Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys like Richards Linton Gouldbourne Cantin can all play OLB and also play at the LOS rushing the passer or being force players vs the run. Guys like Black, Bear are athletic enough to play the 5 tech. Other guys that can play 5 techs are Rondi, Okechukwu, Munoz, Dawson and Tuazama. Kingsley and Morton will have to fit in. Kingsley needs to be on the field no matter what

Who do you think can play the "Aztec" role in the secondary? Cisco?

The 3-3-5 comes apart if the LB doesn't make the initial tackle 2-3 yards on. That is going to be the key. Tackling must improve!

Im excited about the hire. His numbers speak for themselves. My concerns will be fitting current players into the 3-5. He has to fit his pieces in for max production and we need to be better now. Not sure if we can be as good as we can be next season because of a scheme switch. Some DT's will have to play 5 tech's. DE's will have to play some OLB. They will have to learn different reads, techniques, different run and pass fit responsibilities.

I haven’t studied it but several of our DEs may have played 3-5 in HS and were listed as OLB/DE. Guys like Goulbourne, Linton, Kinsler, Richards might excel here.

Guys like Richards Linton Gouldbourne Cantin can all play OLB and also play at the LOS rushing the passer or being force players vs the run. Guys like Black, Bear are athletic enough to play the 5 tech. Other guys that can play 5 techs are Rondi, Okechukwu, Munoz, Dawson and Tuazama. Kingsley and Morton will have to fit in. Kingsley needs to be on the field no matter what
I will be very interested to watch the development of Tuazama in this scheme. This kid is a talent, IMO.

trill, stritz, iffy, coley, nunn is what I’m thinking with Cisco at Aztec, or am I not understanding the scheme right?

We have A LOT of db talent returning

Does Black go to DE in this scheme or no? Didn’t love Black at DT at his weight. Black at DE another story and it lets him even shed a few pounds.
I agree with money3189 - Black will play the 5 technique - lines up outside shoulder of the OT; a DE in the 3 man front. Very physically demanding position.

I respect your knowledge greatly, and I am a fan that never actually played football, so please help me out with something: It's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of this hire and the apparent unanimity of its approval, and I see where it may help with our current personnel, but how does this help us stop the run? We take out an interior DL, and maybe increase our ability to attack on the edges, but up the middle looks vulnerable, especially given our recent track record. What am I missing?
I run a 3-3-5 on my team. My best defenses were smaller. Size is not always the factor in stopping the run. Speed and attacking the right gaps plays a big part. Thats what Arnett's defense does. Its causes confusion vs man block schemes and it allows faster and athletic lineman to attack zone schemes. Its attacking offenses rather than trying to battle against guys that are bigger than us. Pro schemes can present some alignment issues but his scheme is designed to allow undersize lineman to attack and be more competitive at the POA.

I run a 3-3-5 on my team. My best defenses were smaller. Size is not always the factor in stopping the run. Speed and attacking the right gaps plays a big part. Thats what Arnett's defense does. Its causes confusion vs man block schemes and it allows faster and athletic lineman to attack zone schemes. Its attacking offenses rather than trying to battle against guys that are bigger than us. Pro schemes can present some alignment issues but his scheme is designed to allow undersize lineman to attack and be more competitive at the POA.
Thank you very much! I would guess then that we would likely see more pre-snap movement, and blitzing or blitz "looks" that force the offense to react rather than sitting on our heels?

"Organized chaos" pre snap to cause confusion; attacking gaps at the snap?

One of the many things that bothered me about Ward was the almost total lack of pre snap movement.

Thank you very much! I would guess then that we would likely see more pre-snap movement, and blitzing or blitz "looks" that force the offense to react rather than sitting on our heels?
Exactly and take a look at their roster. They had one D lineman over 300 pounds. As a matter of fact, just about all of their D lineman are under 270 pounds.

Last edited:
Very pleased with this hire. Although they could have waited until Tuesday.

Welcome Coach, although if it was a SDSU coach I thought it was Rocky, this is certainly a bit of a shock (in a good way)

Any unsigned defensive recruits from SDSU that he could sway to the frozen tundra of Upstate New York, you know the kids that don't like the sun and girls in bikinis?

And yet teams only averaged 75 rushing yards a game against them.
We routinely gave up nearly that much per quarter over the last 4 years (ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration)

we got outmanned a bunch vs the the run, adding some confusion to the mix cant hurt and it helps to not be sending rushers from the same spots so hopefully it helps there too.

Anyone know what our starting defense could look like... ive done some reading on this 3-3-5 but still not exactly sure how players fit. Will the DEs be like 3-4 DEs? Is there a true NT? I take it thay Cisco will be that extra Safety that plays almost like a Linebacker. And as i understand one OLB is like a pass rushing Hybrid DE/LB hybrid while the other is a typical OLB. Can anyone explain to me what the personnel would look like?

I'm shocked that there haven't been any,

Can he recruit?

He's doesn't have any ties to the area.

Didn't he just hold a clipboard for the real DC?

Come on complainers, you're dropping the ball.

What will the busybody New Jersey high school coaches think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom