Zack Mahoney has to prove he's worthy of a scholarship all over again | Syracusefan.com

Zack Mahoney has to prove he's worthy of a scholarship all over again

I kind of assumed this was a given that he would have to prove to the new staff he deserves one

The way he handles this is even more reason why I like the kid and why he is deserving. He doesn't assume or complain he just does what is asked of him. The kid did win a ACC game for us. That was a important win because of the NE rivalry/ recruiting. I do understand the process and Dino and his staff have to evaluated him to see if its worth giving him a scholarship for the next two years.

Last edited:
I have zero problem with it. He's s tough kid who will be a leader no matter what. Babers may not give him a scholarship, but he will earn his respect.

I think he deserves it ... anyone who starts multiple games should get one.

So Shafer waited until it didn't matter to give him an empty promise? WTH? He didn't deserve one before BC? Or if he lost? What was the threshold? LOL

For the record, Zach, if SU hired me I would've personally paid your way.

I think he deserves it ... anyone who starts multiple games should get one.

So Shafer waited until it didn't matter to give him an empty promise? WTH? He didn't deserve one before BC? Or if he lost? What was the threshold? LOL

For the record, Zach, if SU hired me I would've personally paid your way.
I get where you are coming from, but a few things off about your statement. FHCSS could not give him a scholarship mid season and if you where hired to be the head coach you could not pay for a kid to go to school and play football for you.

I get where you are coming from, but a few things off about your statement. FHCSS could not give him a scholarship mid season and if you where hired to be the head coach you could not pay for a kid to go to school and play football for you.
I think we knew that, but the sentiment is one we all share.

Yeah, that was just my attempt at an empty promise. I don't think SU is planning on hiring me as their football coach.

FHCSS couldn't give him a scholly mid-season but he sure could've told him its coming. Not wait until he got fired. Its the old coulda, shoulda, woulda.

I would have to think based on what he did here last season he could get a scholarship elsewhere, yeah?

I would have to think based on what he did here last season he could get a scholarship elsewhere, yeah?
He could certainly drop down a level and play right away.

This is seriously a situation where Dino does need to look at the LSU and Clemson film. Half the battle of being a successful young QB is not crapping your diaper in game situations, especially against 2 FCS powerhouses! Being a Siena hoops fan, as Bill Rafferty would say, the kid has ONIONS. ...and smarts and thats a great start for a QB. Full disclosure: OK , I am routing for the kid, especially after sitting next to his attractive mom at the spring game last year who took a train in from Indiana. Kudos to mom! Go Cuse!

This is seriously a situation where Dino does need to look at the LSU and Clemson film. Half the battle of being a successful young QB is not crapping your diaper in game situations, especially against 2 FCS powerhouses! Being a Siena hoops fan, as Bill Rafferty would say, the kid has ONIONS. ...and smarts and thats a great start for a QB. Full disclosure: OK , I am routing for the kid, especially after sitting next to his attractive mom at the spring game last year who took a train in from Indiana. Kudos to mom! Go Cuse!
I am rooting for him also, but his skill set probably doesn't fit the Babers system. Some coaches with unique systems believe that they can plug certain types into their system and succeed. Tom Landry was a good example. When Roger Staubach told Landry he was retiring, he said he knew Landry was unconcerned because he would just plug another QB into his system.

Actually, he could have done it. I believe SU was under the 85 limit, so after the LSU game, Shafer could have signed the scholarship papers. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a deadline for placing a walk-on on scholarship, even if it's only going to be effective at the start of the next semester.

They will do the right thing and make it a youtube worthy video of giving him the scholarship. He's our second best QB on the roster right now and had balls of steel to get into those two games and performing.

First off, Zack seems like just a tremendous kid. And, he did save our @$$e$ due to a lack of depth last year. But, he'll need to earn a scholarship with the new staff amongst all the other walk-ons.

There's guys who've been walk-ons here at Syracuse for 4 years on the roster, they deserve a scholly too IMO. Dino's doing it the right way. Make all of them compete to earn the extra schollies.

And, as good of a kid as Zack is, he's not our 2nd best QB on the roster. 3rd possibly by default, likely 4th. Good athlete, no doubt about it, but accuracy is as weak as I've seen at the P5 level and arm strength isn't all that strong either. The way Baber's offense spreads the field, are you confident in him throwing a corner or deep out from the opposite hash?

Again, seems like a phenomenal kid, but, he's not the only one on the roster, just the one we've had the most exposure to. And I understand he got in games and had some success, that should count for something, and it did. Unfortunately it was just with the old staff.

elimunelson said:
They will do the right thing and make it a youtube worthy video of giving him the scholarship. He's our second best QB on the roster right now and had balls of steel to get into those two games and performing.

He was the 2nd best running Lester's O. He might be 3 or 4 in Babers.

Other than the coaches, Mahoney was the biggest casualty of the coaching change. I hate the "he doesn't have the accuracy" argument. The kid has been a QB for 2 years? Neither year in a system which would develop that skill set. Given more time you just never know with this kid. He's a tough competitor. And that's just about the #1 requirement of a QB in my opinion. I hope he earns a scholarship all over again. Consider me a fan of ZM's.

First off, Zack seems like just a tremendous kid. And, he did save our @$$e$ due to a lack of depth last year. But, he'll need to earn a scholarship with the new staff amongst all the other walk-ons.

There's guys who've been walk-ons here at Syracuse for 4 years on the roster, they deserve a scholly too IMO. Dino's doing it the right way. Make all of them compete to earn the extra schollies.

And, as good of a kid as Zack is, he's not our 2nd best QB on the roster. 3rd possibly by default, likely 4th. Good athlete, no doubt about it, but accuracy is as weak as I've seen at the P5 level and arm strength isn't all that strong either. The way Baber's offense spreads the field, are you confident in him throwing a corner or deep out from the opposite hash?

Again, seems like a phenomenal kid, but, he's not the only one on the roster, just the one we've had the most exposure to. And I understand he got in games and had some success, that should count for something, and it did. Unfortunately it was just with the old staff.
That's a really good point about the other walk ins that have also worked hard for a long time that we don't know yet because circumstances didn't work out such that they saw the field. That's not a knock on Mahoney. He made the most of his playing time. It is a big team though with a lot of other guys that have worked hard and sacrificed without anywhere close to similar rewards.

If that was the criteria for a Scholarship then no defensive player in those games would warrant one

Give one to jacob hill and shemus shanely then to. or kleinberg. why not.

I hope he can pull it off.

That said, loyalty to friends, entrenched employees, and players got Scott Shafer fired. Babers cleaned house for a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom