have looked real bad in recent games, will surprise people in the BET and NCAA.

Heard Boeheim had Doug Gottlieb in to address team and fire them up...

Well done. You got it right. This year's team has weaknesses, but is a powerhouse compared to 81-82

I did a detailed review a couple of years ago of the worst JB team ever. 81-82 was the easy winner. Their record was 16-13, did not get an NCAA invite, lost in the BE tournament in the 1st round, was 7-7 in the league and got eliminated from the NIT in the 2nd round.

We took five of those losses when Rautins was out (I think we were 10-4 when he got hurt), and he wasn't fully healthy for our next couple.

Decent team with him (we beat Ewing and Georgetown before he was injured), 13-loss team without him.

We took five of those losses when Rautins was out (I think we were 10-4 when he got hurt), and he wasn't fully healthy for our next couple.

Decent team with him (we beat Ewing and Georgetown before he was injured), 13-loss team without him.

Fair point. Many overlook how good Rautins was. Nevertheless, while they could have done well, their final results were very poor.

This year's team's place in history has yet to be decided.
You'd never guess that from reading this board lately.

Fair point. Many overlook how good Rautins was. Nevertheless, while they could have done well, their final results were very poor.

Yep, definite poor result. And we went 0-3 against Boston College.

OK, so who wants to break the bad news to Indiana that they were just dominated by the worst Cuse team in JB era?

Lucky for us that college basketball is so weak this year, or we wouldn't even be "on the bubble"...;)

OK, so who wants to break the bad news to Indiana that they were just dominated by the worst Cuse team in JB era?

Lucky for us that college basketball is so weak this year, or we wouldn't even be "on the bubble"...;)
Pretty incredible how prescient mantonio was...

'81-82 wasn't the "worst" Boeheim team talent-wise...not with the trinity: Rautins, Santifer & Bruin.
But it was the most disappointing.

It's easy to forget just how talented Leo Rautins was. He was the point forward...when he went out with a knee injury this team was cooked.
In fact, I'd argue that purely from the skills level, Leo was THE most-talented player Boeheim ever had.
He could handle, rebound, defend, run the floor, shoot & score. And...as a passer...may be rivaled only by Sherman Douglas.

Another reason why you shouldn't post after a bad game. Someone will dig it up later and make you look like a jack-@$$.
Thanks for the reminder may be time to bump the James theus > Michael carter Williams thread

By the OP's reasoning, we should have 4 or 5 NC's by now.

I have been thinking about my comment from only a few weeks ago. Let me start with, I thought that defensively they were unbelievable last night. On most every trip, they played the zone brilliantly. No easy shots and a great collective effort on the boards. Comments on the board suggesting that Zeller, Olidipo, Hulls, etc were not very good are just wrong. Those kids can play, and although they have flaws as a team, the B1G schedule showed that they could be very good. They may not have had their best game, but I thought it was largely due to what our team did. We outplayed them and took them out of their game. (I have been a JB critic in the past at times, but JB's strategy was also outstanding by the way). Totally dominated them. Our parts stepped up in a way that I had not really seen much this year. MCW made plays, Triche played within himself without disappearing, Southerland did so many other things even when they took away his scoring role. They made What plays sometimes, but the defense was so good that it wiped away those mistakes most of the time. I could not have been prouder of both the effort and play.

At this moment I will not try and rate this team but I will say that these kids played the last few weeks with pride and guts. They stepped up, particularly defensively. Last night, they took my comment and shoved it up my $&@!. And I couldnt be happier.

I will add that I still have no confidence in this teams ability to score but if they can play defense like they did last night, they will be in every game.

I have been thinking about my comment from only a few weeks ago. Let me start with, I thought that defensively they were unbelievable last night. On most every trip, they played the zone brilliantly. No easy shots and a great collective effort on the boards. Comments on the board suggesting that Zeller, Olidipo, Hulls, etc were not very good are just wrong. Those kids can play, and although they have flaws as a team, the B1G schedule showed that they could be very good. They may not have had their best game, but I thought it was largely due to what our team did. We outplayed them and took them out of their game. (I have been a JB critic in the past at times, but JB's strategy was also outstanding by the way). Totally dominated them. Our parts stepped up in a way that I had not really seen much this year. MCW made plays, Triche played within himself without disappearing, Southerland did so many other things even when they took away his scoring role. They made What plays sometimes, but the defense was so good that it wiped away those mistakes most of the time. I could not have been prouder of both the effort and play.

At this moment I will not try and rate this team but I will say that these kids played the last few weeks with pride and guts. They stepped up, particularly defensively. Last night, they took my comment and shoved it up my $&@!. And I couldnt be happier.

I will add that I still have no confidence in this teams ability to score but if they can play defense like they did last night, they will be in every game.

Feels good to be wrong, doesn't it?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

As we have been all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom