Zach Allen - ESPN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Allen - ESPN

Certainly not a myth by any means. A mobile QB in this system would be better. If we find someone who can fit that description remains to seen until next year.
That is different than needing a more mobile QB.

A mobile QB makes any system better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That is different than needing a more mobile QB.

A mobile QB makes any system better.

It has worked well for Philly.

It has worked well for Philly.
The problem in Philly is that the QB isn't a very good QB.

You're missing the forest for the trees boss.

As are you. Pitter patter.

your point would be valid if we had a QB that could play like Nassib but had speed like Broyld. But we don't. And we don't have anyone right now that will probably be that good throwing the ball.

your point would be valid if we had a QB that could play like Nassib but had speed like Broyld. But we don't. And we don't have anyone right now that will probably be that good throwing the ball.
That is a different discussion altogether from Rocco's statement that this system "needs" a QB that is more mobile than Nassib.

ZA will have a chance to start next year, but it will likely be Loeb or Hunt. We need a QB who is more mobile than Ryan in this system. Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

Side note: If Hunt can't pull it off at QB, maybe a switch to TE could be made? Would need to pack on about 20-30 lbs, but it is just a thought. Would give us another athletic option there...
Or stay the same as he is and be a tall WR

Why can't Broyld be the next QB? I like Nassib, but I don't want another "Nassib with speed". In fact, I think Nassib is plenty fast to be a QB. I will wait to see what Marrone thinks of Broyld as QB but I will not be surprised if he is our starter next year.

Why can't Broyld be the next QB? I like Nassib, but I don't want another "Nassib with speed". In fact, I think Nassib is plenty fast to be a QB. I will wait to see what Marrone thinks of Broyld as QB but I will not be surprised if he is our starter next year.
He can be the next QB, my point was referring to another poster. IMO, if we thought Broyld was the long term answer at QB, he'd be redshirting and learning the position this year.

90% chance Charley starts next season, with 10% on the field, but I can't see Broyld (hasn't learned the playbook yet), Allen (still in HS), Hunt (missed the spring) or Kinder (not as good as Loeb) passing him.

He can be the next QB, my point was referring to another poster. IMO, if we thought Broyld was the long term answer at QB, he'd be redshirting and learning the position this year.

90% chance Charley starts next season, with 10% on the field, but I can't see Broyld (hasn't learned the playbook yet), Allen (still in HS), Hunt (missed the spring) or Kinder (not as good as Loeb) passing him.
You may be right but my rebuttal would be - He's not ready to play QB (too green) but he's too good to keep out of the lineup altogether. That's why he didn't redshirt. He's also learning the system and getting great experience... which will come in handy next year no matter what. He has more game experience than any other QB on the team. He has learned the playbook from the standpoint of RB and WR which is not trivial and certainly overlaps with what he'll need to know as QB. While some was in cleanup, he's shown a nice ability to pickup yards on the run. Even the cleanup v. UConn was important because he kept picking up 1st downs to keep the clock running. The only thing we fans really have not seen him do is pass. I think to write him off as the starting QB next year is premature. I don't see Loeb starting next year. I know (1) he's #2 now and (2) we haven't really seen him play much... but he's never really given Nassib a run at the starting spot.

You may be right but my rebuttal would be - He's not ready to play QB (too green) but he's too good to keep out of the lineup altogether. That's why he didn't redshirt. He's also learning the system and getting great experience... which will come in handy next year no matter what. He has more game experience than any other QB on the team. He has learned the playbook from the standpoint of RB and WR which is not trivial and certainly overlaps with what he'll need to know as QB. While some was in cleanup, he's shown a nice ability to pickup yards on the run. Even the cleanup v. UConn was important because he kept picking up 1st downs to keep the clock running. The only thing we fans really have not seen him do is pass. I think to write him off as the starting QB next year is premature. I don't see Loeb starting next year. I know (1) he's #2 now and (2) we haven't really seen him play much... but he's never really given Nassib a run at the starting spot.
only reason I continue to say Loeb is starting is because it was the opinion of the staff when I last heard. things can change

only reason I continue to say Loeb is starting is because it was the opinion of the staff when I last heard. things can change
You obviously have some great inside connections because, in most cases, you're usually correct.

Quick question: Have you watched the Allen video? This kid is a perfect fit for our new system and is a very good athlete. I honestly think he'll make a real run at the starting spot for two reasons 1) early enrollment, hence, spring practice participation and 2) he has played in a similar system in HS.

No question there. However, no one has seen how well these ZA or AW will do especially when they enroll early. I really think that this QB battle will be fun to watch. Not counting Hunt out either.

You obviously have some great inside connections because, in most cases, you're usually correct.

Quick question: Have you watched the Allen video? This kid is a perfect fit for our new system and is a very good athlete. I honestly think he'll make a real run at the starting spot for two reasons 1) early enrollment, hence, spring practice participation and 2) he has played in a similar system in HS.
Honestly I love Allen's video and I hope either him or Broyld or Hunt get a chance to be used how Nassib was with Paulus. I've always been skeptical of starting a true freshman though, there's a ton of pressure on a kid who's adjusting to being in his first year of college, especially one coming from Texas to Syracuse. Everyone needs to just temper expectations and realize this kid isn't going to be amazing from day 1, there will be growing pains and he might not pan out (Jonny Miller ring a bell). I just hope one of these guys pans out and can be a 3 year starter.

Honestly I love Allen's video and I hope either him or Broyld or Hunt get a chance to be used how Nassib was with Paulus. I've always been skeptical of starting a true freshman though, there's a ton of pressure on a kid who's adjusting to being in his first year of college, especially one coming from Texas to Syracuse. Everyone needs to just temper expectations and realize this kid isn't going to be amazing from day 1, there will be growing pains and he might not pan out (Jonny Miller ring a bell). I just hope one of these guys pans out and can be a 3 year starter.

Good points.

I hope Allen is more like Johnny Manziel than Jonny Miller. As good as Manziel is...I think many forget that he is a RS frosh. I have no problem waiting as long as we have a suitable one year stop gap that we can win with.

Ok...I admit, I have no connections at SU anymore.

Latest on Zach Allen...

http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/mcca...cle_1c7bc28a-2d55-11e2-857e-001a4bcf6878.html

He was injured (shoulder, I don't have the specifics but appeared to be a bruised shoulder from reports) at the 10/26 game and only played a half aand was limited to running for the most part. (Almost 200 yards with an injured shoulder in just over a half). He missed th 11/2 game altogether, then with playoffs on the line came back for the 11/8 game, ran for a buck and half and a TD, and threw 3 more with 247 passing (just in the second half I believe) in a 63-56 win on the road off the injured shoulder. Fell short on making the playoffs as they needed to win by 15 points to get in, and Zach was stopped at the 5 yard line as time ran out. Gotto love this kids competiveness. In the games he didn't play they got beat 42-7, and 52-14 (If I remember that score correctly).
195Unofficial stats have him with over 2300 yards passing for 24 TDs, 4 INT's and over 1100 yards rushing with another 10 TDs. That is in 8.5 games in Texas 5A division game play, which is the top level in Texas High School Football. Zach was the number 1 passer in the league and finished 6th in rushing in his division, and 2nd in scoring. Fell short in making the playoffs by 5 yards. I don't think we will have any problem at QB once this kid comes up here. Can't wait to see him in spring ball as I think he surely has the potential to be a 4 year starter. They have him listed as 6-4 and 195 in some places, so appears to be putting some weight on as well as some height. (up from the 6-3/185 last spring)

Sounds like he had a very nice year, good to know that he came back from the shoulder injury and hopefully it'll be a thing of the past.

Sounds like he had a very nice year, good to know that he came back from the shoulder injury and hopefully it'll be a thing of the past.
Despite the fringe element that thik Kinder or Hunt will emerge as the starting QB for 2013, I think its going to be ZA. The backup might be one of the two aformentioned but its Allen with a possible good look at Wilson.Wilson is not a throwaway candidate by any means.Doug no doubt realizes he has a returning O-line with experience and talent to help out a rookie atquarterback.Add to that an impressive and dangerous set of RBs and we should be in good shape for 2013. I think Allen's shoulder problem might make the back up position even more critical in consideration.

And Scout has him listed as #77. What a crock. The kid will start either 2013 or 2014. Book it!

Despite the fringe element that thik Kinder or Hunt will emerge as the starting QB for 2013, I think its going to be ZA. The backup might be one of the two aformentioned but its Allen with a possible good look at Wilson.Wilson is not a throwaway candidate by any means.Doug no doubt realizes he has a returning O-line with experience and talent to help out a rookie atquarterback.Add to that an impressive and dangerous set of RBs and we should be in good shape for 2013. I think Allen's shoulder problem might make the back up position even more critical in consideration.

I'd would have liked to have had Wilson on the field for the spring but since the board saw he wasn't going to PSU, Pitt or Temple ;) he doesn't get a chance to.

Wonder if there's a chance ZA plays a similar style to Collin Klein. Maybe a better arm and better break-away speed. Definitely a different offense, but they're both tall, fine running QBs who can make throws. Btoh from Texas, too.

Latest on Zach Allen...

http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/mcca...cle_1c7bc28a-2d55-11e2-857e-001a4bcf6878.html

He was injured (shoulder, I don't have the specifics but appeared to be a bruised shoulder from reports) at the 10/26 game and only played a half aand was limited to running for the most part. (Almost 200 yards with an injured shoulder in just over a half). He missed th 11/2 game altogether, then with playoffs on the line came back for the 11/8 game, ran for a buck and half and a TD, and threw 3 more with 247 passing (just in the second half I believe) in a 63-56 win on the road off the injured shoulder. Fell short on making the playoffs as they needed to win by 15 points to get in, and Zach was stopped at the 5 yard line as time ran out. Gotto love this kids competiveness. In the games he didn't play they got beat 42-7, and 52-14 (If I remember that score correctly).
195Unofficial stats have him with over 2300 yards passing for 24 TDs, 4 INT's and over 1100 yards rushing with another 10 TDs. That is in 8.5 games in Texas 5A division game play, which is the top level in Texas High School Football. Zach was the number 1 passer in the league and finished 6th in rushing in his division, and 2nd in scoring. Fell short in making the playoffs by 5 yards. I don't think we will have any problem at QB once this kid comes up here. Can't wait to see him in spring ball as I think he surely has the potential to be a 4 year starter. They have him listed as 6-4 and 195 in some places, so appears to be putting some weight on as well as some height. (up from the 6-3/185 last spring)

I was fortunate enough to attend on of Zach Allen's games earlier this year and shake hands/offer my congratulations on a well played game afterwards (I'm the author of that TNIAAM post that was linked here in September). I am 6'0" tall and would say Zach is in the 6'2" to 6'3" range. I'd also say that 185 seems about right. He's pretty skinny, but has a very strong, wiry, athletic build.

In addition to noting that Zach's Temple team plays in 5A, the highest level in Texas, they also went out of their way to schedule hard out of conference games. They beat Austin Westlake (the game I was at), a perinnial power (alma mater of Drew Brees and, more recently, Nick Foles of the Eagles) and Southlake Carroll, the preseason #1 team in all of Texas. A quick googling shows that Southlake has 4 starters on defense that have accepted scholarship offers from FBS schools. Suffice it to say, Allen has gone up against strong high school competition. I love the fact that he'll get to Syracuse in January. I'm hopelessly biased, but in my mind the only question is whether Zach redshirts a year before taking the reigns or if he'll jump right in.

Wonder if there's a chance ZA plays a similar style to Collin Klein. Maybe a better arm and better break-away speed. Definitely a different offense, but they're both tall, fine running QBs who can make throws. Btoh from Texas, too.
I don't see Allen much like Klein. He isn't the same kind of runner. He's certainly put up eye popping running stats, but while I think he'll be mobile and pose a threat as a runner in college, I don't see him as a running weapon in the mold of Klein. On the plus side of the ledger, while Klein has improved his passing and accuracy this season, Allen I'd say is much further along as a passer than Klein at the same stage.

In my opinion, I agree with Trent Dilfer when he says that Zach Allen's best comp is Colt McCoy. His skills resemble Colt McCoy's, but with a bit better arm strength. Obviously McCoy is a very high standard and I'm not saying he'll be that, but if you are looking for a similar style QB, I think McCoy is a reasonable mold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom