WR group | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

WR group

That’s just my approach to football, I’ve been burned too many times by not only the teams I support but teams I’ve been a part of. I’ll always be in a wait and see mode. I also don’t think we’re as bad as we saw the last 2 weeks and I hope coming out of the bye against VT we get back to what we started at the beginning of the year. 4-3 was always expected for the most part, just very disappointing the way we got (going to get) there.

Agree 100% with your last two sentences.

We are without our best two receivers one of which was GS favorite target and a match up nightmare. Having the opposing DBs have to worry about OG and IJ is much different than hatcher Alford and a true frosh. couple that with GS not being a good passer to begin with and it spells TROUBLE

Guess so. You are 100% skeptical, I took what Shrader had to say about Alford at face value. Sue me.

By the way, it wasn't just "coachspeak" stuff that Shrader was saying. He repeatedly discussed how he and Alford had built a connection throughout preseason. So yeah, I expected to see it translate.

Again, I don't think the team is as bad as we played Saturday. But I'm worried. Losing sucks, and when it occurs this place tears itself apart.
I appreciate all you say. I advise you leave this thread because it is full of trolling which is a normal response after the non- competitive horror show we witnessed on Saturday. The anger lasts several days when you throw your passion behind something which disappoints to the point it did against NC. I'm with you on your comments but have no perspective right now because there is a hangover of anger and disappointment.

I'm not sure what any of it means or proves, but the QB throwing them the ball is as bad a passing QB as we've started this century. He's right in their with Culpepper. For as bad as the two underclassman are in the eyes of a few posters on the board they actually bailed the QB out Saturday.
thats-ridiculous-colin-jost (1).gif

we have a QB with at best an Avg arm and an oline that does not often provide time to get to the 2/3 spot on the field. Sat. was probably the best the WRs have caught the ball all yr for contested catches.. Thats a good sign going forward , whether that means much this yr. the big difference in the game was that UNC gave the kid time to look over the field too many times so the longer routes had time to develop.. Our oline does not.

Crossing routes are nice but they are not quick plays.

Look at the dolphins and how often the big plays happen because they have elite speed who has time to get down the field where separation happens. Bills took that away and they struggled. Hill is great but he doesnt beat most guys on route running. He beats them with straight speed or time for him to get lost. no different than with KC. Hold the pressure off and the let the QB find the spot to beat you. We dont have the kind of oline or the QB to do that.

It might be ridiculous but his biggest asset is his legs and if he couldn't run, he would not win one game with his arm.
We've had many guys like that over the past 23 years and some that couldn't beat anyone with either their arm or legs.

I'm not sure what any of it means or proves, but the QB throwing them the ball is as bad a passing QB as we've started this century. He's right in their with Culpepper. For as bad as the two underclassman are in the eyes of a few posters on the board they actually bailed the QB out Saturday.

Ya. We won’t agree. The great thing about this is we’ll see how they’ll be valued after the season.

They didn’t bail out anyone. Are we now avoiding Alford after he was apparently NFL bound?

Hatcher and Brown maybe average 180 soaking wet.

Bail out. Please. Those guys can’t consistently do anything. They do something right here and there and we hold it up as anything that matters.

Our QB isn't good enough either - he is not a consistent thrower especially against good teams.

You let me know when we get a dime dropper here. We can’t. Because our OL will literally never have the talent and depth. We need an athletic QB.

Our OL is toast. Our WRs are toast. Our TEs are a joke. Blame Shrader all you want, he’s far from perfect, but having Alford, Villari and two WRs that would get thrown off route with a strong gust of wind makes it infinitely harder for anyone playing QB.

Again, after the season, let’s see what happens. Happy to be totally wrong about these guys.

We've had many guys like that over the past 23 years and some that couldn't beat anyone with either their arm or legs.

Yes...we've lost a lot of games over 23 years. The 23 year record is 121-164

Shrader has 27 starts. His record is 14-13 as a starter.

Pasqualoni had the best record during this stretch at 26-22
GRob > 16-43
Marrone > 25-25
Shafer > 14-23
Babers > 40-51

Last edited:
You let me know when we get a dime dropper here. We can’t. Because our OL will literally never have the talent and depth. We need an athletic QB.

Our OL is toast. Our WRs are toast. Our TEs are a joke. Blame Shrader all you want, he’s far from perfect, but having Alford, Villari and two WRs that would get thrown off route with a strong gust of wind makes it infinitely harder for anyone playing QB.

Again, after the season, let’s see what happens. Happy to be totally wrong about these guys.
Athletic QBs can also be better throwers than GS. It's not an either or thing. Agree all the other units need major upgrades but giving the QB a pass doesn't work for me. We need a better thrower with a better internal clock.

I like that Hatcher was a tough guy to tackle vs UNC and reminded me of Harris in that way. I hope this continues.

Presumably Jones is back with Brown, Hatcher and Gill. With normal improvement and S&C, we should be OK. Maybe add one super fast WR for balance.

Might need OL and DE more than a WR.
Cannot count on Jones - durability is not there. We need to pay up for 1 and ideally 2 top shelf receivers. Bees says we have the money, so let’s see.

1989 bill scharr had rob moore, rob carpenter and chris gedney to throw at. talk about targets.

I like Brown and Hatcher as WR3/4. Need higher end guys at WR1/2.

Gadsen being out was much bigger than thought by most and I was never high on Jones being a #2. Alford is what he is and WR3 seems to have been his ceiling all along.
Made no sense that some were trying to undersell the loss of a literal All American level player. Defensive coordinator’s were going to go in to games against us trying to figure out how to stop him, that would’ve opened up things everywhere else. Baffling on all accounts. Only a few schools can lose an All American player and not bat an eye, I promise, Syracuse university is not one of those schools.

I hope Kendall Long gets some snaps this week. He's a physical player and seemingly had a very good camp.
I'm surprised he hasn't gotten as much considering he was supposed to be good in August.

Made no sense that some were trying to undersell the loss of a literal All American level player. Defensive coordinator’s were going to go in to games against us trying to figure out how to stop him, that would’ve opened up things everywhere else. Baffling on all accounts. Only a few schools can lose an All American player and not bat an eye, I promise, Syracuse university is not one of those schools.
The offense was fine until the last two games. Same issues against similar teams last year. When Gadsden played.

Unless he could play left tackle, it doesn’t matter.

And his missing shouldn‘t have much of an impact the last five games.

The offense was fine until the last two games. Same issues against similar teams last year. When Gadsden played.

Guess we will see. I disagree big time.

The difference is the other teams best player in the secondary is now lining up against Damian Alford, not a great matchup for us. Having OG on the field allowed us to have more favorable matchups everywhere else. The O line being bad is even more of a reason not having OG hurts. How many times last year did GS get in to trouble because of the line, and throw up a 50/50 ball to OG and he makes the play? Not having your almost 6’6 All American WR/TE as a security blanket is bad no matter which way you spin it. Yes the line sucks, that doesn’t mean OGs loss is any less felt.

Presumably Jones is back with Brown, Hatcher and Gill. With normal improvement and S&C, we should be OK. Maybe add one super fast WR for balance.

Might need OL and DE more than a WR.

And this type of thinking is why our WR and OL production is always poor. Players don’t always improve. WR’s and OL players definitely don’t improve here in the last 8 years, not enough to keep up with our peer schools. Every year, these groups will be better because they’re a year older and “S&C”. The trajectory for players isn’t always up; sometimes it’s down, sometimes it’s flat, sometimes it’s marginal improvement while our peer schools have players with significant talent at key positions. We’ve been very poor at recruiting both of those positions but especially WR.

Your first paragraph quite literally shows that it was blind optimism. Every player behind OG had to prove that they could play. Jones had 4 catches last year before getting hurt, Alford was always inconsistent. Just assuming they’re going to make a big jump and using that to say “they’re going to be a unit opponents fear” is just wrong in my opinion. If you had said you thought they were going to make a jump fine, but to say what you did to the extent you did, is blind optimism.

Actually he was always consistent. He’d catch 1-2 balls a game and when he caught 3 everyone thought he was going to be the next superstar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom