You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains

Posted by me on 12/30
Someone mentioned Cooney, who was a favorite one to yell at until Joe Girard came along. However, Cooney made it up with this Senior season and Joe has been having a fantastic Junior season.

Coney SR Season
FG 150-431 .348
3PT 92- 260 .354
FT 87-108 .806
Reb-Asst-Stls-Pts 95 82 61 479
12.9 Pts/Game

Girard Soph Season
FG 92 - 259 .385
3PT 50 - 150 .333
FT 39-50 .780 ==> half of his Freshman year
RB-Asst-Stls - Pts 75 99 39 273
9.8 Pts/Game

Girard Jr. Season (projected by me)
FG 130 - 317 .408
3PT 82 - 197 .414
FT 60-69 .863 ==> still below his Freshman totals
RB-Asst-Stls - Pts 91 152 56 401 (in 32 games)
12.5 pts/game

To me Joe is a better shooter than Cooney, however, defensively, Cooney is miles ahead. He was quicker and we had a much larger percentage of fast break points with him up top. Yet, statistically, I expect Joe's Jr. Season to be almost identical to Cooneys Sr. campaing. Not to shabby IMHO. Yes, projection is difficult to do. One big item is Joe's and this entire team inability to draw fouls. If you recall in our Final 4 run we got other teams into serious foul trouble resulting in mismatches and were able to overcome large deficits (Virginia). This team would be more awesome if they could go to the line more. The mismatches created then would make us difficult to beat. Most teams have one guy that can guard Buddy. Very few have two talented defenders that are capable of handling him for 40 minutes.

Now back to Symir, that this thread is all about. He is an asset we have when there is full court press. However, his lack of a shooting stroke will need to be addressed in the offseason. He can work on it and get better. First year player, he can contribute.
By the way Girard's JR Season

FG 142 - 372 .392
3PT 89 - 221 .403
FT 82 - 93 .882 ==>matched his freshmen season
RB-Asst-Stls- Pts 92 138 53 455
13.8 pts/game

These are better stats than Cooneys Sr. season. Now, these are Stats. On defence, Cooney has a distinct edge.

Not what I was told. And if others wanted him to go elsewhere, they obviously didn't have too much influence.
Here is what i was told first hand.
Most of the family actually encouraged Joe to go out of state. Joe is a homebody. Gmac really made a great impression and he stayed home.
Joe going to SU was much more about Joe wanting to stay close to home vs loving SU.
Again maybe your info is better but i unless its Joe or his parents i would be surprised.

I wonder how much having a true PG and running a more well rounded offense with increased use of inside play will mitigate that.
A ton. A PG that can beat his man off the bounce creates all kinds of space.

I'm not running the kid down. Just that there is a difference between the guys that guarded him as a 1 and the guys that will guard him as a 2. there is a reason most 2 guards are not 6-1.

I always thought it was because if you were 6’1” or smaller you could handle the rock, so of course you wouldn’t play the 2.

I always thought it was because if you were 6’1” or smaller you could handle the rock, so of course you wouldn’t play the 2.
How many 6-1 2 guards are there in the P 5?

Most of the family actually encouraged Joe to go out of state. Joe is a homebody. Gmac really made a great impression and he stayed home.
Joe going to SU was much more about Joe wanting to stay close to home vs loving SU.
Again maybe your info is better but i unless its Joe or his parents i would be surprised.
What I am saying is that if others wanted him to go elsewhere, it is pretty obvious they didn't have much influence.

Obviously. What i was told was that the family wanted Joe to go away to school. To experience a new environment. Joe being a homebody wanted to stay close to home.
This wasnt an SU or BC or other school decision.

It was a stay home vs go away decision.

How many 6-1 2 guards are there in the P 5?

Of course that question can’t be easily answered. But NCAA.org lists the typical high D1 shooting guard at 6’3”. So obviously there are plenty that are both bigger and smaller.

And I think way too much is made out of an inch or two on the perimeter. If a guy can shoot and help handle the ball he can play the position. Given that we play zone, it’s not as though when we are playing someone with a bigger 2 they can iso down low and take advantage of the height difference.

Men’s basketball shooting guard recruiting guidelines​

Top D1 / Top JC

• Height: 6’3”+
  • Club Experience: Plays at the highest level in AAU, qualifying for national tournaments and elite events across the country. Ranks nationally on lists such as Rivals, Scout and ESPN Top 150. High profile player who is usually recruited through AAU as an underclassman.
  • High School Experience: Varsity starter all four years of high school. Earned several top accolades, such as All-State, All-Region and All-Area honors. Best player on the team.
Low D1 / Top D2 / Top NAIA

• Height: 6’2”+
  • Club Experience: Three to four years of AAU experience, playing on high level teams that compete nationally. Gets college coach exposure at club summer tournaments.
  • High School Experience: Three to four years as a varsity starter, earning awards such as All-Conference and All-Region. One of the top athletes on the team.

Obviously. What i was told was that the family wanted Joe to go away to school. To experience a new environment. Joe being a homebody wanted to stay close to home.
This wasnt an SU or BC or other school decision.

It was a stay home vs go away decision.

But that isn't news. Kids chose colleges after weighing a multitude of factors all the time. Joe apparently prioritized familiarity and access to home over experiencing a new place (FWIW, I am not sure how much any of the these kids experience other than the practice facility and campus - it's not like South Bend is Paris, NYC, or The Vatican).

Also, candidly, I think your info is bad. You can't throw a rock in Glens Falls without it hitting someone related to Joe. He had his choice of prep schools in HS too, which would have been better for him athletically and academically, yet he chose to hang around two a another couple of years. It may seem lazy, but he really is a close comp to Gerry, and I can see why playing for him was appealing.

Now, back to those two ladies ...

But that isn't news. Kids chose colleges after weighing a multitude of factors all the time. Joe apparently prioritized familiarity and access to home over experiencing a new place (FWIW, I am not sure how much any of the these kids experience other than the practice facility and campus - it's not like South Bend is Paris, NYC, or The Vatican).

Also, candidly, I think your info is bad. You can't throw a rock in Glens Falls without it hitting someone related to Joe. He had his choice of prep schools in HS too, which would have been better for him athletically and academically, yet he chose to hang around two a another couple of years. It may seem lazy, but he really is a close comp to Gerry, and I can see why playing for him was appealing.

Ummm. That's what he said. It may not be shocking but it's info from people close to Joe.

Now I know why people with info don't bother.

My info is bad? Im the one that had dinner with them.
The info is what it is.

Although he has put together some impressive stats over his 3 years….it certainly hasn’t been easy on him for numerous reasons….. 1.) he’s been forced into a position that doesn’t exactly suit him and he knows it 2.) he reads and senses everything, he knows the majority of the fan base was upset that KR left and many blamed Joe (even though it wasn’t his fault) 3.) he figured he would get a little more than roughly 60-90 seconds a game at his natural position playing the 2G (Buddy typically would sit right before the 8 minute media TO, and then come right back in after the first whistle) 4.) I’m sure there is more 5.) I’m certain there is more

I live 15 minutes away from Glens Falls, and a LOT of basketball minds wanted him to choose Notre Dame, thinking their style was better suited for his game. And as a 2nd choice, BC. They were all in agreement that the SU zone wasn’t an ideal fit.
Everyone's better off with Torrence getting 30 min a game. Joe gets 20 at SG 10 at PG, Buddy gets 20 at SG and 10 at SF. Boeheim is too preoccupied with maximizing minutes for who he thinks are his best guys

Says a lot, and don't like hearing it.
Maybe GMac did a great recruiting job-
Yet when a player chooses SU with their #1 reason "stay close to home" vs any or all of Dome/fans/visibility, coaches, program/history, facilities, style of play, teammates, NBA pipeline, etc that is not a great endorsement of the SU program, coaches or recruiting.

My info is bad? Im the one that had dinner with them.
The info is what it is.

Sorry. I understand you are relaying what you heard and appreciate your sharing.

Last edited:
Exactly. Joes 3 point pct will drop to around 35-36pct next year…maybe lower. He will face tougher shots and he will be expected by his coach to take them.
Gerry all over again

He's proof that context and types of shots matters just as much as shooting ability.

FT% tells you who the best shooters are. 3P% is a combination of FT% and shot quality

my green light threshold would normally be about 36%. of course i used elvir as an extreme example .
on the other hand at 6'11" who was gonna block it ? ( he avg'd 13 minutes a game 1 3pta and 1 block.)
anyone who tried to block one of his shots would be in the transfer portal during the next tv timeout

Gerry all over again

He's proof that context and types of shots matters just as much as shooting ability.

FT% tells you who the best shooters are. 3P% is a combination of FT% and shot quality

3P% can also be related to how much defenses pay attention to you. We've seen numerous examples of complimentary players who benefit from clean looks earlier in their careers, who struggle more when they become the focal point of what defenses want to take away later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom