Your earliest Jim Boeheim recollections | Syracusefan.com

Your earliest Jim Boeheim recollections

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
jimboeheim121712.jpg

I'll start it with Jim Boeheim the player.

boeheim_player.jpg

First thought's as a player, "Who is that skinny kid with the glasses?" As his career progressed I grew to love his steady game, he was the perfect sidekick to Dave Bing. He was a very good passer, good free throw shooter and could knock down the outside shot to keep the defenses honest. Did you know that JB averaged 14 ppg his senior season on 56% shooting?

davebing.jpg

Meanwhile Bing was averaging 28 ppg on 54% shooting while pulling down 10 rebounds a game. If they had rating services for backcourts back then I wonder where they would have been ranked?

220px-John_Wooden.JPG

First thought's as an assistant coach, "I wonder if he could be our version of John Wooden? He looks like the studious type."

Later he became known as the professor by those in the media. Funny you don't hear that too often anymore.

Tom+McMillen+2-16-70.JPG

I remember back in the 70's Maryland was the model we were trying to copy. Their best player back then was a Rhodes scholar, Tom McMillen (71-74), a southpaw center who for his career averaged 20 Pts & nearly 10 rebounds a game. He was a three time All American.

John Lucas (72-76) was in that era, a three time AA as well and a #1 pick in the draft.

Mo Howard was his backcourt mate, he led Maryland in FG% twice.

Len Elmore (71-74) was a 1st team AA at power forward. Did you know that Lenny is the Terp's all-time leading rebounder & averaged 14 boards per contest?

The 71-74 team had a 73-17 record. It's no wonder that they averaged 90 ppg in 1975 with talent like that.

I bet if you asked JB he'd say Maryland was the program he tried to emulate when he took over as head coach.

I was really young when I reached fanhood, so my oldest memory of Boeheim went something like this:

20120308-123818.jpg

JB's first year as HC was my first year at SU. Louie and Bouie's freshman year. I feel as if I've been along on a great ride.

The jackets he wore will always be with me (sadly).

Pretty funny that Maryland was always trying to beat unc and duke. We will have our opportunity starting next season. I remember when danfort left for bigger and better things and then jb got hired and then the big east began. It's been very enjoyable.

Although I guess I remember that he was the coach before this, my first real recollection of JB is getting T'd up in the 1st BET championship game in losing to G'Town in Providence, and maybe failing to call a TO in a critical situation in the game. (Anyone recall?) I remember my Dad going on and on about him being "outcoached" by Thompson. Then, as the Hoyas proceeded to beat us for like the next 4 games after that, my Dad's annoying refrain of "outcoached again". Of course from then on, I defended JB at all costs - and I'm grateful to say he proved me right!

Bumped into him at my (and his daughter's) pre-school when I was 3 or 4. Took it upon myself to say hello but badly mangled the pronunciation of his last name. He grinned broadly and said "Close enough."

Freshman year, 1994. I'd come to SU to study in Newhouse; didn't know a thing about college basketball. Anyway, it's the weekend, and I'm in the Carousel Mall. I go into the record store to browse. I pick up a CD single of "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex. And I conveniently slip into my pocket.

I dart out of the store, and my path is blocked by a security guard, who had been watching my every move. He tells me I am going to go to jail for this. And out of the corner I see Coach Boeheim. He calmly says to the security guard. "Let the kid go." So he does.

I've been a big fan ever since.

Freshman year, 1994. I'd come to SU to study in Newhouse; didn't know a thing about college basketball. Anyway, it's the weekend, and I'm in the Carousel Mall. I go into the record store to browse. I pick up a CD single of "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex. And I conveniently slip into my pocket.

I dart out of the store, and my path is blocked by a security guard, who had been watching my every move. He tells me I am going to go to jail for this. And out of the corner I see Coach Boeheim. He calmly says to the security guard. "Let the kid go." So he does.

Shouldn't you have gone to jail just for choosing that single?

I might be the only one here that was at his first win and his first loss. My jr year. The games were in springfield, I lived next door, during the thanksgiving break. I always defended him when people would attack. There were two people who I don't know all that well who told me that syracuse would never win a championship with jb as coach. I called both those guys, one in reno, the very next day after winning the N.C.

That just sounds like a misunderstanding, happens all the time.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Who's the big dork coaching syracuse?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Well now we know why MCW played on Saturday.

But where was he when Marsh relieved himself on some UConn building?

We've always said he is nothing if not consistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom