WR group | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

WR group

So no one can say where they would be in the list of WR groups in the ACC, right?

Listen, they have their moments. They have potential, for sure. But this is a position group where we will have to make up ground in other areas because they aren't at the level to be truly competitive in the ACC.

This is what I mean. It's fine to say they will be good. It's fine to say they have good moments. But without OG, this isn't an upper level ACC WR group right now. They probably aren't even a mid-level group if we're being really honest. And that's fine. No team is perfect across the board. But we need them to grow during the year, we need Beck to be smart in his offensive strategy which no doubt he will and we need Shrader to be super man a little bit, which, if healthy, I think he can do.

Listen, our D and Shrader and how the OL could be pieced together was always going to be our ticket.
Surely without OG they’re near the back end. Agree we have a lot of potential, but there’s still a lot to prove aswell. Hoping obviously that GS can help them out as much as possible with ball placement.

So no one can say where they would be in the list of WR groups in the ACC, right?

Listen, they have their moments. They have potential, for sure. But this is a position group where we will have to make up ground in other areas because they aren't at the level to be truly competitive in the ACC.

This is what I mean. It's fine to say they will be good. It's fine to say they have good moments. But without OG, this isn't an upper level ACC WR group right now. They probably aren't even a mid-level group if we're being really honest. And that's fine. No team is perfect across the board. But we need them to grow during the year, we need Beck to be smart in his offensive strategy which no doubt he will and we need Shrader to be super man a little bit, which, if healthy, I think he can do.

Listen, our D and Shrader and how the OL could be pieced together was always going to be our ticket.

Well here's how they stack up against the ACC.

Our Wide Receivers minus Gadsen have 44 catches for 744 yards. That 744 yards is better than the combined team receiving yards of VT, NC State, BC, Duke, and Pitt.

For the teams above us I bet if I subtracted out their Running Back or Tight End receiving yards from their totals it would put our 6 receives towards the top.

Total Team Receiving Yards
Miami - 966
(Syracuse) - 933
Georgia Tech - 930
North Carolina - 891
Wake Forest - 837
Louisville - 831
Florida State - 829
Clemson - 818
Virginia - 746
Our 6 WRs (Alford, Hatcher, Brown, Jones, Long, Gill) - 744 yards
Virginia Tech - 724
NC State - 679
Boston College - 674
Duke - 648
Pitt - 534

It's either a good 'group' or it's not. Does one player elevate it from good to great? IDK.

Individually the ACC has a WR top 25:
#8 Donovan Brown
#12 Umari Hatcher
#21 Isaiah Jones

Miami, Syracuse, Virginia have 2 guys each in the top 12.

1Thrash,Jamari (Louisville)314329485245110
2Restrepo,Xavier (Miami)317314048196105
3Washington,Malik (Virginia)31828916316696.3
4Banks,Jahmal (Wake Forest)31822333312674.3
5Young,Colbie (Miami)31520924414569.7
6Wilson,Johnny (Florida State)31120904419469.7
7Fields,Malachi (Virginia)31920703011669
8Brown,Donovan (Syracuse)31220618617468.7
9George,Jacolby (Miami)31620246413567.3
10Singleton, Jr.,Eric (Georgia Tech)31020035120366.7
11Collins,Beaux (Clemson)31319716915465.7
12Hatcher,Umari (Syracuse)3918814821362.7
13Calhoun,Jalon (Duke)31418213413560.7
14Rutherford,Malik (Georgia Tech)31417905513559.7
15Jones,J.J. (North Carolina)31017905718359.7
16Morin,Taylor (Wake Forest)31217624815458.7
17Bond,Lewis (Boston College)31217524215458.3
18Grimes,Wesley (Wake Forest)3817214922357.3
19Coleman,Keon (Florida State)31217044114456.7
20Moore,Jordan (Duke)31216014913453.3
21Jones,Isaiah (Syracuse)3815724420352.3
22Bartholomew,Gavin (Pitt)3715716022252.3
23Williams,Ke'Shawn (Wake Forest)31115013414450
24Williams,Antonio (Clemson)3151452299.7548.3
25Paysour,Kobe (North Carolina)3161431348.9547.7

*I'm not going through the exercise of comparing schedules. We've played 1 FCS, 1 MAC and 1 P5.

Last edited:
I went back thru to see the drops/passing/ and Shrader running plays as well.

On his true running plays, he got hit 7 times and a few more on passing plays. So he ran a bunch and got hit a few times, but solid contact was not very often. He played it safe on many of the runs.

While we had a good chunk of drops 6+, we also had 7+ contested throws.

I found the WRs made 2 catches that I would call Pretty good. Purdue had 10..

I found 5 throws that should have been for a TD, 1 was the Hatcher drop but 1 other should have been caught as well. There were 3 that was just a poorly placed throw that led to a miss or a drop or into a contested throw.

Shraders throwing was bad. I have him down for 17 good throws and 11 bad throws. many of the contested throws were because of bad ball placement.

I think if you put a better throw on the ball it was a 4/400 type game. There were guys running free on deep balls 5-6 times and we got zero out of them.

In addition, the D played better than the stats say.. there were 4 drives extended on missed play/tackle, in a game that they actually tackled pretty well. Purdue was lucky they didn't end up with 7-8 TOs, one we had didnt count and one we had got overturned by just the luck of a guy touching the sideline.
Shrader is an average passer at best. Its not his gift so he needs to WR group to step up.

Every guy playing is new to the level of usage they are taking on.

Even with that SU is 19th nationally and 2nd in the ACC.

Are you really saying a WR group that is towards the bottom of the ACC would do that, even with the completion that they played.

Does anyone know who the good ACC WR groups are? I certainly don't. FSU I assume. UNC lost that one transfer they were counting on.
Of course we are not as good without OG. What groups would be as good without their best guy? Not even sure how people are determining Wr tiers without them playing Acc games.

Of course we are not as good without OG. What groups would be as good without their best guy? Not even sure how people are determining Wr tiers without them playing Acc games.
Yep

I would like to see a TE as the slot guy a bit , just for better size and blocking against a team like Army.

For this week save the wear on Garrett, and put Perry in and run a power game with Allen.

Our top 4 wr are ranked 19-30 in the ACC per PFF, led by I Jones

Alford is not in the top 4 receiving grades

I am still bullish on them, just sharing for interest
The fact that we were expecting them to make tough catches is a change from the past we used to assume an automatic drop if the coverage was good or if someone like Taj Harris was going to have to take a hit to make the play.

That was the only thing I can think of.

And Villari looked smooth on his catch and run. Really liked what I saw.
let's use him, good athlete, with more time, he's gonna be good there

Bumping this thread as proof that you have to let the schedule play out before you can get a read on a positional group.

Alford has 1 catch the last 2 weeks
Long 1 catch the last 2 weeks
Gill has barely seen the field
Pena hurt (shocking)
Jones is allegedly in the dog house
Hatcher nice game against UNC no catches vs Clemson

Wr recruiting by whoever is the coach next year needs a 180 change. The lack of Acc level receivers is beyond glaring.

Bumping this thread as proof that you have to let the schedule play out before you can get a read on a positional group.

Alford has 1 catch the last 2 weeks
Long 1 catch the last 2 weeks
Gill has barely seen the field
Pena hurt (shocking)
Jones is allegedly in the dog house
Hatcher nice game against UNC no catches vs Clemson

Wr recruiting by whoever is the coach next year needs a 180 change. The lack of Acc level receivers is beyond glaring.
Jones in the doghouse? I thought he was still hurt.

It starts with the oline and the dline. Until we can competently recruit good big guys on both sides we will always be middle to bottom of the pack. Look at any great year we had. It starts with the trenches. For some reason good offensive lineman don't want to come here.

all our wrs are afraid to get hit, thats all ill say... they seem soft

6 games in we have 2 guys in the ACC top 25.

Hatcher is # 20 down from #12 - 19 for 310, 2 TD

Brown is # 22 down from #8 - 22 for 298, 1 TD

Jones has dropped out.

Hatcher and Brown were receivers number 4 and 5 entering the season.

Hatcher is a sophomore

Brown is a freshman

(how does the QB factor in?)

Last edited:
I have said this before. Gs has to throw the ball up and let Alford get it. Or any of our guys. Good teams cover good receivers and the only way they make catches is to throw it open. With gs arm right now, I don’t believe he thinks he can do it. Hee has to run if he can’t throw period. Watching bama and a m, they covered great but the qb threw them open on both sides. People keep talking about separation when it doesn’t really happen to good teams cause they all r fast. What does happen is great routes and qb who throw the ball where only our guy will get it. Gs almost got Brown killed yesterday throwing behind him thru the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom