Zion got paid to go to Duke | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Zion got paid to go to Duke

I doubt anyone involved here is sided with the angels, but I will be sort of surprised if this case ever reaches the point where Krzyzewski is deposed. If he is deposed, the deposition will never see the light of day, much less the insides of a courtroom. IMO, all this is simply leverage by Prime Sports Marketing (and Gina Ford) to force Williamson to settle out of court. It won't be for $100 million, but it will be a tidy sum as those who would prefer everything stay in the dark will be able to afford that.

Yeah, there’s usually a couple of PayPalCal apologists who remind us the “he doesn’t need to cheat”, and any allusion of him doing so is just sour grapes. Seriously.
SMDH
I think there are some of 'us' who believe there can be more than one reason why a kid makes a choice like that. No one is reasonably swearing that Cal isn't cheating somehow. But, if it were as cut and dried as you make it seem, is the entire roster being paid? Did they each choose Kentucky because Kentucky offered a higher 'bid' than any other school? Sincere question—I'd like to know how it would work in such a binary way.

And then, the sour grapes argument—why wouldn't it be used against us, as well? Just because recruiting has been down for a period? Just because we don't get five five-stars per year? Wouldn't that be more of an indication that we paid Dior? Somewhere, someone from a 'lesser' school is crying 'sour grapes' about one of our recruits. How'd we swindle Battle away from Michigan? How'd we get The New Balance kid to say he was coming to us? The Ohio State forum prolly says we're working with 'shadow' air conditioner money. [Just not enough of it, I guess.]

Agree question is for how much. Zion and his family certainly weren't naive to the system huh?
The Duke backers will pony up, as will his new agents. They might even cut her in for a piece of future commissions. Won't cost Zion. That's bad PR in recruiting for Duke.

I can't believe this. I thought he fell in love with the brotherhood.
I dunno—you can get paid to go to work, and have affection for your colleagues, no?
:confused:

so sad that nobody can do anything regarding the nonsense and hypocrisy of the ncaa.

I think that Coach K is about as close as you could possibly come to Pete Bell from Blue Chips with respect to all of this unsavory crap. He might fancy himself pure and may not have direct involvement, but like Bell he is by association / tacit knowledge 100% guilty.

I'm just tired of the media narrative about the Duke program being "clean" and above the fray. They did the same thing artificially hailing Ped State as "the great experiment."

I don’t know why everyone is acting like the media claims duke is clean .. that was 1990s stuff

Yeah but 2 kids getting paid 500 dollars for no show jobs at a local YMCA, parents of kids not getting phone calls when their kids failed marijuana tests, and one tutor writing a paper for an ESL student is worth a postseason ban and 12 scholarships lost.

It was just completing a bibliography in the waning moments before a midnight deadline as I recall. For a paper that was essentially an autobiography which is double hilarious.

I think there are some of 'us' who believe there can be more than one reason why a kid makes a choice like that. No one is reasonably swearing that Cal isn't cheating somehow. But, if it were as cut and dried as you make it seem, is the entire roster being paid? Did they each choose Kentucky because Kentucky offered a higher 'bid' than any other school? Sincere question—I'd like to know how it would work in such a binary way.

And then, the sour grapes argument—why wouldn't it be used against us, as well? Just because recruiting has been down for a period? Just because we don't get five five-stars per year? Wouldn't that be more of an indication that we paid Dior? Somewhere, someone from a 'lesser' school is crying 'sour grapes' about one of our recruits. How'd we swindle Battle away from Michigan? How'd we get The New Balance kid to say he was coming to us? The Ohio State forum prolly says we're working with 'shadow' air conditioner money. [Just not enough of it, I guess.]
Dude, it’s really not that hard, or that deep.
Ask UMass & Memphis about PayPalCal’s dubious past, that what im basing it on.
Cal is still cheating, he’s just gotten much better at it.
I’ll leave u with this quote from Dr. Phil, at his most down-homey and simplistic:
“The best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior”.
Nuff said.

Yeah, there’s usually a couple of PayPalCal apologists who remind us the “he doesn’t need to cheat”, and any allusion of him doing so is just sour grapes. Seriously.
SMDH

TBF it’s only sour grapes 99 percent of the time.

Maybe 97 if I’m being charitable.

I’ll leave u with this quote from Dr. Phil, at his most down-homey and simplistic:
Nuff said.
I agree—it's not that deep. But, you just ignored a bunch of questions in order to make it less deep.
No matter—i'm not defending Cal or K. I'm just suggesting there are more factors involved, and that the same aspersions being cast from this site against Cal and K are being cast against us from other sites.

Either way—we both, i'm sure, hope the cheaters get nailed. Unfortunately, with the way the NCAA seems to be leaning, it's all just going to get dirtier and murkier, and then there will be an excuse not to penalize the ones who are now perverting the system.

Please John don’t give the NCAA a reason to take it out on us again...
Actually it happens in every profession that includes an unpaid internship or clinical. The clinic and hospital I did my clinicals at were able to schedule more patients because of my presence. It's all perfectly legal as long as medicare guidelines are followed. Not only did I not get paid, I had to pay tuition to participate in those clinicals. The "athlete is victim" mentality is taken too far.

If this serves to demonstrate anything, it's just how deep the corruption is, and just how hard it is to compete as a clean program. I may be a newbie, but I have read tons of posts with people complaining about how hard it is for Syracuse to recruit these days. Well... um... I think there is a reason for that. It's pretty hard to get five star guys to come when we can't pay without getting caught, and other schools get away with murder.

It's so totally bullshit. I admire JB's tenacity and refusal to lay down to the tyrants of the NCAA. It's utterly absurd how deep the corruption is. I think we should all give JB a round of applause that he has managed to keep the program relevant without cheating. It's almost amazing when you think about it.

I mean we may lose another recruit (Frank Anselem) to Western freaking Kentucky!!! And not one bit of it will be JB's fault. Just wanted to say that now... before FA's decision, and everyone freaks out.
its amazing to me too.

but why? i think if you look at it as a microcosm of american society as a whole...the picture (and the future) looks very bleak.

Don't forget that Kentucky was caught cheating well before Cal got there - a match made in Kentucky heaven.

Nuff said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom