Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy do that to my company last year. I spent a lot of time assisting with the search, interviewing candidates, find a guy who seems OK, he signs an offer letter. Will start in 30 days to tie up loose ends. A couple days before starting (and signing the actual employment contract), whooooops, I got a different job! Not reporting as agreed!

POS move to do it, and no justifying it. Hopefully these turds aren't raising children to be like them.

Had an identical experience with someone I hired for an analyst role in a company I worked for 5 years ago. (not that type of analyst, Chip)

Guy signed an offer letter for $52k to join my team and called me the Wednesday before he was supposed to start (following Monday) to tell me he'd gotten a pay bump to $54k from his current employer (his salary was $49k when he applied).

He asked me if I would match the offer and I thought he was joking.

I asked him, "Do you think I'm going to call my boss and try to convince him he should approve a pay increase for someone who is reneging on the offer letter he signed?"

(Brief awkward silence before he replied)

"Um, no."

"Okay, good. I was worried you thought I was as stupid as you are for making this call."

Click.

The guy took another gig, move on it happens. I’ve been on both sides of this. The original SU offer was prob nowhere near the amount he signed for at MSU. happens get over it and move on. These guys have to strike when the iron is hot.
I doubt he’s losing any sleep over it

Dino seems to really be committed to running the 3-3-5, so I've gotta think the search will begin and end with people that run that formation.

I firmly believe this. I think he woke up one day late last season — probably after the Louisville game — and realized the program cant succeed without evolving. I don’t think we can recruit properly to fill the needs in our current defense or anything similar.

Dino seems to really be committed to running the 3-3-5, so I've gotta think the search will begin and end with people that run that formation.
A few posters have been speculating this, but I'm not sure where they're getting this from. An article posted yesterday mentioned that he was interested in Newberry and he doesn't run a 3-3-5.

Manny Diaz had a contract with Temple. Miami paid the buyout.

Even if Arnett was signed and sealed, contracts are made to be broken.

Everyone is speculating, so I'll give my two cents. There has been no announcement of a buyout by Miss. St., which is a state school. Maybe I just haven't seen one. Wouldn't Miss. St. have to make it public? This makes me think that we never had Arnett under contract and it made it easier to poach him. I believe the University might have taken their sweet time with dotting the I's. Contracts are made to broken but SU is stupid if they aren't paid a buyout in this deal. It could have made it easier for Leach to swoop in for sure. Also, just because we matched their offer doesn't mean much. They are in the SEC and they are use to getting around obstacles.

Never put your faith in someone named Zach—I'll bet this dude bombs. And I'm always skeptical of coach recommendations.

Never put your faith in someone named Zach—I'll bet this dude bombs. And I'm always skeptical of coach recommendations.

1579803029694.jpeg

Everyone is speculating, so I'll give my two cents. There has been no announcement of a buyout by Miss. St., which is a state school. Maybe I just haven't seen one. Wouldn't Miss. St. have to make it public? This makes me think that we never had Arnett under contract and it made it easier to poach him. I believe the University might have taken their sweet time with dotting the I's. Contracts are made to broken but SU is stupid if they aren't paid a buyout in this deal. It could have made it easier for Leach to swoop in for sure. Also, just because we matched their offer doesn't mean much. They are in the SEC and they are use to getting around obstacles.

I wasn't aware that buyouts for assistant coaches was even a thing. I don't think it is unless it's the very tippy top guys like Venebles.

I wasn't aware that buyouts for assistant coaches was even a thing. I don't think it is unless it's the very tippy top guys like Venebles.

I assume they are a thing. It was brought up by OrangeXtreme who knows more than me.

Most of the state SEC schools have "athletic foundations" that are not public institutions, which is where the buyouts and additional pay for head and assistants can be made from. This is how in states like Mississippi, where there is a cap on how much a state employee can be paid, they can offer multi-million dollar contracts to coaches.

Most of the state SEC schools have "athletic foundations" that are not public institutions, which is where the buyouts and additional pay for head and assistants can be made from. This is how in states like Mississippi, where there is a cap on how much a state employee can be paid, they can offer multi-million dollar contracts to coaches.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you any links explaining this? Also, I find it hard to believe in this day and age that someone like Thamel ,who has been on this story, doesn't find out about a buyout or even if there was one.

For as bad as all of this is, this guy was gone as soon as someone came sniffing. Any coordinator or assistant coach is always looking for the next promotion. This guy did the same. I’m bummed that he wasn’t able to install his 3-3-5 here and THEN leave a year or 2 later. If people were still sniffing at that point, that means we were benefactor of an improved defense.

As a father with young kids, I don’t blame him for trying to secure his family’s future. Not one bit. But at the end of the day, this is horseshhhit for us. It blows in every way possible. The guy reneged on a commitment to Dino, contract or not. It’s a gentleman’s agreement. You only have your word. Stick to it.

Roughly 30% of all offers that are verbally accepted in today's labor market end up backing out. Granted, the coaching labor market is different than the general public, but this happens fairly regularly anywhere you go.

...snip...

As a father with young kids, I don’t blame him for trying to secure his family’s future. Not one bit. But at the end of the day, this is horseshhhit for us. It blows in every way possible. The guy reneged on a commitment to Dino, contract or not. It’s a gentleman’s agreement. You only have your word. Stick to it.
I believe you have conflated two dissimilar events. He tried to secure his family's future by deciding to change jobs from SDSU to Syracuse in the normal course of a career advancement. Bravo! What he did afterward is not simply "trying to secure his family's future". It's horsepucky. And I do blame him for that.

I believe you have conflated two dissimilar events. He tried to secure his family's future by deciding to change jobs from SDSU to Syracuse in the normal course of a career advancement. Bravo! What he did afterward is not simply "trying to secure his family's future". It's horsepucky. And I do blame him for that.

How so? He took a better offer, in a far better conference, with a guy that he deeply respects. It just so happen to occur shortly after agreeing to become DC here.

Syracuse said they matched his offer, but I'm sure there were several other considerations/fringies he took into account that he favored.

The timing of all of it is lousy, but it is what it is.

The suggested replacements on this thread reminds me of the movie Cool Runnings when they needed a sled that “just worked.” She was a beauty of I recall.

Had an identical experience with someone I hired for an analyst role in a company I worked for 5 years ago. (not that type of analyst, Chip)

Guy signed an offer letter for $52k to join my team and called me the Wednesday before he was supposed to start (following Monday) to tell me he'd gotten a pay bump to $54k from his current employer (his salary was $49k when he applied).

He asked me if I would match the offer and I thought he was joking.

I asked him, "Do you think I'm going to call my boss and try to convince him he should approve a pay increase for someone who is reneging on the offer letter he signed?"

(Brief awkward silence before he replied)

"Um, no."

"Okay, good. I was worried you thought I was as stupid as you are for making this call."

Click.
I get that your last line probably made you feel good but bottom line is the guy got more money and you had to restart your job search. He won, you lost. And honestly, it's not stupid to see if someone will make you a better offer. Fact is I think you were short sighted and angry. He gave you the opportunity Zach did not give Wildhack. He could have just said nothing and no-showed(dealt with that in my past), or called and said hey yeah I'm not going to work for you, too bad so sad, leaving your in a lurch. No the guy gave you a chance to salvage that hiring and not have to go back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you any links explaining this? Also, I find it hard to believe in this day and age that someone like Thamel ,who has been on this story, doesn't find out about a buyout or even if there was one.
These two articles discuss the Ole Miss and Arkansas foundations buyouts of Bielema and Matt Luke. I live in Mississippi, and anecdotally, I have heard of big boosters making "donations" to the foundations as a way to attempt to force a coach out.

I get that your last line probably made you feel good but bottom line is the guy got more money and you had to restart your job search. He won, you lost. And honestly, it's not stupid to see if someone will make you a better offer. Fact is I think you were short sighted and angry. He gave you the opportunity Zach did not give Wildhack. He could have just said nothing and no-showed(dealt with that in my past), or called and said hey yeah I'm not going to work for you, too bad so sad, leaving your in a lurch. No the guy gave you a chance to salvage that hiring and not have to go back to the drawing board.

Cool story - that behavior works in the building trades but not so much in corporate America.

Nobody in their right mind tries to re-negotiate salary after they've signed an offer letter the week before their start date.

I was simply the hiring manager - the HR colleagues who vetted and on-boarded him were 5 times more ticked than I was.

I moved on to my second choice who started 3 weeks later.

And the additional $2k that fool got came at the expense of having both the Finance and HR departments at one of WNY's largest employers remember his name (and not fondly).

You may be able to get away with that stuff in larger cities but smaller communities, and niche job markets within those communities, tend to remember that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom