Class of 2023 - WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Bryce Cohoon (KS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (6/29/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a board favorite to think a guy is going to be a great WR because he’s fast.
Well at least he’s a football player and not a track athlete first for once lol

This kid has some tools, but I agree that he has some things on film that make you cringe. First thing I noticed is his size, on film he looks smaller than his listed height and weight. Not a lot smaller but still worth noting. He's got some speed, there's no doubt about it. A few times you see him really hit the gas and accelerate and it's impressive. Might have something there. The thing that stuck out to me though is the times he is not showing off that speed. It's most plays, he looks like he's not playing at full speed, so I'm left questioning his effort. Is he a dog or is he just a gifted athlete who's listless and snowboarding through life?

Last thing are his skills, shows hands-catching but doesn't do it consistently, let's the ball come into his body too much. Flashes the ability to high point and make tough catches. And then route running. I agree his stem looks half-assed, there's a good example of this at the 2:15 mark of his senior highlights. He runs a little hook and go, but he doesn't sell the hook well, he just slows down and turns his body to the field. If you explode out of the route stem there, you force the db to react and you gain a tempo when you open up to run the go. He doesn't do this and even though he's fast enough to beat the db over the top, the db is able to recover because he bailed for the go early because he wasn't forced to take that extra half-second to react to the hook. What should have been a touchdown gets stopped at the 5. I say all that and then the very next play on film he does the exact opposite. He runs a perfect little whip route that creates a mile of separation because he sold the break in hard and then exploded out of the break. That was high level stuff.

Bottom line is this kid has the tools to be a very good wide reciever, no doubt one of ACC caliber. Whether he does the work to get there or not is up to him.
Give the kid a chance and benefit and wait and see after he gets the tutelage from our coaches. I believe we have a good one here.

He can be taught to run better routes. You cant teach speed and this kid has jets

Speed is irrelevant if you don’t know how to use it. There’s a hell of a lot more to being even a good WR than just being fast. I have no idea if this kid will be good or not, I hope he is but thinking he’ll be good based on his alone is short sighted.

Speed is irrelevant if you don’t know how to use it. There’s a hell of a lot more to being even a good WR than just being fast. I have no idea if this kid will be good or not, I hope he is but thinking he’ll be good based on his alone is short sighted.

Duh.

But it's equally short sighted to write a kid off for not being a fully developed, polished product at the high school level.

Anyone who is skeptical, I invite to watch his game film. Speed and hands, and he also plays with a division one quarterback at the high school level, so some interesting throws / catches to evaluate.

This kid is a fantastic, and has all the tools, with lots of room to grow. He reminds me of Pena on steroids.

In the one tape I saw, he ran fly routes and stop-and-go routes. Maybe there was one post pattern, I'm not even sure. Mostly he just blew past people. I didn't see good routes, I didn't see him catching in traffic, catching the ball over the middle, even catching the ball at its high point.

So, if he's the only guy we're bringing in, then that means it's going to probably have to be a couple of the guys already on the roster who need to step up and become 30-40 catch guys.

That's what made Marvin Harrison dangerous - elite route runner.

In the one tape I saw, he ran fly routes and stop-and-go routes. Maybe there was one post pattern, I'm not even sure. Mostly he just blew past people. I didn't see good routes, I didn't see him catching in traffic, catching the ball over the middle, even catching the ball at its high point.

So, if he's the only guy we're bringing in, then that means it's going to probably have to be a couple of the guys already on the roster who need to step up and become 30-40 catch guys.
He’s not going to be used as Ed McCaffery here. His initial job will be to take the top off of the defense and get the safeties out of the box. Something we sorely missed this year.

We need to make teams pay for covering slot receivers with a safety for crying out loud. Very few, if any, kids come out of high school as great route runners. Including Harrison.

Wouldn’t need to be said if people looked beyond that. Duh.

You seem unusually preoccupied with sweeping generalization truisms, dispensing scratch the surface analysis like it's insightful.

So when I say "duh," I mean it figuratively and literally just to be clear.

Sure, maybe this kid won't actualize his potential. Duh.

Then again, maybe he will.

You seem unusually preoccupied with sweeping generalization truisms, dispensing scratch the surface analysis like it's insightful.

So when I say "duh," I mean it figuratively and literally just to be clear.

Sure, maybe this kid won't actualize his potential. Duh.

Then again, maybe he will.

You have no point except to argue. It’s funny I don’t see you arguing with anyone else who pointed out his potential weaknesses before and after I did. But you have this weird habit of keying in on me every once in awhile when I do it. “Unusually preoccupied” is great terminology.

You have no point except to argue. It’s funny I don’t see you arguing with anyone else who pointed out his potential weaknesses before and after I did. But you have this weird habit of keying in on me every once in awhile when I do it. “Unusually preoccupied” is great terminology.
Actually, my point was to point out how pointless your post was, which was an accurate criticism in this case. I certainly don't mean to single you out, I just think you're consistent. Any imaginary criticism of the fan base you can embellish, you rise to the occasion.

Also, Cohoon is a fantastic prospect, I look forward to him demonstrating that on the field.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Calling this kid a prospect isn’t revelatory. He’s the fastest sprinter in Kansas, played with a D-1 qb, yet doesn’t have a single offer from a P5 school in Kansas, Oklahoma or Missouri.

Hope he develops and uses his attributes to prove those other schools wrong for passing on him.

It was such an apt description of your posting style. I certainly don't mean to single you out, I just think you're consistent.

Merry Christmas.

It’s okay to be wrong. No need to try to cover yourself. It’s just a message board. You don’t read my posts so don’t pretend you know what my style is.

We do have something in common though. We’re both consistent.

Happy holidays.

Calling this kid a prospect isn’t revelatory. He’s the fastest sprinter in Kansas, played with a D-1 qb, yet doesn’t have a single offer from a P5 school in Kansas, Oklahoma or Missouri.

Hope he develops and uses his attributes to prove those other schools wrong for passing on him.

Exactly. Perfectly summarized.

It’s okay to be wrong. No need to try to cover yourself. It’s just a message board. You don’t read my posts so don’t pretend you know what my style is.

We do have something in common though. We’re both consistent.

Happy holidays.

Correct. But instead of getting mad about others calling out your vapid takes, try to post better. I know you can do it!

Enjoy some figgy pudding on this joyous occasion

Status
Not open for further replies.