WWE Thread | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

Yeah I wasn't watching wrestling yet, but in reading back about the period, there seems to be a period late 91 early 92 where they went a little edgier. You also had the snake biting Macho man, and Jake slapping Liz? I think that was also around then
The evil Jake character was way ahead of his time.
It turned Undertaker face. He threatened to use a steel chair on Macho Man or Ms. Elizabeth no matter who was the first one to come thru the curtain.
Undertaker who was a heel was like no way you are going to use the chair on a women and took the chair as Jake was about to swing and it would have been on Macho.
Evil Jake was ahead of his time when he had the snake Lucifer.
Macho allowed the Cobra to bite him.
However the truth behind the story was Macho only did it after Jake backstage did it to himself and he knew the cobra didn’t have venom.

The snake bite was censored on TV after execs went crazy about it.

The evil Jake character was way ahead of his time.
It turned Undertaker face. He threatened to use a steel chair on Macho Man or Ms. Elizabeth no matter who was the first one to come thru the curtain.
Undertaker who was a heel was like no way you are going to use the chair on a women and took the chair as Jake was about to swing and it would have been on Macho.
Evil Jake was ahead of his time when he had the snake Lucifer.

Yes. His promos in that time were phenomenal. It’s too bad it didn’t last longer. It was like summer ‘91 to spring ‘92 and then he was gone after Mania 8.

His career was basically done after that too. He never had a good run again.

Major shift after Mania 8. Hogan, Sid, Jake, Piper all gone. Guys like Texas Tornado would be gone soon, longtime mainstays like Greg Valentine, Snuka, Tito Santana started leaving too after being way down the card.

Watch Royal Rumble 92, and then see how many of those guys were gone by Rumble 93. Huge shift.

Yes. His promos in that time were phenomenal. It’s too bad it didn’t last longer. It was like summer ‘91 to spring ‘92 and then he was gone after Mania 8.

Major shift after Mania 8. Hogan, Sid, Jake, Piper all gone. Guys like Texas Tornado would be gone soon, longtime mainstays like Greg Valentine, Snuka, Tito Santana started leaving too after being way down the card.

Watch Royal Rumble 92, and then see how many of those guys were gone by Rumble 93. Huge shift.[
/QUOTE]

Yeah it's always fascinating to me to look back notice such a huge shift like that; also, Flair was gone right after Rumble 93 as well (granted he wasn't a WWF mainstay but he had basically been at the top of the card ever since he had been with the company). Savage wasn't totally gone either, but really moved down from wrestling a lot.

Yeah, Savage rarely wrestled after Survivor Series ‘92. Sgt. Slaughter is another one who was just about done.

Tag division too. Legion of Doom was soon gone. Nasty Boys weren’t around much longer. Crazy turnover.

Macho allowed the Cobra to bite him.
However the truth behind the story was Macho only did it after Jake backstage did it to himself and he knew the cobra didn’t have venom.

The snake bite was censored on TV after execs went crazy about it.

Yeah, that was insane. I wouldn’t allow myself to be bitten by a baby Garden snake, let alone a cobra. Venom or not, I can’t even imagine that.

First members of this year's HOF class: The original Hart Foundation – Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart and Jimmy Hart

First members of this year's HOF class: The original Hart Foundation – Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart and Jimmy Hart

How the hell weren’t they already in? I know Bret went in solo a long time ago, but still.

Still nice, good for Nattie and the family IMO. But I wish Anvil got the honor while he was still here.

How the hell weren’t they already in? I know Bret went in solo a long time ago, but still.

Still nice, good for Nattie and the family IMO. But I wish Anvil got the honor while he was still here.

Yep feel bad Anvil isn't with us. I read he had Alzheimer's at the time of this passing from the heart attack. I wasn't aware of that.

Ok, although I don’t like it, I usually understand from a business sense why all the old guys and McMahons get involved as we move towards Wrestlemania. I think it’s very shortsighted, but I do see the logic.

However, this Becky Lynch-Ronda angle absolutely does NOT need Stephanie. It’s already the biggest angle they’ve had. So I really don’t understand that one. And I often like Stephanie. I think she really helped make that Daniel Bryan angle in 2014, and thought she was good with Ronda last year.

But this angle? Why?

Ok, although I don’t like it, I usually understand from a business sense why all the old guys and McMahons get involved as we move towards Wrestlemania. I think it’s very shortsighted, but I do see the logic.

However, this Becky Lynch-Ronda angle absolutely does NOT need Stephanie. It’s already the biggest angle they’ve had. So I really don’t understand that one. And I often like Stephanie. I think she really helped make that Daniel Bryan angle in 2014, and thought she was good with Ronda last year.

But this angle? Why?
Is Stephanie trying to create Austin-McMahon with Becky?
It will fail unless Stephaine puts her gigantic ego aside and allows Becky to humiliate her like Vince did for Austin.
Stephaine doesn’t allow herself to be humiliated recently she always has to get that heel heat and dominant even when she doesn’t win.

It will suck if they force Charlotte into this match. Becky is so over it’s a joke.

Is Stephanie trying to create Austin-McMahon with Becky?
It will fail unless Stephaine puts her gigantic ego aside and allows Becky to humiliate her like Vince did for Austin.
Stephaine doesn’t allow herself to be humiliated recently she always has to get that heel heat and dominant even when she doesn’t win.

It will suck if they force Charlotte into this match. Becky is so over it’s a joke.

Pretty hamfisted approach if they’re really trying to make this the “new Austin-McMahon.”

Watch Royal Rumble 92, and then see how many of those guys were gone by Rumble 93. Huge shift.
Wasn’t all that because of Nitro?

What little interest I had in wrestling then, left with those guys.

I didn’t come back for about 5-6 years, during the Attitude Era and Stone Cold, the Rock and whoever Mick Foley decided to wrestle as took over the World.

Speaking of which, what is the Road Dogg’s deal.

Is he back? Same with Jeff Jarett, I liked them again last night.

The ‘OH YOU DIDNT KNOW??!!’ Still gets the hairs on he back of neck standing.

Watched Summerslam 2002 last night. Great card. HHH vs HBK was awesome especially since HBK had not wrestled for four years. Same with Rock, Brock. Also great mid card matches.

They are for sure putting Charlotte in the match. it's so dumb

They are for sure putting Charlotte in the match. it's so dumb

There ARE reasons for Charlotte to be in the match. The main one being that she'd be the best ring general in the match. We've already seen that, when things don't go as planned, Ronda Rousey can lose it. I mean completely. It's important to WWE that this match succeed as a WRESTLING match. As of now, Charlotte isn't winning, Becky is. Charlotte's there to make sure that the match doesn't go off the rails.

I STILL can't stand Stephanie's presence, though. The McMahons no longer equal ratings. I know I change the channel whenever one of them shows up.

There ARE reasons for Charlotte to be in the match. The main one being that she'd be the best ring general in the match. We've already seen that, when things don't go as planned, Ronda Rousey can lose it. I mean completely. It's important to WWE that this match succeed as a WRESTLING match. As of now, Charlotte isn't winning, Becky is. Charlotte's there to make sure that the match doesn't go off the rails.

I STILL can't stand Stephanie's presence, though. The McMahons no longer equal ratings. I know I change the channel whenever one of them shows up.
Charlotte is the female Roman Reigns if she ends up in this main event.
Her ring work is any better than Bayley or Asuka.
She is better than Sasha Banks who is sloppy in the ring.

This match doesn’t need Charlotte. It can be a brawl between Rousey and Becky.
Charlotte’s presence is so she can be part of the match Becky getting over started last summer when creative had to shoe horn Charlotte into Becky’s title match and creative having Charlotte go over.
They tried turning Becky heel but it was completely rejected and the Roman Reigns superwomen Heat got onto Charlotte.

Charlotte’s presence is so she can be part of the match Becky getting over started last summer when creative had to shoe horn Charlotte into Becky’s title match and creative having Charlotte go over.
They tried turning Becky heel but it was completely rejected and the Roman Reigns superwomen Heat got onto Charlotte.

I know what you're saying, and that's probably the general consensus. However, when Ronda hasn't had the benefit of working on her matches ad nauseum before events, she gets lost out there. If things fall apart in a match of this importance, you need to have someone to get everybody back in line. WWE doesn't want to risk a trainwreck, and I think that's why Charlotte's in the match as of now. As to Bayley, her work w/Ronda was a clusterbleep and, I think proves my point. Charlotte is far from my fave, but you don't want the WM Main Event to be a clusterbleep. Asuka is great, and there was some talk of it being a four-way, but that's not the plan as of now.
Hey, wait a week and Vince will change his mind.

Will the match be better with Charlotte? Probably.

I just don't think that's the point. The people want to see Becky beat Ronda. Period. Adding a third person always waters down the issue. They're going to work the match out a million times before they go out there. Ronda has pretty much always been great in that situation.

Another thing I’m noticing about spring and now summer 1992 WWF...they seemed to switch gears on a lot of angles, with no real TV payoff.

The Mountie - Sgt. Slaughter
Bret Hart - Shawn Michaels for the IC title
Papa Shango-Ultimate Warrior
Legion of Doom - Beverly Brothers

They spent quite a bit of TV time starting and building those feuds, and seemingly just dropped all of them.

Another thing I’m noticing about spring and now summer 1992 WWF...they seemed to switch gears on a lot of angles, with no real TV payoff.

The Mountie - Sgt. Slaughter
Bret Hart - Shawn Michaels for the IC title
Papa Shango-Ultimate Warrior
Legion of Doom - Beverly Brothers

They spent quite a bit of TV time starting and building those feuds, and seemingly just dropped all of them.
LoD-Beverly Brothers went nowhere because Hawk got fired for doing the 1992 Summerslam match with Money Inc drunk because he hated Rocco.
Bret Hart was suppose to lose the IC title to Shawn Michaels in September 1992 but he convinced Vince to have lose the IC belt to British Bulldog at Summerslam 92 in London and then Bulldog dropped it to Shawn.
HBK-Bret at Survivor Series 92 was because Flair left and they needed a title match.
Warrior got fired in 1992 because Vince had a steroid problem and trial thus implemented a drug policy that Warrior violated.

LoD-Beverly Brothers went nowhere because Hawk got fired for doing the 1992 Summerslam match with Money Inc drunk because he hated Rocco.
Bret Hart was suppose to lose the IC title to Shawn Michaels in September 1992 but he convinced Vince to have lose the IC belt to British Bulldog at Summerslam 92 in London and then Bulldog dropped it to Shawn.
HBK-Bret at Survivor Series 92 was because Flair left and they needed a title match.
Warrior got fired in 1992 because Vince had a steroid problem and trial thus implemented a drug policy that Warrior violated.

But why wasn’t it Beverly Brothers - LOD at Summerslam? They built up a feud for months, and then at SS they switched it to Beverly Brothers- Natural Disasters and Money Inc-LOD.

Oh yeah...add Money Inc - Natural Disaters as a feud they were building. They just randomly switched which tag teams were beefing, lol.

Add Tatanka -Martel as a feud they temporarily dropped, only to revive in the fall. Assumingly because Michaels was no longer going for the IC title, so they threw together the Martel feud to give Michaels something to do. And then threw together Tatanka-Berzerker to keep them busy.

Also...Warrior was around until early fall. They just dropped the Shango feud and threw him in vs. Savage.

Weird build up to Summerslam. It’s like they completely wasted April-June on stuff that didn’t matter. I’m fascinated by this.

I was watching 1990 Great American Bash and saw Undertaker wrestling as Mean Mark Callous against Lex Luger.
It was weird. Taker was managed by Paul Heyman going by Paulie E. dangerously.

Flair didn't leave till Rumble 93. I think it was more because they had to fire all the juiced up guys and all they had left was workrate guys.

The IC title; I dunno. Summerslam 92 came down to either running in DC, with Shawn-Bret, or Wembley, with Bret-Davey. Probably was gonna end up on Shawn either way.

Flair didn't leave till Rumble 93. I think it was more because they had to fire all the juiced up guys and all they had left was workrate guys.

The IC title; I dunno. Summerslam 92 came down to either running in DC, with Shawn-Bret, or Wembley, with Bret-Davey. Probably was gonna end up on Shawn either way.
Flair gave his 90 days notice before Survivor Series 1992 that is why the world title match was Bret-Shawn.

Shawn-Bret was suppose to happen at 92 Summerslam. Bret in his book admitted he got Vince to change it to Bret-Davey Boy Smith because he chose the event to be in London and have the native son go over and get the title, with the understanding that Davey wasn’t long for the belt and Shawn would get it off him.

Flair gave his 90 days notice before Survivor Series 1992 that is why the world title match was Bret-Shawn.

Shawn-Bret was suppose to happen at 92 Summerslam. Bret in his book admitted he got Vince to change it to Bret-Davey Boy Smith because he chose the event to be in London and have the native son go over and get the title, with the understanding that Davey wasn’t long for the belt and Shawn would get it off him.

Is the Flair thing true? The story Meltzer has always told is that Flair had a handshake deal with Vince that if he was ever moved down the cards, then Vince would let him go back to WCW. So I believe him dropping the title to Bret and being moved off the main event precipitated him leaving, as opposed to the other way around.

Bret has a really high opinion of himself; I somewhat doubt he single handedly was able to get Vince to change the location of the second biggest PPV of the year and move it to another continent. I think the company had to decide on DC vs London, and either way Bret was dropping the belt. And I don't doubt he was pushing London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom