Zero ball handling. | Syracusefan.com

Zero ball handling.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Lot of focus on the poor 3 point defense and lack of offensive execution. Fine. However a major source of the offensive woes is an inability to simply dribble the ball against any degree of pressure. Hughes, Howard, Battle, were dribbling balls off their feet all night. Im not even going to count OB as I don't expect him to be adept with the handle, but those three guys should be serviceable at least. The Duke game was headed this way as well until we got bailed out by an injury. We need to recruit some players who are steady with the ball. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Watching Carey handle the rock next season is going to be a breath of fresh air after watching FH for the last 3 years.

Oh, I don't know about that..Carey looks pretty bad vs pressure. this is not the sort of thing you go from terrible at to great at.
I think the matchup vs Tre Jones was a shock to his system. I'm sure he thought it was an opportunity to show his worth, but Tre looked like he could have had 8 steals vs Carey, had he not been hurt.

I think the matchup vs Tre Jones was a shock to his system. I'm sure he thought it was an opportunity to show his worth, but Tre looked like he could have had 8 steals vs Carey, had he not been hurt.

I think we won the Duke game because of that injury. We’ll see if I have an argument when they come to the Dome...

This supports my argument that you can’t play Hughes at the 2 next year. He doesn’t have the handle to play the 2. He’s a SF. Brissett and Hughes will man the forward spots again. Guerrier will come off the bench.

Watching Carey handle the rock next season is going to be a breath of fresh air after watching FH for the last 3 years.
I hope you're right, but he was pretty loose with the ball last night as well.

When pressure includes constant hand checking, bumping, and hip checking, any ball handlers will struggle. Remember when NBA finals games used to have scores in the 60s and 70s when they let them play “defense” like that?

Lot of focus on the poor 3 point defense and lack of offensive execution. Fine. However a major source of the offensive woes is an inability to simply dribble the ball against any degree of pressure. Hughes, Howard, Battle, were dribbling balls off their feet all night. Im not even going to count OB as I don't expect him to be adept with the handle, but those three guys should be serviceable at least. The Duke game was headed this way as well until we got bailed out by an injury. We need to recruit some players who are steady with the ball. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Recruit skill over length / athleticism.

Lot of focus on the poor 3 point defense
Bad 3 pt defense almost always translates to bad post defense. I don’t think there was a single possession where we denied the post. If there was a statistic for post entry % then we officially bottomed out.

Worst part of it is- we had a distinct height advantage- which goes to show that smart ball movement will create the passing angles necessary to exploit a zone. Give props to curly.

Carey is a human turnover. He has no left hand and I can’t ever remember a guard getting stripped as much as Carey. I haven’t seen Carey able to do anything on the offense end of the floor. His best asset is his ability to rebound. You don’t need to guard him. He is another guard who has no idea how to run a team.

Recruit skill over length / athleticism.
we did that with girard and with buddy will be interesting to see how that plays out. so far so good with buddy.

Howard's handle was always suspect. Carey's is also. All offseason he needs to work on tightening it up along with doing drills where he is pressured coming up the court.

Unlike Howard, Carey has the foot speed and athleticism to be an effective PG. He’ll be fine. I look forward to bumping this thread next year and see y’all eat some crow.

Unlike Howard, Carey has the foot speed and athleticism to be an effective PG. He’ll be fine. I look forward to bumping this thread next year and see y’all eat some crow.

Foot speed and athleticism, sure.

The handle needs to tighten up a bit.

The decision making/mentality/court vision - not so sure. I guess it depends on who he’s in the game with.

VT was really whipping the ball around. Very impressive. My nine year old wondered why we don’t do that.

I mean...we did against Miami. Maybe not quite like that, but still pretty good.

Depends on what defense the opponent plays.

I mean...we did against Miami. Maybe not quite like that, but still pretty good.

Depends on what defense the opponent plays.
You’re right it was good. But not like that.

Foot speed and athleticism, sure.

The handle needs to tighten up a bit.

The decision making/mentality/court vision - not so sure. I guess it depends on who he’s in the game with.

OK that’s fair. But I still say a sophomore Carey will be better than FH.

At least at the pg & c spots.

Our shooting guards and forwards are usually pretty legit in skill and length/athleticism, but a huge issue lately is the lack of a true point guard and zero skill at the C position.

Agreed. Would we recruit Jonny Flynn and Arinze Onuaku anymore?

Hope so.

A quick, dynamic, good PG, and a Center with a back to the basket game...PLEASE.

Being dead in the water in half our games on offense because we play with 2 shooting guards, 2 SF’s, and a PF has to stop.

The more egregiously sloppy Jalen is, the more he'll likely improve on that. I welcome a "playgroundesque" guard again, in the mold of Pearl or Sherm (not saying Jalen is on that level). But even Sherm started out messy as a Freshman, and got yanked plenty. That playground-style guard takes longer to discipline and tighten up, of course.

Still would prefer a Jason Hart-type at the point; especially over the usual 6-foot-5 swingman variety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom