Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see the OP you responded to but my point stands without taking "pay" literally. My only contention is that equal pay does not constitute a lack of disparity in the offers themselves. Syracuse would have to pay more for this to be viewed as an equal opportunity.
It was quoted in my first post that you replied to.
If his goal is to coach in the SEC, he was bound to leave SU, whether we offered more than MSU or not.

when the dust settles Dino’s likely gone as soon as a bigger offer comes his way. who wants to deal with scratching and clawing for coaches on top of recruits. Clearly the SEC is the holy graileven for the teams that historically suck.
An answer about whether DB signed an extension and for how long.

By Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- When Syracuse University announced in December that football coach Dino Babers accepted a long-term contract extension, it gave no indication how long that meant.

A new recruiting graphic surfaced Tuesday and provided a date.

Babers’ contract runs through the 2024 season.

There’s little reason to question the accuracy of the graphic, which includes other achievements from last season, including winning 10 games for the first time since 2001, having 11 players earn All-ACC recognition and Babers being named co-ACC coach of the year by the Associated Press.

This is going to be interesting IF Wildhack is saying we will only pay our coordinators so much which is not close to those in the SEC. of course we are a private institution and haven't the $ of the P5 state schools? That means we and HCDB can only be so good but not as good as MS which I think is bull.

If Arnett wanted the glorious SEC and more money he should have said so and or waited for the opportunity. Now he's kind of another Manny Diaz.

Last edited:
An answer about whether DB signed an extension and for how long.

By Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- When Syracuse University announced in December that football coach Dino Babers accepted a long-term contract extension, it gave no indication how long that meant.

A new recruiting graphic surfaced Tuesday and provided a date.

Babers’ contract runs through the 2024 season.

There’s little reason to question the accuracy of the graphic, which includes other achievements from last season, including winning 10 games for the first time since 2001, having 11 players earn All-ACC recognition and Babers being named co-ACC coach of the year by the Associated Press.

This is going to be interesting IF Wildhack is saying we will only pay our coordinators so much which is not close to those in the SEC. of course we are a private institution and haven't the $ of the P5 state schools? That means we and HCDB can only be so good but not as good as MS which I think is bull.
I was totally joking about whether DB signed or not, in light of all this contract talk.

I was totally joking about whether DB signed or not, in light of all this contract talk.
I wasn't sure about the length of the extension so I wanted to find out and because of you I did. :)

Last edited:
Once again you have no clue what you are talking about. It's not unusual at all as Scooch has been saying. I've never seen someone pretend to know so much they don't know as you do.

Its amazing to me that you dont understand that a contract should have been executed by both parties. Also just because you cant comprehend something doesn't mean that others dont.

You are wrong. You cant have someone representing your company, school, municipalities, or any public institution in todays world that isnt under contract.

I would highly recommend switching your allegiance to professional sports for clarity.

Just can’t imagine there are many good DCs left. That’s the only thing that makes this whole thing stink

left? We can offer anyone we want. It’s a matter of them taking the offer.

I agree but I think HCDB and Wildhack learned a hard lesson but an obvious one to me - that there are people out there in this world that are not their word AND that it is all about the $.

I don't think Babers is the kind of individual who even thought this was going to happen. His standards are too high on a personal level - Well Dino in this dirty, real world there are assh**** like Arnett who played SU his way even though he had a feel good letter to everyone in the PS. People like him you don't want around Syracuse. They leave a bad taste and smell behind them. It doesn't matter whether some think this is a typical move. Unfortunately it happens. But only Arnett, Wildhack and Babers know about this right?

Coaches and people usually end up getting what they give and this will come back to bite him in the ass in many ways IMHO. GOSU ;)

Babers was hired by an ssh** like Arnett.

I just believe he has a higher career ceiling path through SU.
His ceiling isn't capped at Miss St. If he does well there, he'll be head hunted by a factory or look for a HC job.

So, I've seen people on here say one of the reasons Leach's defenses aren't that good is that he doesn't allot much practice time to defense. If that's accurate, how much would that frustrate any decent DC?

Subtle shade from Neil?? I think so haha. Fully warranted IMO ;)

F3D2A9B5-F2FB-4941-A232-5DC658CAF8F0.jpeg

Have you literally never in your life had to choose between multiple job offers? Syracuse matching the pay is not taking it seriously. It's laughable that Wildhack is disappointed in Arnetts lack of commitment. If Syracuse wants to take it seriously, they have to offer more compensation to make up for the lack of everything else that makes the job attractive in comparison.

That’s not what happened. He made a commitment, signed the offer, allowed the University to make a public announcement, made his own announcement and then began negotiations with Miss St.

If he had two offers and was making a decision, pick whatever one you like. I like Syracuse but maybe his great grandpapi is from Starksville - we lose out on coaches, players, etc all the time (like most programs).

Maybe Wildhack felt that since he’d already committed publicly, he’d stay so if the money was equal out of good faith.

He would be a wow hire and boost recruiting

He's also a guy who would be gone in two years tops
Where's he going? He just bombed out of USF in a hurry after taking over a full cupboard from Taggart.

So, I've seen people on here say one of the reasons Leach's defenses aren't that good is that he doesn't allot much practice time to defense. If that's accurate, how much would that frustrate any decent DC?
Don't think thats quite accurate. I think he usually has inferior talent which he can mold and succeed with in the air raid. While they'll average 40ppg they are also going to be fielding a defense likely with inferior talent that will be starting a lot of possessions on a short field and/or with little rest and that starts to negate the offensive advantage and creates a lot of 45-42 games where a big turnover can be the difference either way.

I’m really curious about how the whole Rocky thing went down. Personally, I’d feel terrible if I gave a glowing recommendation for someone and then they pulled a maneuver like this. I guess it doesn’t make any difference, but curious nonetheless.
Overall, I think I’m just disappointed I got my hopes up for an exciting defense only to be fooled once again. I imagine there’s probably plenty of people more directly affected by this that are pretty pissed.

My point is simple. A term sheet isnt binding. Its Toilet paper. Get a signed contract before anything is announced. At a minimum SU would have had a buy out. Hopefully we did.

It’s a bad look I’m sure chasing coordinator buyouts. When the face of your program leaves getting agreed upon compensation is fine. But we’re just gonna do the same thing to another school. Sucks.

He wasn’t a man of his word at all and that would be the only thing to keep him. MSU hiring him only made ESPN news ticker because of the 2 week thing coordinator hires don’t make their ticker unless it’s Alabama or something.

That’s how I found out I saw Mississippi state and then Syracuse underneath and figured it had to be a women’s basketball score BC we don’t play them and then got sick.

I’m really curious about how the whole Rocky thing went down. Personally, I’d feel terrible if I gave a glowing recommendation for someone and then they pulled a maneuver like this. I guess it doesn’t make any difference, but curious nonetheless.
Overall, I think I’m just disappointed I got my hopes up for an exciting defense only to be fooled once again. I imagine there’s probably plenty of people more directly affected by this that are pretty pissed.

I agree that something doesn't seem right with the Rocky thing. First, he comes to Syracuse to discuss the DC position with HCDB and suddenly his protege Arnett gets the offer. At the same time Leach goes from WSU to MSU and his first choice was Newberry for the DC position. Newberry turns it down and stays at Navy, and Rocky (who is good friends with Leach) is reported to be in discussions about coming to MSU as a DC. Again Rocky turns it down but says "maybe you can get Zach to come in and run my 3-3-5 defense for you." MSU has deep pockets - Hey, they bought out your WSU contract, maybe you can get Zach from SU for the right price...

Arnett plays MSU against SU and ends up quadrupling his pay, under the tutelage of his former boss.

I'll be interested to see how Arnett does as a DC in the SEC. It was admitted by both coaches that Rocky drew up the defensive schemes for all the games when Arnett was the DC at SDSU, yet the credit was given to Arnett.

Rocky Long should be pissed at Arnett. If he isn't he is an asshat who screwed over Dino.
Who knows. I don’t know Rocky at all. It’s a “jerk” (yes I have a few other words) move for sure. I’m extremely disappointed like you all. Sad day for the ‘Cuse faithful. It happened for a reason though and maybe we dodged a bullet. Someone will come that appreciates Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom