Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a contract and left after one year to go to a lower coaching position. The sting McNeese St fans felt was easily or harder to understand than Arnett picking Miss St after agreeing to coach SU after 2 weeks. Put yourself in their position...heck...people here went ballistic when Marrone left for the NFL.

The difference is this:

Once you commit, you're ethically obligated to give the job an honest shot. If that's a year, so be it. But it can't be a couple weeks (without actually performing so many duties related to the job...like showing up to your office, managing your assistants, coaching in 12 games).

Real-life example:

Last year I applied, the old-fashioned way, for a position that looked like a terrific fit. The firm was not communicative from that point forward, and at some point in the fall I was cold-called by another employer who made it clear they wanted me and had a fairly aggressive hiring timeline. I did my due diligence, negotiated on the numbers, and they gave me an offer. I accepted verbally.

The very next week I heard back from the original firm, they were interested. Did I leave the new employer in the lurch (without an executed deal, without having yet worked a day)? Of course not. From an ethical perspective, it's the wrong thing to do; from a self-interested perspective, the legal community is a relatively small one, my name is my brand and if I go around reneging on my word, my word and my brand are s---.

Between the rooting interest and the crazy dollar figures, it seems like people split hairs and make excuses for behavior that's totally unacceptable in the real world.

His track record would prove otherwise. Do I think he will win a national championship? absolutely not but highly doubtful he flames out. He's also at MSU not LSU or Bama. He will cause a lot of problems for SEC Teams and will get some upsets for sure. He goes through D Coordinators like underwear though.

I believe MSU knew they had a good shot at Leach prior to letting Moorhead go as well.
His track record suggests he will have success. I wonder, though, if he will get tired of dealing with all of the boosters that go along with an SEC team that isn't Vanderbilt or they'll get tired of him. I wonder how the culture there compares to Texas Tech.

I pretty much missed the fireworks yesterday as I played hookie and took my kids skiing. Glad on both counts. Read about this at some point on the Gondola. A day later I don't much care. I was excited about having someone new, young, energetic, fresh ideas but at the end of the day it's a crapshoot. He might be average joe. Now he's in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, A&M, LSU? I can understand wanting that challenge so good luck to him.

Back to us, I feel bad for HCDB and players, has to be a huge letdown and sends the wrong message to kids about integrity. But we live in the me first world now. We should be fine at DC. There are a lot of good capable coordinators out there. Blasphemous I know but even Scott Shafer was a good DC when he was here with Marrone. We'll be ok. I personally just want an aggressive downhill attacking style.

I think the best part about this is now knowing Syracuse will open the wallet and hit at least 900K for a coordinator.

The difference is this:

Once you commit, you're ethically obligated to give the job an honest shot. If that's a year, so be it. But it can't be a couple weeks (without actually performing so many duties related to the job...like showing up to your office, managing your assistants, coaching in 12 games).

Real-life example:

Last year I applied, the old-fashioned way, for a position that looked like a terrific fit. The firm was not communicative from that point forward, and at some point in the fall I was cold-called by another employer who made it clear they wanted me and had a fairly aggressive hiring timeline. I did my due diligence, negotiated on the numbers, and they gave me an offer. I accepted verbally.

The very next week I heard back from the original firm, they were interested. Did I leave the new employer in the lurch (without an executed deal, without having yet worked a day)? Of course not. From an ethical perspective, it's the wrong thing to do; from a self-interested perspective, the legal community is a relatively small one, my name is my brand and if I go around reneging on my word, my word and my brand are s---.

Between the rooting interest and the crazy dollar figures, it seems like people split hairs and make excuses for behavior that's totally unacceptable in the real world.

Did he add insult to injury by having a Mississippi State equipment truck drive by the SU campus and athletic facilities?

I pretty much missed the fireworks yesterday as I played hookie and took my kids skiing. Glad on both counts. Read about this at some point on the Gondola. A day later I don't much care. I was excited about having someone new, young, energetic, fresh ideas but at the end of the day it's a crapshoot. He might be average joe. Now he's in the SEC West with Bama, Auburn, A&M, LSU? I can understand wanting that challenge so good luck to him.

Back to us, I feel bad for HCDB and players, has to be a huge letdown and sends the wrong message to kids about integrity. But we live in the me first world now. We should be fine at DC. There are a lot of good capable coordinators out there. Blasphemous I know but even Scott Shafer was a good DC when he was here with Marrone. We'll be ok. I personally just want an aggressive downhill attacking style.

I think the best part about this is now knowing Syracuse will open the wallet and hit at least 900K for a coordinator.

Perhaps. Or, this morning ADJW has a line of assistant coaches waiting outside his office door saying..."oh really!" ;):)

Explain why.

What is their ceiling in the SEC considering who they play annually? They are bottom feeders in their conference with no path to competing. There’s a path to becoming an elite defense in the ACC. Not happening vs Bama, LSU etc.
Who would want to live in Mississippi? Seriously. They are ranked 50th among all states in pretty much every category of anything positive.

What is Wildhack supposed to do. An offer letter is the same as a contract when it comes to signing really. We matched their offer.

Without getting off into the weeds, if matching the offer is true, then maybe they should've come in higher from the get go. Put pen to paper rather quickly.

We need to pull a rabbit out of our hat.
This time for sure.
Bullwinkle.jpg

The difference is this:

Real-life example:

I NEVER said it was ok...ever.... or did I say it was "acceptable". Just commented on how it hurt McNeese St to have a coach leave after a year for an OC job and the sting they felt.

Arnett is without honor and, at some point, this will come back to hurt him!!!
We will move on and get a DC who will lead our defense to thrive in the ACC!

GoOrangefootballTINNI0QQNhAM.gif

Last edited:
I NEVER said it was ok...ever... or did I say it was "acceptable". Just commented on how it hurt McNeese St to have a coach leave after a year for an OC job and the sting they felt.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that either. The cavalier way the employees and employers treat their contracts as a binding employment (rather than transactional) agreement isn't great. To say nothing of how the employees' actions affect the kids.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that either. The cavalier way the employees and employers treat their contracts as a binding employment (rather than transactional) agreement isn't great. To say nothing of how the employees' actions affect the kids.

I agree and adults leading by their actions can show the right or wrong way to go about things and these college kids are getting a life lesson.

His track record would prove otherwise. Do I think he will win a national championship? absolutely not but highly doubtful he flames out. He's also at MSU not LSU or Bama. He will cause a lot of problems for SEC Teams and will get some upsets for sure. He goes through D Coordinators like underwear though.

I believe MSU knew they had a good shot at Leach prior to letting Moorhead go as well.

I don’t think he’s been under this kind of microscope. Tech and Wazzu are weird jobs that have way less scrutiny. He’s a very, very good offensive coach and his system creates problems - but the other stuff will add up to nip him before too long.

Ohh it's not just him. Safe to say they're all pissed.

Yeah the players aren’t taking this too lightly. I think this just added a chip on their shoulder and they feel slighted (as they should). Off the top of my head I know Josh Black, Cisco, Hackett, Neil, and Trill have all thrown some shade.

I’m sure there is a lot more talk behind closed doors. This just adds to the fuel they need this off season, this team will come out hungry and ready next season. Bet on it

Yeah the players aren’t taking this too lightly. I think this just added a chip on their shoulder and they feel slighted (as they should). Off the top of my head I know Josh Black, Cisco, Hackett, Neil, and Trill have all thrown some shade.

I’m sure there is a lot more talk behind closed doors. This just adds to the fuel they need this off season, this team will come out hungry and ready next season. Bet on it
Yepp.

The difference is this:

Real-life example:

Had a guy do that to my company last year. I spent a lot of time assisting with the search, interviewing candidates, find a guy who seems OK, he signs an offer letter. Will start in 30 days to tie up loose ends. A couple days before starting (and signing the actual employment contract), whooooops, I got a different job! Not reporting as agreed!

POS move to do it, and no justifying it. Hopefully these turds aren't raising children to be like them.

I wonder if there were reasons why he changed his mind? $ and the SEC most likely but maybe his wife or family from there or he just felt more comfortable with Leach than he did with Dino? I'm not happy with what he did or went about doing things but it's his life and while he should have waited for a job he really wanted, he took the bird in hand (SU job) when one he may have dreamed about his whole life happened just after accepting the SU job?

Now Ottomets you could say I am making excuses :) There could be factors that we don't know about in play here that maybe SU had no way of changing or knowing.

Time to tighten the bootstraps and fix this.

His track record suggests he will have success. I wonder, though, if he will get tired of dealing with all of the boosters that go along with an SEC team that isn't Vanderbilt or they'll get tired of him. I wonder how the culture there compares to Texas Tech.
He went through the Craig James ordeal there. Doesn't really get much worse than that.

The difference is this:

Real-life example:

And what's sad is that the behavior is accepted. Everyone in big time sports, and to some extent the ultra wealthy/celebrity, lives in a world with different rules than the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom