Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are some of y'all changing your evening plans just to refresh this page? It's more or less official. I don't like staring bad news in the face more than I have to.
This is what the forum does; we wring our hands, clutch our pearls, and make H0T Takes all in the name of trying to make sense out of an insane situation. It is what it is...but amidst the chaos, we look for pearls of wisdom from those who “know” things, we are talked back from the ledge by others, and we get some measure of catharsis by venting. If not, well, that’s why there is alcohol.

Last edited:
The way that was worded, sure makes it sound like a contract was signed and agreed upon.

I thought the opposite. Wildhack said that Arnett did not honor his "commitment" - he didn't say that Arnett didn't honor his "contract".

Wildhack to Ward: u up?

This is what the forum does; we wring our hands, clutch our pearls, and make H0T Takes all in the name of trying to make sense out of an insane situation. It is what it is...but amidst the chaos, we look for pearls of wisdom from those who “know” things, we are talked back from the ledge by others, and we get some measure of catharsis by venting. If not, we’ll that’s why there is alcohol.
I beg your pardon, I never clutch my pearls. ;)

Yeah, I’d say no. If you commit to a HC, talk about how much respect you have for him and our program - it’s at least partly on you.

Maybe we got outbid? But that doesn’t mean it’s a “huge failure” - it means we don’t pay what they do. If we announced it before a contract was signed? That’s the failure part.

This isn't volunteer work. Our job was to secure him. We didn't do that.

Again, we do not have the luxury to miss on these types of things. We don't have a clamoring of top level talent fighting to be the DC here. We don't have seemingly infinite financial resources and prestige to just take a hit like this and keep on ticking.

At some point we need to do better. We are 20 years past when SU used to be expected in a bowl game.

Sucks, but we're talking about the college football coaching profession. Or, to paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson...

“The music college football business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway, where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

The way that was worded, sure makes it sound like a contract was signed and agreed upon.

Disagree. If a contract had been executed, the more nebulous term "commitment" would not have been used. You see it in crootin all the time. Recruit breaks his "commitment" versus asking for a release from his letter of intent, which i believe is legal binding contract.

This is a huge failure on the part of the football program and the AD, imo. I have no qualms with Arnett looking out for himself.

I'm sure we'll land a new DC we can all convince ourselves we're happy with, but we don't have the resources to make these kinds of missteps.

Really, how so? Until we know the facts of this matter that is a BS assumption. They could have had a handshake and this guy slow rolled signing the deal because they knew this was possible. They could have had a signed deal and MSU ponied up the buyout, if there was one.

It's an employment contract, not fixed servitude, if the economics change you can always leave. The SEC can always pay more if they want to.

How do you know that they didn't lock him up? This level of unprofessionalism in coaching isn't met with the same energy it is at the front office and support staff level nor is it equitable to what happens in other industries. For Arnett's sake, he needs to succeed at State because this isn't good for his reputation. Syracuse clearly wasn't his first choice and that's fine, but don't accept it. He forces the institution to scramble right before NSD and pivot their finite resources towards his replacement. It also reflects poorly on Rocky Long who Dino sought out and confided in when he made this hire.

Teams re-hire coaches that were on staff for cover ups of heinous crimes, recruiting players that are off the charts high risk for violent acts and that would leave at the hint of more money.

Arnett will be coaching after MSU regardless of what happens. Rocky Long is retiring, correct? I'm sure he'll be fine.

Wording tells me that there’s no signature. Hope I’m wrong.

Just abysmally disappointing

Keep in mind. Wildhack is a relatively new AD and Babers has worked with a lot of the same people. He also hasn’t hired a lot of up and coming hot coaches. Just sayin’

doesn't matter if he signed a contract or not. if msu wanted him, they were going to get him, buy out or not. a snap of the fingers and an additional $500k would appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom