WR group | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

WR group

Not sure on that. I kind of think he's like it’s a gimme and lacks concentration in those situations.
We can’t know the truth, we don’t live in his head. I can see both sides. It’s not a hands thing, I know that much. Someone with bad hands doesn’t make the high degree of difficulty catches that he makes.

I’m wondering if route running is a real issue with Alford. You don’t get targeted if you’re not open or where you’re supposed to be.

Alford's flaws are he loses concentration on some easy ones every once in a while and he is not a great route runner. He doesn't seem to get good separation all that often. Obviously there are times he's running free due to bad defense etc. He obviously has great size and leaping ability and is pretty fast. He does have pretty good hands though in that he can make a fair amount of tough catches even though he may not be wide open. In interviews Shrader has praised him for making great catches nearly everyday throughout fall camp. He seems to be the receiver Shrader commented on the most. So we can't just discount his game because he dropped an easy ball. He is a pretty good blocker with his size. Though with OG out i'd prefer Isaiah Jones be the #1 target. Alford doesn't get enough seperation for a #1 in my opinion. I'd like to see him be more physical. He should be manhandling DB's a bit more. I like Jones all around game the best at the moment. But we have quite a few options. Hatcher is getting better and better. Still may need to get a bit stronger to be a solid #1 in my opinion.
I like that analysis. I don’t understand how a kid has a weakness, like route running, and doesn’t get coached, or work on privately, extensively. We know he can catch and jump, so why not focus 1000% on Route running techniques. Do some kids just not get it, or is it harder to learn than it seems?

Does he really drop a lot of passes, and I'm misremembering?

I always thought his inconsistency stemmed from probably not getting open, since he just wouldn't be much of a presence in games (until one big catch).

Just don't recall him being a guy with a case of the dropsies.

Yeah I’ve never thought of him as a guy that drops passes. His problem is he disappears and isn’t a factor in most games. He’ll make an amazing catch, he always does, guy has incredible talent. But then he won’t catch a ball the rest of the game and maybe only one catch the next game.

That drop sucked but drops like that happen. I saw guys dropping “easy” catches in the NFL and CFB all weekend. But it happens, games and players don’t play perfect for the entire time.

We can’t know the truth, we don’t live in his head. I can see both sides. It’s not a hands thing, I know that much. Someone with bad hands doesn’t make the high degree of difficulty catches that he makes.
Yeah i agree and don't think he has bad hands. I think he lacks concentration on some easy ones sometimes.

I like that analysis. I don’t understand how a kid has a weakness, like route running, and doesn’t get coached, or work on privately, extensively. We know he can catch and jump, so why not focus 1000% on Route running techniques. Do some kids just not get it, or is it harder to learn than it seems?

All of these guys are playing at the highest level of football you can play, minus the NFL obviously. Not everyone will master, improve a skill set or even become efficient at a skill they are lacking in. There’s always this idea players will improve from year to year, a QB will improve their accuracy next year, or an OL will improve his footwork or hand placement. No, they may not. They may have reached their ceiling where they are or at a particular skill. His route running may be where it’s at because it’s as far as his body will take him.

I’m in no way saying this is true for him or that route running itself is the issue. He may not have the hip speed to make cuts in his route running to create separation most of the time. I don’t know. But it’s possible he’s at his ceiling. I hope not, I love his potential.

He will play in the NFL. He is a late bloomer kids going to shine on Saturday

I don't think its always not knowing how to run a route. I'm sure he practices it a lot. I think a lot of route running is natural abilities in change of direction, stopping ability, shiftiness, elusiveness and being able to fake people out. Just like some RB's are more elusive or QB's are more elusive in the pocket. There are obviously things to teach but natural skills are a big part of it.

Last edited:
Jones is going to fill OGs spot.

Regarding Alford, he unfortunately is not consistent and that is his undoing. You can't make a highlight catch followed up by a bad drop. Guys will take your job when you drop TD passes. I've yet to see Hatcher, Brown or Gill drop a catchable ball and both Hatcher/Brown have made grabs they shouldn't have.
When you have players who go up and high point the ball, knowing they are going to receive a hard hit, and come down with the catch, then you have a good WR.

We should expect any WR to be consistent as a baseline with decent hands, decent route running and being able to grab 50/50 balls more often than not. That's not a #1, that's a starting WR.

I like Alford, but he's been given more runway than almost any other player we've ever had. He's had moments, he has the measureables, it sounds like GS likes him... but he just needs to produce. No more hoping.

I do think we have talent in the WR room. No one person is replacing OG. But I think IJ is our reliable guy, but Hatcher and Brown can be our explosive guys.

Alford was 5th in receptions. How much is on him? The qb controls where the ball goes.

He did lead the ACC in PPA for WR with 20 receptions last year.

Alford was 5th in receptions. How much is on him? The qb controls where the ball goes.

People looking for reasons to complain. We'll see plenty of Alford in coming games.

I think Alford is either the first option or the last option and seldom read 2-3.. When 70% of the plays OG was the first option that doesnt lead to a ton of chances.

I don't know what 5th in receptions means in relation to the amount of snaps he played.

He must be tearing it up in practice to get all the snaps he is getting….
Or the coaching staffs do not want to show much of the ones the first two games. Jones and Brown got targets more than the others. Alford not a lot of looks either game. Long was supposedly really good in camp only really got limited run the first game.
No throws to LaQuint which will change.

He must be tearing it up in practice to get all the snaps he is getting….
Yeah I was more excited by the total package of what he had put together for his HS highlights than Cahoon who many seemed to be very excited for. Still didn't think he'd see the field for a couple years due to his slight build though. But he seems like he has it. Hopefully he can improve in the muscle mass department and we have unearthed a real gem of a nice weapon. Cahoon just seems like he may be a little earlier in the development stages of his WR skills but he has some good physical traits to work with.

Jones, Alford, Hatcher, Brown is the core group. Gill is the 5th guy until Pena can go. You don’t need more than 5 guys any game. They stay healthy that’s fine. Allen is a weapon out of the backfield, Hopefully VillarI can give them something.

Not sure where Long fits in their plans at this point.

Adams is going to focus on returns would be my guess.

Excellent height, very good speed, shown ability to make tough catches. How good are they against zones, Gadsden is next level there. Can they beat press man if singled up. We’ll know in the next three weeks.

The one silver lining of OG’s “owie” is that it’s forcing Shredder to look for other WR’s, rather than just always force the rock to his wubbie.
Even when he was covered, or doubled.

Getting in-game chemistry with Jones, Brown, Hatcher et al will pay big dividends down the line,
especially if OG comes back and is as effective as he has been.

OG drawing the opponents best cover guy, means the other WR’s can potentially get more open for bigger plays.

And… we still haven’t even started throwing to LeQuint.
Yet. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom