You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office...

and asks you for a chance (3-5 years) to build this back up and then off to retirement he goes.

Do you give it to him?
Yes. Who knows what the future holds, but absolutely and without question, yes. This coach goes out on his own terms.

Yes. Who knows what the future holds, but absolutely and without question, yes. This coach goes out on his own terms.

We're pretty awful now. You're willing to wait for irrelevance, like we went through for so many years with football? You won't be satisfied until we're the butt of jokes by the national media?

With all due respect... I'm never going to understand this.

The man has a job. It's a career. It's work.

In any industry, a person has to perform, or they get put aside in favor of someone else who can perform. Because the program is more important than the individual. This isn't the Supreme Court—there are no lifetime appointments. He's a basketball coach. All this nonsense about how he built the program and it belongs to him and it's his to do with as he sees fit... insanity. He works for the University. He wasn't some entrepreneur who created a business and can therefore burn it to the ground with impunity. He works for the school. And the school has a responsibility to do what's best for the school and all who support the school. JAB, at this point, is not that.

Far too much sentimentality being expressed here. He is owed a paycheck, for the work he does, and affection/reverence/respect from fans as the individual fan sees fit. He's not owed another year. The "another year" was this one. And the last one. And the one before that. All of the years since he was supposed to have retired the last time—those were all gifts. Having his two-star son play 35 minutes—that's another gift. One more year? What's going to change?

Even suggesting that it be a year-to-year decision, based on the results of the most recent season... that's just more limbo. This program doesn't need more limbo. It needs a clear path.

In any industry, a person has to perform, or they get put aside in favor of someone else who can perform. Because the program is more important than the individual. This isn't the Supreme Court—there are no lifetime appointments. He's a basketball coach. All this nonsense about how he built the program and it belongs to him and it's his to do with as he sees fit... insanity. He works for the University. He wasn't some entrepreneur who created a business and can therefore burn it to the ground with impunity. He works for the school. And the school has a responsibility to do what's best for the school and all who support the school. JAB, at this point, is not that.

Far too much sentimentality being expressed here. He is owed a paycheck, for the work he does, and affection/reverence/respect from fans as the individual fan sees fit. He's not owed another year. The "another year" was this one. And the last one. And the one before that. All of the years since he was supposed to have retired the last time—those were all gifts. Having his two-star son play 35 minutes—that's another gift. One more year? What's going to change?

Even suggesting that it be a year-to-year decision, based on the results of the most recent season... that's just more limbo. This program doesn't need more limbo. It needs a clear path.

With the announcement by Buddy, I'm guessing that there was a harsh reaction to the Jimmy 6th year petition announcement that Wildhack said something to Boeheim. I think this is it. I'll be surprised if Jim is here coaching without both his sons. But if that happens, he's on a 1 year deal, he has to win 20, finish in the top 6 in the ACC and get into the NCAA tourney as a single digit seed.

Any advice?
Don’t get married or have kids until 40+. Enjoy your life and do everything you love. If you’re happy being alone keep going. Obviously I’m not the norm, but this is what I’ve rolled with outside of my ex who was just really and on and off thing. Think Derek Jeter but instead of 9 and 10s but with solid 6s to 8s (with the occasional white whale)

and asks you for a chance (3-5 years) to build this back up and then off to retirement he goes.

Do you give it to him?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!! First off 83 years old, coaching with as dang walker! IMO alot of his flaws have been exposed this season and the biggest reason is his refusal to adapt, change a minute detail of what he does so imo, just be more of the same!

We also need some energy on the sidelines. There is no more juice. Red just isn't that guy. Obviously it's a lot more than just that to be a good coach. I mean look at the drop off after Hop. Hop might be struggling at UW but as an assistant and recruiter he was a game changer. He helped manage the rosters, connect with the kids and attract top talent.

You can point to JB getting older playing a role but the cliff we fell off of isn't just one man. We don't have the quality of assistant coaches right now that pair well with JB.

Whoever is Jesse's position coach has done a hell of a job. I could live with Red. The other two, nope.

It's a delicate situation so I would want to handle it real classy.

I'd ask him to go out for dinner. Somewhere nice. Maybe Applebees.

I'd order for him. Show him who is in charge. I would go all out though, splurge a bit. I'd do the 2 for $22. Order up some chimichangas, maybe get an app - onion rings, extra sauce.

Then, after we got a little bit of a buzz, finished our food, we'd retire to comfier confines - Paradise Found. We could have some cocktails, enjoy some dancing - and then, I'd let him walk.

He'd have the best night of his life, and he leaves on a high note. Everyone wins.

I'd order for him. Show him who is in charge. I would go all out though, splurge a bit. I'd do the 2 for $22. Order up some chimichangas, maybe get an app - onion rings, extra sauce.

Then, after we got a little bit of a buzz, finished our food, we'd retire to comfier confines - Paradise Found. We could have some cocktails, enjoy some dancing - and then, I'd let him walk.

He'd have the best night of his life, and he leaves on a high note. Everyone wins.

Insta-Classic! This will be on the ACC Network tomorrow at 3 AM!

Spot on. I'd go with the artichoke dip app instead though. Nothing says "we're in this together" like double dipping out of the same bowl.

Tough question. I would start with a review of the last couple of seasons. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the teams we put on the floor. Discuss the bench strength and the use of bench players to prepare them for future games. I would want to understand why the mass exodus last season and the steps taken to plug the holes. I would ask why we only have three guards and two of then can not play defense. I would ask why did we not have 13 scholarship players this season? I would ask what happened to Benny and why he is not ready to play? Is it coaching or ability? I would get down into the detail and ask what the hell happened on the inbounds play versus WF? Why can we not run basic plays with a veteran team? I would make it clear we are no longer going to throw ANY player under the bus. All player comments will be made in private. Lastly I would ask about detail plans for a team in 2022 - 2023 that will bring Syracuse into the top four of ACC and return to the NCAA's. I would drive that spike in the ground and tell him that is the goal for next year, either deliver or consider it your last season......what a dreamer!!!!

Whoever is Jesse's position coach has done a hell of a job. I could live with Red. The other two, nope.

What do you know about the other 2?

To quote the great Mike Damone, ordering for someone is always "the classy move"

Don’t get married or have kids until 40+. Enjoy your life and do everything you love. If you’re happy being alone keep going. Obviously I’m not the norm, but this is what I’ve rolled with outside of my ex who was just really and on and off thing. Think Derek Jeter but instead of 9 and 10s but with solid 6s to 8s (with the occasional white whale)
Read that quick and thought you said the 'occasional white male' and thought that was pretty brave of you to admit. And potentially a bit racist.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

We also need some energy on the sidelines. There is no more juice. Red just isn't that guy. Obviously it's a lot more than just that to be a good coach. I mean look at the drop off after Hop. Hop might be struggling at UW but as an assistant and recruiter he was a game changer. He helped manage the rosters, connect with the kids and attract top talent.

You can point to JB getting older playing a role but the cliff we fell off of isn't just one man. We don't have the quality of assistant coaches right now that pair well with JB.

Well said. I totally get the hesitancy with Hop, but think about what he's doing recruiting wise. Bringing high level East Coast kids (Quade, Stewart) and getting them to SEATTLE. His ties with the East Coast that got us 5 stars from Philly, Jersey etc would emerge again. It's far easier to recruit guys to NY than WA relative to recruiting hot beds. We frequently cite 'not getting the same level of player' on this team - Hop is doing that, in a far more difficult situation.

If you want energy, high level recruiting, and an "in family" candidate, Hop is still the best of both worlds, IMO. Just a thought.

Well said. I totally get the hesitancy with Hop, but think about what he's doing recruiting wise. Bringing high level East Coast kids (Quade, Stewart) and getting them to SEATTLE. His ties with the East Coast that got us 5 stars from Philly, Jersey etc would emerge again. It's far easier to recruit guys to NY than WA relative to recruiting hot beds. We frequently cite 'not getting the same level of player' on this team - Hop is doing that, in a far more difficult situation.

If you want energy, high level recruiting, and an "in family" candidate, Hop is still the best of both worlds, IMO. Just a thought.

Yeah. Hops issue is in game management. He has really struggled there. That said if he can bring in top 10 classes every year he can get the kind of talent you don't have to over coach too.

Yeah. Hops issue is in game management. He has really struggled there. That said if he can bring in top 10 classes every year he can get the kind of talent you don't have to over coach too.
Plenty of high level recruiters/ poor game managers hide behind talent, Rick Barnes comes to mind. If the talent is there, you can get it done.

Plenty of high level recruiters/ poor game managers hide behind talent, Rick Barnes comes to mind. If the talent is there, you can get it done.

And Romar, Hop’s predecessor @ U-Dub.

Dude could croot like nobody’s business, but couldn’t coach his way outta a wet paper bag w all that talent.

Agreed that Rick Barnes is the poster boy for this tho.

Rick Barnes couldn’t get to the Sweet Sixteen with Kevin Durant and THREE other future NBA players on the roster.

Yeah there seems to be this attitude that he’s somehow entitled to coach his sons. Look I live the guy and all he’s done, and I’ll be tremendously sad when he steps away. But that’s just…not true.

A great season next year would get JB 2-3 more years. Another one like this and you have to move on.

I sure as hell don't want Pitino though.
The whole Pitino thing is just lol. It reminds me of the American presidents. We keep choosing old hags, and only god knows why we corner ourselves into a box of picking old Senators or HCs for my example to be the next HC. I don’t get it for the life of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom