Zion got paid to go to Duke | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Zion got paid to go to Duke

its amazing to me too.

but why? i think if you look at it as a microcosm of american society as a whole...the picture (and the future) looks very bleak.
The officiating is never corrupt!! I can still see Zion barreling down the lane and bowling over Sidibe and a blocking foul is called.

Most players get paid to go to Duke. They get a rate and hush money. The "Brotherhood" they talk about all the time is where they all have agreed that they won't tell no matter who comes knocking on the door

If Zion admits he got paid it shouldn’t matter if Coach K knew or not according to the NCAA rules.
Ignorance isn’t a defense.
Duke should lose a minimum of 12 scholarships, postseason ban, vacate wins and a suspension.
I still can’t believe the punishment that piece of chit organization gave us for misdemeanors.

Could Zion be charged with a crime or is this just a civil matter?

Duke was smarter than to pay him directly, so he will testify that no, Duke did not pay him and all will be well. They won't ask about money being funneled from Duke to a 3rd party to Zion.

Could Zion be charged with a crime or is this just a civil matter?
This is a civil case.
Per the UNC-CHeat board, this line of questioning would nullify the applicability if the NC law that requires all sports agents who contact amateurs to be registered when this company wasn't. However, if they can show he took illicit payments, they he's not an amateur and the case totally belongs in FL because the NC law wouldn't apply.

It’s an interesting argument between the attorneys. I have a bad feeling an appeal will go Zion’s way. Ford’s attorney seems to rely on characterizing Zion as having been “ineligible” to compete in the NCAA. But he was never designated ineligible. Can you say he was ineligible in retrospect? If the allegations are true, he should have been ineligible, but Should and What Was are two different things. Also, if he had been ineligible, he wouldn’t have signed the same contract with Ford, if he even would have signed with ford at all. The other thing is, if Zion is able to be retroactively deemed ineligible based on having accepted benefits, then isn’t the whole of the NCAA—all of its results—invalid, since it can reasonably be presumed that many more players received benefits?

Duke was smarter than to pay him directly, so he will testify that no, Duke did not pay him and all will be well. They won't ask about money being funneled from Duke to a 3rd party to Zion.
Did you see the list of questions? They weren’t so narrowly constructed as that.

• Who owned the house at which Sharonda Sampson and Lee Anderson (your mother and step-father, respectively) lived during the time that you attended Duke?
  • Fully state all facts that show how Sharonda Sampson and Lee Anderson … found and paid for the house in which they lived during the time that you attended Duke.
  • Identify by landlord name, address, telephone number, and monthly rental rate, the property that you and your family lived in during your attendance of Duke University.
  • Before attending Duke University did you, or anyone acting on your behalf, including, but not limited to, Sharonda Sampson, Lee Anderson, Sharonda Sampson Consulting, or any other person or intermediary) directly or indirectly (through persons on your behalf) accept money, benefits, favors or other things of value to induce or incentivize you to select Duke University as your college for undergraduate study?
  • Before attending Duke University did you, or anyone acting on your behalf, including, but not limited to, Sharonda Sampson, Lee Anderson, Sharonda Sampson Consulting, or any other person or intermediary) directly or indirectly (through persons on your behalf) accept money, benefits, favors or other things of value to induce or incentivize you to use and/or wear Nike tennis shoes and other products?
  • Before attending Duke University did you, or anyone acting on your behalf, including, but not limited to, Sharonda Sampson, Lee Anderson, Sharonda Sampson Consulting, or any other person or intermediary) directly or indirectly (through persons on your behalf) accept money, benefits, favors or other things of value to induce or incentivize you to use and/or wear Adidas tennis shoes and other products?”
This may have been the first set. I think they were amended or supplemented.

Zion’s attorney is probably working to get the questions limited or changed. I assume it’s not an all or nothing deal—that there will be arguments about he legitimacy of each word.

I wonder who wrote these. Is this an age thing or a southern thing? “Nike tennis shoes,” “Adidas tennis shoes.”

Last edited:
...Can you say he was ineligible in retrospect? If the allegations are true, he should have been ineligible, but Should and What Was are two different things. Also, if he had been ineligible, he wouldn’t have signed the same contract with Ford, if he even would have signed with ford at all. If Zion is able to be retroactively deemed ineligible based on having accepted benefits, then isn’t the whole of the NCAA—all of its results—invalid, since it can reasonably be presumed that many more players received benefits?
They need Otter to plead their case:
"And if it can be reasonably presumed that many more players received benefits, isn't that an indictment of the entire athletic system as a whole? Well, I don't know about you, but I'm not gonna stand here and listen to you badmouth, the United States of America. Gentlemen"!
1591128583226.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom