You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office... | Syracusefan.com

You're the AD, and Boeheim walks into your office...

imdevo

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Scorer
and asks you for a chance (3-5 years) to build this back up and then off to retirement he goes.

Do you give it to him?

I'd sit him down and show him we had a five year stretch where we won 81% of all games followed by the current eight year stretch of winning 58% of games. I'd give him next year and say from now on you are on a year to year basis.

Yeah at some point accountability Is a thing and this is very much a “what have you done for me lately business” and add in all the trashing of the players and What not, there should be a shot clock on his job. They have zero chance of winning a national championship. Zero. And that’s a big hit from where we were

If we hired a new coach and they had our current 8-year stretch they would have been fired mid-season when this is all going bad. The fact he has had this long is because of what he has done for the university, community, and program. It is time to cut the losses and move on we have given 8 years to turn it around and instead it has been on a steady decline.

Ask him to set up a press conference to announce retirement and give the key to Red

Ask him to set up a press conference to announce retirement and give the key to Red

To the original poster's question, hell no.

To the post I'm responding to above, triple hell no.

The definition of insanity is doing this same thing and expecting different results. Time for a clean break -- not only from JB, but also the assistant coaches responsible for shoveling coal on this train wreck.

If we hired a new coach and they had our current 8-year stretch they would have been fired mid-season when this is all going bad. The fact he has had this long is because of what he has done for the university, community, and program. It is time to cut the losses and move on we have given 8 years to turn it around and instead it has been on a steady decline.

No we wouldn't have.

Inherit probation year, two Sweet 16s and a FF after.

The problem is the future and no difference makers coming in.

To the original poster's question, hell no.

To the post I'm responding to above, triple hell no.

The definition of insanity is doing this same thing and expecting different results. Time for a clean break -- not only from JB, but also the assistant coaches responsible for shoveling coal on this train wreck.
You do what your boss tells you do. Red is the man the for the job and has own vision for the program

I ask him for Rick Pitino’s cell number and politely tell him to leave
eye-roll-ugh.gif

For your health, you need to give this up. ;)

But what would Wildhack say? My guess is he gets it wrong.

You do what your boss tells you do. Red is the man the for the job and has own vision for the program
Red has never run a program let alone a major one and has been the #2 during the worst stretch in decades. No thank you. Hop was a better asst and now ran a major program. Hes not my #1 choice anymore but still is far more qualified.

Please. Someone who's never gotten an offer to be a head coach at the collegiate level is not the man to turn the titanic around. Particularly not when he is going to have his old bosses shadow hanging over him.

He's under qualified, and the available candidate pool will blow him away when the time comes.

We need a proven coach with fresh energy and new ideas, not a destitute man's version of the existing head coach who's running the program into the ground.

Red has never run a program let alone a major one and has been the #2 during the worst stretch in decades. No thank you. Hop was a better asst and now ran a major program. Hes not my #1 choice anymore but still is far more qualified.

And it really isn't even close. On top of that, Hopkins had been groomed to replace boeheim for a substantial amount of time, and had even been designated as the head coach and waiting. In terms of relative qualifications, he exceeds Red and GMAC combined by a wide margin.

And even so, he flopped when he got a chance to lead a p5 program. That should be a cautionary tale for our fan base, but most seem to be too afraid of change to grasp that lesson.

I'd sit him down and show him we had a five year stretch where we won 81% of all games followed by the current eight year stretch of winning 58% of games. I'd give him next year and say from now on you are on a year to year basis.

Certainly fair. And you have the facts to back it up.

Yeah at some point accountability Is a thing and this is very much a “what have you done for me lately business” and add in all the trashing of the players and What not, there should be a shot clock on his job. They have zero chance of winning a national championship. Zero. And that’s a big hit from where we were

And the important thing is to reboot while the recent great stretch is not a distant memory. From 2009 to 2014 we were anywhere from a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament (twice, 2010 and 2012) and never lower than a 4 seed, which was just once (2014) - and we made a Final Four! And another Final Four 2 years later (2016), albeit as a 10 seed, as the slide had begun. That's not that long ago.

Please. Someone who's never gotten an offer to be a head coach at the collegiate level is not the man to turn the titanic around. Particularly not when he is going to have his old bosses shadow hanging over him.

He's under qualified, and the available candidate pool will blow him away when the time comes.

We need a proven coach with fresh energy and new ideas, not a destitute man's version of the existing head coach who's running the program into the ground.

We also need some energy on the sidelines. There is no more juice. Red just isn't that guy. Obviously it's a lot more than just that to be a good coach. I mean look at the drop off after Hop. Hop might be struggling at UW but as an assistant and recruiter he was a game changer. He helped manage the rosters, connect with the kids and attract top talent.

You can point to JB getting older playing a role but the cliff we fell off of isn't just one man. We don't have the quality of assistant coaches right now that pair well with JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom