You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office...

and asks you for a chance (3-5 years) to build this back up and then off to retirement he goes.

Do you give it to him?
I'd tell him, Jim, the job is yours until you no longer feel you can do the job. I want you coaching this team now and into the future, you have a great recruiting class coming in and you know what your doing. The people that want you gone are the same people that wanted Pasqualoni to be fired and that didn't work so well.

I think a more interesting question is if Jim asked for one more year, what would you say/do as AD? As much as I want to start new next year, out of the immense respect that I have for Boeheim, I'd say yes (but no more than one more year). Whether he wants to announce it and have a farewell tour or just keep it private and announce in April, would be up to him.

The narrative that we won't get a good head coach if Jim stays in the area is ridiculous. I think the key is getting an established coach to prevent meddling. An established head coach (i.e. Pitino) wouldn't allow Jim to meddle. I think the danger is having one of our existing assistant coaches take over. Then, I could see Jim getting involved.

With all due respect... I'm never going to understand this.

The man has a job. It's a career. It's work.

In any industry, a person has to perform, or they get put aside in favor of someone else who can perform. Because the program is more important than the individual. This isn't the Supreme Court—there are no lifetime appointments. He's a basketball coach. All this nonsense about how he built the program and it belongs to him and it's his to do with as he sees fit... insanity. He works for the University. He wasn't some entrepreneur who created a business and can therefore burn it to the ground with impunity. He works for the school. And the school has a responsibility to do what's best for the school and all who support the school. JAB, at this point, is not that.

Far too much sentimentality being expressed here. He is owed a paycheck, for the work he does, and affection/reverence/respect from fans as the individual fan sees fit. He's not owed another year. The "another year" was this one. And the last one. And the one before that. All of the years since he was supposed to have retired the last time—those were all gifts. Having his two-star son play 35 minutes—that's another gift. One more year? What's going to change?

Even suggesting that it be a year-to-year decision, based on the results of the most recent season... that's just more limbo. This program doesn't need more limbo. It needs a clear path.

Hallelujah!

Last edited:
*Boeheim enters*

*AD is laying on his office couch*

AubXfJlCEAAiymq.jpg

The people that want you gone are the same people that wanted Pasqualoni to be fired and that didn't work so well.
Please don't regurgitate this. Pasqualoni's decline was multi-faceted - much of it was not his doing. And to imply his departure was a mistake ignores all the bad decisions that came after it.

It's a delicate situation so I would want to handle it real classy.

I'd ask him to go out for dinner. Somewhere nice. Maybe Applebees.

I'd order for him. Show him who is in charge. I would go all out though, splurge a bit. I'd do the 2 for $22. Order up some chimichangas, maybe get an app - onion rings, extra sauce.

Then, after we got a little bit of a buzz, finished our food, we'd retire to comfier confines - Paradise Found. We could have some cocktails, enjoy some dancing - and then, I'd let him walk.

He'd have the best night of his life, and he leaves on a high note. Everyone wins.
This is absolutely hilarious!!

With all due respect... I'm never going to understand this.

The man has a job. It's a career. It's work.

In any industry, a person has to perform, or they get put aside in favor of someone else who can perform. Because the program is more important than the individual. This isn't the Supreme Court—there are no lifetime appointments. He's a basketball coach. All this nonsense about how he built the program and it belongs to him and it's his to do with as he sees fit... insanity. He works for the University. He wasn't some entrepreneur who created a business and can therefore burn it to the ground with impunity. He works for the school. And the school has a responsibility to do what's best for the school and all who support the school. JAB, at this point, is not that.

Far too much sentimentality being expressed here. He is owed a paycheck, for the work he does, and affection/reverence/respect from fans as the individual fan sees fit. He's not owed another year. The "another year" was this one. And the last one. And the one before that. All of the years since he was supposed to have retired the last time—those were all gifts. Having his two-star son play 35 minutes—that's another gift. One more year? What's going to change?

Even suggesting that it be a year-to-year decision, based on the results of the most recent season... that's just more limbo. This program doesn't need more limbo. It needs a clear path.
Spot on, Marilyn.

Please don't regurgitate this. Pasqualoni's decline was multi-faceted - much of it was not his doing. And to imply his departure was a mistake ignores all the bad decisions that came after it.
It's the same issue, many fans wanted Coach P gone just as many fans want Coach B gone. WE had a great football coach and we pushed him out the door, we have a great basketball coach and I don't want SU to make the same mistake again. Coach will know when it's time to leave.

It's the same issue, many fans wanted Coach P gone just as many fans want Coach B gone. WE had a great football coach and we pushed him out the door, we have a great basketball coach and I don't want SU to make the same mistake again. Coach will know when it's time to leave.
The reasons for the decline are not comparable. At all.

Neither P nor JB were great at the end and soon to be end of their careers.

Tough call. College basketball is a business now more than ever. And keeping with that analogy, for everyone hoping we end up with a new hire like Bob Igor, we could very easily get a Michael Eisner.

Doesn't matter how renown your brand is (see Disney during Eisner years), leadership is key.

Neither P nor JB were great at the end and soon to be end of their careers.
You need to let JAB coach at least another year because that was promised to the recruits coming in.

After reading some of the articles about why they chose Syracuse, one or two said coach Boeheim wasn’t the hollering monster you see on TV he’s actually a gentleman who knows a hell of a lot about coaching basketball. He just doesn’t have the players he used to and I’m going to change that.

So, some recruits actually believe Boeheim is a great basketball coach and want to be coached by him. Imagine that.

Tough call. College basketball is a business now more than ever. And keeping with that analogy, for everyone hoping we end up with a new hire like Bob Igor, we could very easily get a Michael Eisner.

Doesn't matter how renown your brand is (see Disney during Eisner years), leadership is key.

Great line on Colbert last night Disney is opening a new amusement park in Paris.

"It will be just like Disneyland, only more existential."

You need to let JAB coach at least another year because that was promised to the recruits coming in.

After reading some of the articles about why they chose Syracuse, one or two said coach Boeheim wasn’t the hollering monster you see on TV he’s actually a gentleman who knows a hell of a lot about coaching basketball. He just doesn’t have the players he used to and I’m going to change that.

So, some recruits actually believe Boeheim is a great basketball coach and want to be coached by him. Imagine that.
Yeah, but the good ones we truly coveted might have thought that was the reason to not come here.

Yeah, but the good ones we truly coveted might have thought that was the reason to not come here.
? What was the reason in your mind that the ones we truly coveted might have thought -

I'd tell him, Jim, the job is yours until you no longer feel you can do the job. I want you coaching this team now and into the future, you have a great recruiting class coming in and you know what your doing. The people that want you gone are the same people that wanted Pasqualoni to be fired and that didn't work so well.

Please tell me you're not John Widlhack.

The late Coach P era and the late Jim Boeheim era are contextually identical. All the aggravating and mitigating factors are exactly the same. Totally valid to compare the two, and I question your fandom if you disagree. How many games have you won?

They’re 17.
They haven’t been there yet.
They say the right things in interviews.
Imagine that!

Here‘s the other thing, about JAB’s judgment of late, and how other recruiters can easily work against us:

Take, for example, JBA. Look at his high school tape. He is/was a rangy, athletic, bouncy perimeter player. Seems to have nice form on his jumper. So, what did we do? On the heels of making the splendid splinter Marek Dolemite into a center, that’s what we did with JBA. Because Marek worked out so well there, I guess. JBA, who was a bench reserve 3 on his high school team was going to come to a power conference and be converted to a center… by an alum who had only ever been a guard.

Quincy G comes in and wants/expects to play some perimeter stuff. Probably, most realistically saw himself as an NBA 3. But with us, he’s a 4. Marek should have been a 3...

Then, add that we play only a zone.

So, why would you go to Syracuse as a high school recruit with options? You’re going to be cast out of your natural position, be coached by a player who only understands your position in theory, learn a defense that doesn’t make you nba-ready, and get zero minutes because the coach’s progeny and pet are going to play 40 regardless of performance/productivity/commitment.
Add to that the fact that he had already committed to retire once, is now 77, and there will be constant banter about when is his next ‘last season.’

Why?

All of that leads to us getting kids in the bottom half of the top 100, and beyond, and then expecting them to coalesce into something that gets us out of the middle of the ACC. I now hear Jerry Seinfeld and Kramer’s horrible Cockney accents: “Not bloody likely!”

Bigtime survivorship bias going on here.

With the announcement by Buddy, I'm guessing that there was a harsh reaction to the Jimmy 6th year petition announcement that Wildhack said something to Boeheim. I think this is it. I'll be surprised if Jim is here coaching without both his sons. But if that happens, he's on a 1 year deal, he has to win 20, finish in the top 6 in the ACC and get into the NCAA tourney as a single digit seed.
I know JB is a legend. But I do wonder if there’s more dialogue between the coach and the AD than people may realize. When Chris Mack was booted from Louisville, he mentioned how he and the interim AD talk all the time and had been in dialogue about the issues going on there. I know SU’s situation is different and JB is a legend, but there’s no way Wildhack is completely hands off.

I know JB is a legend. But I do wonder if there’s more dialogue between the coach and the AD than people may realize. When Chris Mack was booted from Louisville, he mentioned how he and the interim AD talk all the time and had been in dialogue about the issues going on there. I know SU’s situation is different and JB is a legend, but there’s no way Wildhack is completely hands off.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom