You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another

Lars Tiffany said the UVa coaches are going to meet with the seniors individually to discuss their futures. The biggest problem is going to be money since the NCAA hasn't said anything about raising the scholarship levels. All the non-Ivies are going to have to deal with this for all the spring sports.

This sucks any way you look at it...for everyone. The spring sport seniors deserve another year...but that's it. Other classes got kicked in the gut too, but if they give every class another year of eligibility, the 2020 class will be dealing with it for 4 years. Its not fair. Everyone is losing out, but dont prolong it.

Wait a minute, does that mean the student has to attend school another year? Or do they just get a year of eligibility regardless if they are attending school? Why would some players come back when they most likely will go pro.
Spring sports only. The roster size/scholarship limits will be key

If there was one senior on our roster that we could get back next year who would you want that to be?
Mellen would be my choice. I would use a scholarship/roster spot to keep him on. He would be the choice even if he played every game this year.

If there was one senior on our roster that we could get back next year who would you want that to be?
Mellen would be my choice. I would use a scholarship/roster spot to keep him on. He would be the choice even if he played every game this year.

I feel bad for "rating" players but I'll take your question a step further. I'll rank who I'd like to see back the most, and I'll limit it to five.

1. Porter - probably one of the best three goalies in the country, SU has lots of depth but no clear guy to take over. I think he's clearly the first choice.
2. Trimboli - surprised to say this given how deep the Orange are at midfield, but he was probably the best and most consistent midfielder Syracuse had last year. He was playing lights out before the season ended.
3. Dearth - coin flip here between Dearth and Mellen. Both are first team all American candidates but we saw the defense perform pretty admirably with Mellen out. I guess I still have the Colgate performance logged in my head. Having a really good short stick defensive midfielder just changes the entire defense.
4. Mellen - I can't beleive he's down here. Mellen is so tricky to grade because he is so good against certain players that almost no one else can guard (see his performance against Teat, Jeff). But given his size he's also a very bad matchup for other players (see Spencer, Pat). Also since this would be his sixth year, I feel like it's less likely he comes back?
5. Varello - This is a tough call. Its hard to chose between Varello and Helmer for the last spot, and while its great to have a Swiss army knife like Helmer available, you simply cannot have enough good face-off guys. Am I crazy for dismissing Rhefuss and his team leading assists? Probably, but I don't think we are bringing in Hltz to sit on the bench.

Man, putting this together is rough, not only for the choices, but also for the fact that this was shaping up to be a really entertaining season, and so may of these guys are a joy to watch. Hoping we can see all these guys back next season!

I feel bad for "rating" players but I'll take your question a step further. I'll rank who I'd like to see back the most, and I'll limit it to five.

1. Porter - probably one of the best three goalies in the country, SU has lots of depth but no clear guy to take over. I think he's clearly the first choice.
2. Trimboli - surprised to say this given how deep the Orange are at midfield, but he was probably the best and most consistent midfielder Syracuse had last year. He was playing lights out before the season ended.
3. Dearth - coin flip here between Dearth and Mellen. Both are first team all American candidates but we saw the defense perform pretty admirably with Mellen out. I guess I still have the Colgate performance logged in my head. Having a really good short stick defensive midfielder just changes the entire defense.
4. Mellen - I can't beleive he's down here. Mellen is so tricky to grade because he is so good against certain players that almost no one else can guard (see his performance against Teat, Jeff). But given his size he's also a very bad matchup for other players (see Spencer, Pat). Also since this would be his sixth year, I feel like it's less likely he comes back?
5. Varello - This is a tough call. Its hard to chose between Varello and Helmer for the last spot, and while its great to have a Swiss army knife like Helmer available, you simply cannot have enough good face-off guys. Am I crazy for dismissing Rhefuss and his team leading assists? Probably, but I don't think we are bringing in Hltz to sit on the bench.

Man, putting this together is rough, not only for the choices, but also for the fact that this was shaping up to be a really entertaining season, and so may of these guys are a joy to watch. Hoping we can see all these guys back next season!
I'd love to see them all back, but I wonder about the effect on the next two or three recruiting classes. Could we see even more disappointing transfers than in the past couple of years? BTW, I watched Zawada play for Michigan. Reminds of a more mobile Wisnauskis. Sheesh.

All mentioned are excellent players who would contribute in 2021. Like to see all return but a couple probably wont. Fortunately there is depth at most positions that can step in if some decide to move on. Sad when considering the what ifs of 2020 but unusual times. . Good blessings to all. .

A quick coda to a promising season spoiled: Watched some games again. I was impressed with two team assets. First, the toughness that SU showed over the course of the game. One example: during the Hobart game, when Hobart was meeting SU goal for goal in the third quarter, with the ball in the center of the field or on the ride, middies and attacks went after Hobart like piranhas after roast beef. Every loose ball was an invitation to tear the ball away, knock the socks off the carrier and race to the offensive end. To generalize, this team was full of tough sobs who became more aggressive when things got difficult.

Second, the versatility of almost all the offensive players was inspiring. The middies could all play from x, dodge and score or pass very effectively across field. They could dodge from up top and score with either hand, cross from GLE and score in close. They could literally wear out good teams. It might take a couple quarters, but their conditioning and competence won for them...that is every game. This was a well conditioned, ferocious bunch, well coached on both ends of the field. Even more intense the disappointment.

Definitely gonna be a lot more of these announcements.
Agree. Coming back for a 6th year wasn't in the plans for most . Of the 5th yr seniors, think it is most likely Refhuss returns as I believe he is pursing a law degree.

Agree. Coming back for a 6th year wasn't in the plans for most . Of the 5th yr seniors, think it is most likely Refhuss returns as I believe he is pursing a law degree.

not sure how many, if any, 5th year guys return ..have heard through the grapevine that Rehfuss very likely may be done ..haven’t heard on Mellen but inside rumor last year was that he was not even sure about playing this year and wanted to enjoy his last year at Syracuse .As far as other seniors, message boards suggest Trimbo would kill to come back, Have heard nothing about Dearth or Porter ..but scholarship and money likely to play key role in decision

when dust settles, predicting maybe 10-20% seniors return in reality

Better increase the scholie limit for 1 year

But that could lead to portal mayhem with underclassmen expecting to start the next year burned.

Not easy situation.

LAX is a non-revenue sport. If I'm the NCAA, I point to the world pandemic wrecking havoc for a year, saying it sucks, but have eligibility expire with the season.

Would love to have Drake Porter back. And Mellen. And Dearth. But the cleanest way is to have the class of 2020 just succumb to getting bitten by a once-in-a-lifetime situation versus figuring out how to do fairly.

After how the NCAA handled Billy Edelin, I swore them off anything above which-Girl-Scout-cokkies-to-buy decisions.

not sure how many, if any, 5th year guys return ..have heard through the grapevine that Rehfuss very likely may be done ..haven’t heard on Mellen but inside rumor last year was that he was not even sure about playing this year and wanted to enjoy his last year at Syracuse .As far as other seniors, message boards suggest Trimbo would kill to come back, Have heard nothing about Dearth or Porter ..but scholarship and money likely to play key role in decision

Thanks for the info! Even if we just get Trimboli I will be happy. I feel good about next years team no matter what happens. Helmer Porter or Dearth would be cool lucky extras.

The NCAA messed this up. Almost everyone has had to sacrifice during this pandemic, and equity is pretty much out the window. Anyone eligible for a redshirt year, either medical or regular, should have been able to use this assuming they fit under the game restrictions. Otherwise, time to move on. Irregardless of what I just said about fairness, this also would have been most fair to the Ivys, since they don't do redshirts anyway and other schools would not be gaining an advantage that is not already available.

However, that horse is out of the barn. Now that Ament has said he's not returning, let's see how others react.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated! Honestly still trying to wrap my head around everything. I'm not sure what the right move for the NCAA is right now. It seems strange that they would come out so soon after the season ended and say they were going to give an extra year of eligibility, only to go back on their word now. But it is the NCAA after all so nothing would surprise me. I think if they had held off on making any announcements, they probably could have gotten away with saying this was out of their control and it's time to move on. At the very least I would be surprised if they allowed schools to provide more scholarship help.

Ament declaring fo the PLL was interesting for a lot of reasons, but he after all was going to enter his sixth year of college lax. That's a lot. Until we see guys make up their minds that would enter their fifth year, it's hard to draw any conclusions. IL interviewed two players from different schools recently, and both said they would come back if given the extra year.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated! Honestly still trying to wrap my head around everything. I'm not sure what the right move for the NCAA is right now. It seems strange that they would come out so soon after the season ended and say they were going to give an extra year of eligibility, only to go back on their word now. But it is the NCAA after all so nothing would surprise me. I think if they had held off on making any announcements, they probably could have gotten away with saying this was out of their control and it's time to move on. At the very least I would be surprised if they allowed schools to provide more scholarship help.

Ament declaring fo the PLL was interesting for a lot of reasons, but he after all was going to enter his sixth year of college lax. That's a lot. Until we see guys make up their minds that would enter their fifth year, it's hard to draw any conclusions. IL interviewed two players from different schools recently, and both said they would come back if given the extra year.

Would not suprise me if none of the seniors facing a 6th year return (Mellen, Helmer, Rehfuss)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom