You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another

The Division I Council on Monday voted to allow schools to provide spring-sport student-athletes an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility.

Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

The Council also will allow schools to self-apply a one-year extension of eligibility for spring-sport student-athletes, effectively extending each student’s five-year “clock” by a year. This decision was especially important for student-athletes who had reached the end of their five-year clock in 2020 and saw their seasons end abruptly.

Last edited:
SU Spends the most amount of money on lax in the country, this shouldn't be a problem. That said I doubt every senior come back but I would expect Trimboli and Porter at a minimum.
[/QUOTE
guessing Dearth and Varello as well and Refhuss a possibility

also guessing that there will be some transfers out

What does this mean for underclassmen? Do they have another year too? Is Brendan Curry a junior athletically next season if he so chooses?

What does this mean for underclassmen? Do they have another year too? Is Brendan Curry a junior athletically next season if he so chooses?
I think that last paragraph means yes. So basically it’s a redshirt year if the school wants to treat it that way.

Yes, essentially every player red-shirted last year in the eyes of the NCAA. I am sure some jrs who are now Srs academically this year may not stay for that 5th year but I bet a lot will if they can make it work financially. Phaup for example will now be a Jr next year and Varello can return if he wants for a 5th year.

Here’s a list of Syracuse athletes who have expressed interest in returning to SU next year with an extra year of eligibility:

Danny Varello, men’s lacrosse
After the NCAA’s announcement, Varello tweeted “THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.” Varello had also previously retweeted several reports of the NCAA potentially awarding spring athletes extra eligibility and on Sunday night, wrote he was “praying for good news.” Syracuse’s faceoff man finished second in the Atlantic Coast Conference — behind only teammate Jakob Phaup — in faceoff percentage in 2020.

Nick Mellen, men’s lacrosse
Mellen, one of the cornerstones of No. 1 Syracuse’s defense, expressed interest in returning on Monday night, tweeting in part: “See you soon.”

If a guy about to enter his sixth year of college (Mellen) and the teams’ backup FOGO (Varello) are willing to come back next year, I’d say there’s a pretty good chance that most seniors will want to return for another year. Have to imagine they have “unfinished business” on their minds. Should be really interesting considering SU has perhaps the biggest roster in college lacrosse.

If a guy about to enter his sixth year of college (Mellen) and the teams’ backup FOGO (Varello) are willing to come back next year, I’d say there’s a pretty good chance that most seniors will want to return for another year. Have to imagine they have “unfinished business” on their minds. Should be really interesting considering SU has perhaps the biggest roster in college lacrosse.

Agreed and this is mostly good news but sets up some tough choices for Desko. Hes got a tough balancing act in ensuring some of the younger guys dont get bummed out due to lack of PT and transfer. On one hand you want to win a national championship on the other you can't trade 1 year for 3 or 4 of a player the staff is high on. Desko will really have to thread the needle.

Agreed and this is mostly good news but sets up some tough choices for Desko. Hes got a tough balancing act in ensuring some of the younger guys dont get bummed out due to lack of PT and transfer. On one hand you want to win a national championship on the other you can't trade 1 year for 3 or 4 of a player the staff is high on. Desko will really have to thread the needle.
be careful what we wish for.

Present and Incoming look to be 67. Roster will be 60ish even if several dont return.

Present and Incoming look to be 67. Roster will be 60ish even if several dont return.

Everybody else has the same problem.

Either we all figure out a way to make it work, or High Point and Richmond will be loaded for a few years.

Now we get to see how committed SU is to lacrosse. Hopeful that they’ll pony up the money for kids who want another year.

The rosters will increase, but won't "go crazy" because not everyone will be invited back and some will choose not to return. The UVa staff was going to meet with each senior to talk about if and how they fit into the 2021 season.

what happens with the IVY Srs is the big question..

When they first suspended the season (IVY was the first to do so), I beleive they said they were going to apply for a waiver to get the extra year back. Not sure if they will change their minds. I beleive the Patriot League is the same as the IVY (I never realized this) in that they don't allow red-shirts, so they are an additional conference to watch.

This really helps schools with graduate programs, and really hurts the programs that don't. As you can see by the first wave of guys who entered the portal, they all came from smaller schools. So many factors at play, but I do wonder what schools will benefit from an influx of transfers. Schools like Hobart, Colgate, etc won't be able to offer classes to guys who may want to play there for an extra year. It might be that only schools in the Big 10/ACC/Big East are able to take advantage, but again, they'll have big rosters already with an extra freshmen class on the way. I guess it all depends on the players in question.

Take Griffin Brown for instance, very good player for Colgate - what would his market be? Not a superstar player, but he can certainly perform at a high level. Since every school theoretically gets all returning starters back, he'd be limited to the schools that would "lose" a guy who is a starter but decides he is done with school, for whatever reason. How many guys will that be? Hard to say - if you weren't on a very good team maybe you decide to move on. If you were though, and feel like there is unfinished business (and there are a lot of teams who last year could have said they had a shot at the trophy), I sense you might want to come back. Furthermore, even if a starter does move on, you have to hope the team doesn't have a player already on the roster that the coach has penciled in already. Maybe there are more coaches out there in need of a quick fix than I think. So in the end, you need a school that offers a masters program, they need to have an open spot, and the coach has to be willing to bring on a guy for one year only. Plus you are competing with a bunch of other players in the exact same situation.

A bunch of DIII players entered the portal as well, I have to imagine D-I will be their only option if they were on track to graduate. Maybe schools like Rutgers, Michigan and Big East, CAA teams that take advantage. I feel like the Ivy/ACC and top Big 10 teams won't really partake much in the transfer market, but I certainly could be wrong.

The real wild card of course is the underclassmen who thought they were going to compete for spots next year. For players at SU who redshirted this past year, have to imagine they won't want to redshirt again. Maybe they like SU so much they decide its worth staying, but a group will want to move on. Maybe the smaller schools like Colgate and Hobart refill their ranks with kids like this, but without graduate programs, I think they'd have to be okay with guys who are okay doing an undergrad degree in five years instead of four. I know kids do this, I just don't know how many. But again, they are put at a disadvantage. Again, it seems like though lower performing Big 10/Big East/CAA teams take advantage. The Patriot League could be a wild card.

More ramblings but I do feel bad for the incoming freshmen, they will most likely miss their senior year of high school and then have to sit on the bench for another year. Coaches will have to get creative to keep everyone happy. It might not be possible, but since they signed their NLI, they might be "stuck". The transfer market might just ramp up all over again next summer as well with disaffected kids who didn't like sitting on the bench.

Would be nice to have a sense of how much the 12.5 scholarship allotment was going to the senior class this year. The school might not have to fork over that much more money to the senior class, if they weren't getting that much to begin with. Impossible to know however without the numbers in front of us.

this isnt about just the SRs though.. you will have kids over the next few yrs all get that extra yr.. the Ivies dont let 5th yrs play so for the next 4 yrs the ivies will have SRs roll out with a yr left unless they change that rule.

So say SU has 10 SRs and they all stay and then bring in 10 Fr will they also be allowed to bring in 10 transfers if they want and suddenly they have 20 more kids than normal on the roster of which 20 are Srs?

you can only break out the scholies into so many pieces.. if the Ivies allow 5th yrs then all those kids that never looked at the IVIES as a 5th yr suddenly can go there too..

this is why the Ivy needs to get ahead of this or a whole bunch of SRs are gonna not finish the yr.

this is why the Ivy needs to get ahead of this or a whole bunch of SRs are gonna not finish the yr.

Probably too late at this point. Beleive somone on this board said the Yale team (not sure if it was just seniors), all withdrew when this first happened. Question is do the underclassmen withdraw as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom