You Suck (for some) | Syracusefan.com

You Suck (for some)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicknack

All Conference
This is to only those jacka$$es who are flooding the board right now with constant crap. I'm tired of reading this trash which is why I post.

I just don't get the melt down here. I really don't. Tonight I saw a team that I was proud of. A team that was in position to win a game that very few win on Pitt's home court. We showed grit, determination and many other essentials that I believe will help up moving forward.

The way I see it... we need 10 wins in conference play. This game will only help us moving forward, just watch.

Oh yeah.. for that comment someone made about Hop high-fiving a "guy" on the end of the bench - that moment stood out to me as well but for different reasons. I loved it.

This is to only those jacka$$es who are flooding the board right now with constant crap. I'm tired of reading this trash which is why I post.

I just don't get the melt down here. I really don't. Tonight I saw a team that I was proud of. A team that was in position to win a game that very few win on Pitt's home court. We showed grit, determination and many other essentials that I believe will help up moving forward.

The way I see it... we need 10 wins in conference play. This game will only help us moving forward, just watch.

Oh yeah.. for that comment someone made about Hop high-fiving a "guy" on the end of the bench - that moment stood out to me as well but for different reasons. I loved it.

We weren't playing Michigan St or Duke tonight, we were playing a very beatable Pitt team. When you have an 8 point lead in the 2nd half, and can't hang on, people are going to be upset. I wouldn't call it a meltdown, I have seen much worse, but tonight was a tough loss.

We weren't playing Michigan St or Duke tonight, we were playing a very beatable Pitt team. When you have an 8 point lead in the 2nd half, and can't hang on, people are going to be upset. I wouldn't call it a meltdown, I have seen much worse, but tonight was a tough loss.

Pitt has had our number for the past several years and also has had just about everyone's number at home. They are a very tough team at home and this year, will likely be a solid team in the ACC. If you believe that the reaction on this board is sane (after losing tonight), cheers to ya. I believe that most here are over reacting BIG time. This is the team that we have... enjoy the ride or enjoy the misery if you so desire. I for one am buckled up and ready for the ride.

Pitt has had our number for the past several years and also has had just about everyone's number at home. They are a very tough team at home and this year, will likely be a solid team in the ACC. If you believe that the reaction on this board is sane (after losing tonight), cheers to ya. I believe that most here are over reacting BIG time. This is the team that we have... enjoy the ride or enjoy the misery if you so desire. I for one am buckled up and am ready for the ride.

They have had our number, but this isn't a great Pitt team, they aren't that much better than we are . We had an 8 point lead in the 2nd half, good teams find ways to pull those games out. Maybe some posters have gone a little overboard, but the last time I checked, a sports forum is a place to vent.

They have had our number, but this isn't a great Pitt team, they aren't that much better than we are . We had an 8 point lead in the 2nd half, good teams find ways to pull those games out. Maybe some posters have gone a little overboard, but the last time I checked, a sports forum is a place to vent.

A forum is a place to vent?? Oh, well, forget everything I just said. Carry on then...

Dude, they wont win 5 more games if they continue to rebound like this. It really doesn't matter how well they play otherwise, there's no team on earth than can overcome this type of rebounding deficit. Any decent team we face is going to have a chance at equaling our total rebounding numbers with their offensive rebounding numbers. That is horrific and until its fixed, theres it really doesn't matter what improvements are otherwise made.

Come on, you've been around this place long enough to know what to expect after a loss. It's showtime for some of the board's great minds and an opportunity for some new faces to make their mark. And just imagine the stuff that's being deleted before you even see it.

HAHA -- considering some of the "meltdowns" I've seen on here previously, tonight is basically a kumbaya session in comparison.

I'm kind of with the OP on this. Don't say we have no chance before the game, then we lose, and then say after we have no chance to make the tourney. You didn't expect to win anyway, but because we had the lead for a while now Pitt sucks?

Thank you!
SUball

This was no meltdown. Its been way worse.

Pitt blows and we should have won that game. Our team is seriously flawed and cant defend on the interior and we will continue to get exposed all season. Rebounding is a joke.

When Diagne was ruled ineligible that crushed this team in more ways than one. DC is never going to be the answer and I dont see how we will get to double digits in conference play.

Dude, they wont win 5 more games if they continue to rebound like this. It really doesn't matter how well they play otherwise, there's no team on earth than can overcome this type of rebounding deficit. Any decent team we face is going to have a chance at equaling our total rebounding numbers with their offensive rebounding numbers. That is horrific and until its fixed, theres it really doesn't matter what improvements are otherwise made.

THIS is the thing that depresses me the most - it's a fundamentally flawed team.

To overcome our rebounding issues, we have to be so good in every other area to even be competitive (like we were for most of the Pitt game). If we're getting out rebounded by 15 - 20, which has happened against every legit team we've played, our FG% needs to be about 10% higher than our opponent and we need to create twice as many turnovers as them. That's asking a lot, with very little margin for error, just to be competitive.

Offensive rebounds are one of the most valuable plays in basketball, and we're handing them out like candy.

Why bother to have a forum if there cannot be intelligent discussion about our players and our strategies. I have not seen any recent threads where the commentary was unreasonable or Igorish.

I don't understand these threads.

This place is very rational compared to what I've seen on other forums of other college teams.

We've been subjected to a garbage football program for a decade and now basketball, coming off a down year, is on pace for another down year, in a sport that we are a borderline blue blood.

Maybe we should just channel our inner "good effort" Heat fan and leave any discussion/frustration out of it.

Hooray NIT!!! I'm sure G and Cooney are super excited at the prospects of finishing their careers like that.

Then you aren't perusing many threads.
Or catching them before
477px-Castle_Romeo.jpg

Everybody should know we don't beat Pitt no matter what. How many times have we seen this same game over and over. Everybody knew this team was even more susceptible to all things that cause us to lose to them than most of our teams. For that reason this game is a total throwaway. It doesn't indicate anything about anything. Just move on.

As I can recall from the prediction thread, most posters predicted that Pitt was going to win this game for various reasons, particularly offensive rebounding. So as you express your anger about the outcome, players, and coaching staff, think about how different your prediction was from the outcome and what could have been different.

yes the team played with tons of heart. Best the d has been all year. Great effort. Absolutely an effort to be proud of. And they still couldn't even cover a 9 point spread (let alone win) against an untanked team. That's the point of any meltdowns. This team is not playing much better than they did last night. They just aren't...and it was not good enough. That was my realization last night. You can't teach size. They are soft as butter inside. Nothing's changing that . This is an NIT team. Sadly. If you love college ball and consider it melt down worthy that your team simply dosent have it to be any more than a bubble team then go ahead and melt down. Stop policing everyone and telling them what to do. I mean what are the goals here? Tonight's effort will help the team in the long run and we need 10 wins yadda yadda. But for what? 10 wins to become a bubble team who might make it to Dayton for the first 4? Is that what it's come to? The realization of this is pretty sad. And if you consider it melt down worthy then go ahead and melt down. Happy new year

Also...when a team literally gets less defensive rebounds than the opponent got offensive rebounds...and we are praising the teams the teams grit, effort, and determination the next day...we have officially entered a place generally occupied by mid majors. It's kind of sad.

Why bother to have a forum if there cannot be intelligent discussion about our players and our strategies. I have not seen any recent threads where the commentary was unreasonable or Igorish.
What about the ones condemning Hop and saying he's not the guy for us because (a) he didn't call a timeout sooner, (b) didn't manage the substitutions well, (c) didn't win, etc. ad rectum?

I've got no problem with people expressing their frustration, but there's plenty here that go too far. As a younger fellow, I used to live and die with every basket, steal, turnover, missed shot, and on and on. You should have seen me after 1987 in N.O., the Sparty threefest in 2000, and the losses to UVM and aTm. I get the concept of excited fans. But we've got our share of spoiled/overreacting folks, and I reserve the right to react to them. Think of us as caring so much for our fellow posters (at least some of them) that we're urging them to chill, enjoy life more, lighten the , and move on with life and the rest of the season. I'll stop now before I go into a reverie about the olden days on this board.

Best of all are the people who criticize the critics' criticizers for criticizing. Utterly metacular.

Let's focus on one point: what's the big surprise?

Who seriously thought before the season started that we would be a strong team?
Certainly not offensively.
We've got a 2/3 who's "forced" to play the point, another 5th year guard who has been spotty at best and a vastly inexperienced, thin and sometimes undersized frontcourt.
On top of that we've got a head coach banned from the bench for a while.

This game - like Wisconsin - is one we had no business being in if you just look at rebounding.
We'll get killed all year on the glass.
But if we make free throws, chippies & 3's, and limit our turnovers then we have a shot against good teams.
The free throws REALLY matter for this team.

What makes the Pitt game frustrating is that we blew a lead and they absolutely battered us down the stretch.
What was it...a closing 14-2 run?

Against Wisconsin it was going 1-5 from the line.

Against St. John's it was a complete debacle: horrific shooting, foul shooting and not much intensity.

Boeheim said it early on: if we don't hit 3's and shoot well we can't beat anyone.
He was right.

We play like a .500 team.
And although we hope for better, no one should be very surprised.

This was no meltdown. Its been way worse.

Pitt blows and we should have won that game. Our team is seriously flawed and cant defend on the interior and we will continue to get exposed all season. Rebounding is a joke.

When Diagne was ruled ineligible that crushed this team in more ways than one. DC is never going to be the answer and I dont see how we will get to double digits in conference play.
Marsh is absolutely dead on, in case anyone is wondering. 100% agree with everything, other than maybe the Coleman stuff. I still think he could be ok...but don't see him staying out of foul trouble or getting enough of a leash for that to happen.

What about the ones condemning Hop and saying he's not the guy for us because (a) he didn't call a timeout sooner, (b) didn't manage the substitutions well, (c) didn't win, etc. ad rectum?

I've got no problem with people expressing their frustration, but there's plenty here that go too far. As a younger fellow, I used to live and die with every basket, steal, turnover, missed shot, and on and on. You should have seen me after 1987 in N.O., the Sparty threefest in 2000, and the losses to UVM and aTm. I get the concept of excited fans. But we've got our share of spoiled/overreacting folks, and I reserve the right to react to them. Think of us as caring so much for our fellow posters (at least some of them) that we're urging them to chill, enjoy life more, lighten the , and move on with life and the rest of the season. I'll stop now before I go into a reverie about the olden days on this board.

Best of all are the people who criticize the critics' criticizers for criticizing. Utterly metacular.
Personally, I am a big Hop supporter, but there is no question I want to see the program evolve under him and not have him just be a straightline continuation of what Jimmy does.

Specifically, criticism over the missed timeout at this stage of Hop's career as a coach is nitpicking. No question, he will learn game management with time in the saddle.

The areas where Hop needs to evolve as compared to the way Jimmy coaches in my mind are at least twofold:

1. I am tired of ultra-short benches & kids playing the end of games with no legs and their tongues hanging out. I understand there is a big drop-off if G or Cooney comes out of the game, but it is not worth keeping them in for 40 if they can't get it done at the end. We are capable of recruiting good players, why when the season starts to we only seem to have five or six of them every season when other programs manage to get seven to ten. That is not on the talent, that is on the staff's utilization of the talent. This season, Frank seems to be showing he can be a cog even though he is not yet ready for prime time, so why can't G or Cooney get a blow ? I am far from convinced that Obokoh is a totally lost cause who shouldn't see the time of day on the court as many here seem to think. To me, he had a big game three games ago. We then had another cupcake on tap, it was inexcusable that the kid didn't get off the bench to see if he could build upon his prior game.

2. I am also tired of 100% reliance on the Zone. I understand Zone is a tradition at the Cuse, and perhaps with the right personnel it should continue to be our primary D. That being said, this season we do not have the right personnel to play the Zone exclusively. Furthermore, the college game is changing. Every halfway decent team now has multiple three point shooters that can stretch the Zone. Most of those teams also have one or two decent inside players who can punish us. Next year, we should have the right talent to play Zone with a big defensively oriented center coming in and three big forwards. If the Zone can't cut it next season it will be time to move on and keep up with the evolution of the game. I want Hop to have the flexability of mindset to make those changes should they be advantageous. I just can't live with us getting trampled off the glass game after game because the Zone is over-extended. Something has to give. Hopefully, most can be corrected with the right personnel, but we will not have the right personnel every season and we need adjust when necessary.

I love Hop's recruiting talents, and I understand this isn't really his team quite yet. I also believe he will coach in a style where kids will never quit on him. I am totally giving him the benefit of the doubt, but in the end he has to build upon Jimmy's foundation and not try to be a Jimmy clone when his time comes.

Personally, I am a big Hop supporter, but there is no question I want to see the program evolve under him and not have him just be a straightline continuation of what Jimmy does.

Specifically, criticism over the missed timeout at this stage of Hop's career as a coach is nitpicking. No question, he will learn game management with time in the saddle.

The areas where Hop needs to evolve as compared to the way Jimmy coaches in my mind are at least twofold:

1. I am tired of ultra-short benches & kids playing the end of games with no legs and their tongues hanging out. I understand there is a big drop-off if G or Cooney comes out of the game, but it is not worth keeping them in for 40 if they can't get it done at the end. We are capable of recruiting good players, why when the season starts to we only seem to have five or six of them every season when other programs manage to get seven to ten. That is not on the talent, that is on the staff's utilization of the talent. This season, Frank seems to be showing he can be a cog even though he is not yet ready for prime time, so why can't G or Cooney get a blow ? I am far from convinced that Obokoh is a totally lost cause who shouldn't see the time of day on the court as many here seem to think. To me, he had a big game three games ago. We then had another cupcake on tap, it was inexcusable that the kid didn't get off the bench to see if he could build upon his prior game.

2. I am also tired of 100% reliance on the Zone. I understand Zone is a tradition at the Cuse, and perhaps with the right personnel it should continue to be our primary D. That being said, this season we do not have the right personnel to play the Zone exclusively. Furthermore, the college game is changing. Every halfway decent team now has multiple three point shooters that can stretch the Zone. Most of those teams also have one or two decent inside players who can punish us. Next year, we should have the right talent to play Zone with a big defensively oriented center coming in and three big forwards. If the Zone can't cut it next season it will be time to move on and keep up with the evolution of the game. I want Hop to have the flexability of mindset to make those changes should they be advantageous. I just can't live with us getting trampled off the glass game after game because the Zone is over-extended. Something has to give. Hopefully, most can be corrected with the right personnel, but we will not have the right personnel every season and we need adjust when necessary.

I love Hop's recruiting talents, and I understand this isn't really his team quite yet. I also believe he will coach in a style where kids will never quit on him. I am totally giving him the benefit of the doubt, but in the end he has to build upon Jimmy's foundation and not try to be a Jimmy clone when his time comes.

Great post. Afraid your advice will fall on deaf ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom