Zion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zion

Lets remember Embiid hardly played his first couple of seasons and that turned out quite well for Philly.

Zion is high risk high reward. He is a bona fide superstar when healthy. I dont know enough about the nature of his problems to say if an Embiid type health recovery is possible or even likely.

As a Knick fan I would only want him for the "right" price, whatever that might be. If I was Knicks and traded for him, I would limit him to 20 MPG initially and hope it could be ramped up a bit for the playoffs.

I think the "problem" is that he weighs ~270 pounds, and plays above the rim. He's a freak -- but it puts a lot of wear and tear on his body, given how heavy he is.

Not that it's exactly the same, but kind of similar to what eventually happened to Shaq playing so heavy.

Agree 100% that he is high reward. The question is, does any team want to max contract a superstar who can't suit up? Or that you can only get somewhere around him being available for ~50% of the games?

I believe [and this is just based upon what I recall] that Embiid was different, because his physical issues when he was drafted was viewed as a short term issue. So, he wouldn't provide much value year 1, but that he'd recover. It was more about not getting value right away from a #1 pick, versus his long term prognosis / health.

Lets remember Embiid hardly played his first couple of seasons and that turned out quite well for Philly.

Zion is high risk high reward. He is a bona fide superstar when healthy. I dont know enough about the nature of his problems to say if an Embiid type health recovery is possible or even likely.

As a Knick fan I would only want him for the "right" price, whatever that might be. If I was Knicks and traded for him, I would limit him to 20 MPG initially and hope it could be ramped up a bit for the playoffs.
He's played 114 of a possible 328 games. 29 of the last 164 and keeps getting fatter.

20 mpg on someone who was suppose to be a franchise player is crazy for what anyone would have to give up.

He's played 114 of a possible 328 games. 29 of the last 164 and keeps getting fatter.

20 mpg on someone who was suppose to be a franchise player is crazy for what anyone would have to give up

Yep… also this was entirely predictable. He needs to play closer to 240 or so to have any hope if staying healthy but he doesn’t have the self discipline to do it. As a Knicks fan I was happy they never got the chance to draft him and hope they continue to stay away from him… he’s not much of an upgrade from Randle if he can’t stay healthy.

Yep… also this was entirely predictable. He needs to play closer to 240 or so to have any hope if staying healthy but he doesn’t have the self discipline to do it. As a Knicks fan I was happy they never got the chance to draft him and hope they continue to stay away from him… he’s not much of an upgrade from Randle if he can’t stay healthy.

Agree 100% about it being predictable. Heck, he got hurt during his 1 season at Duke.

You should have seen what I was originally going to type instead of condom.

948f9efdcea541a1e8f77ab3f7ce2cf87a21182e6b8e81ec56ae4a949480cd5a.jpg

Neworleans thought they were lucky when they got him...cant blame em...but wow they were wrong on that one.

This right here. I know many folks probably others on here called it out too early on. You can't play at that size and weight the way he does without constant risk to injury. It's played out just that way. It's sad that the success has him headed down the Tiger Woods route, without the incredible success to go with.

This is one of the few posts in board history that made me feel all the response emotions simultaneously.

"Dislike" "Like" "Love" "Haha" "Wow" "Don't Like" "Angry."
"Jealous" was missing?

I can honestly say that I have never met a girl who says their mother has told them that lol
Dude got conned into thinking that's normal. :(

Still he’s made a ton of money I had thought he was going to be a terrific player in the NBA but he can’t seem to get his weight under control

Ok. We’re calling out Zion for cheating on his girlfriend? I guess in the macro you could. But in terms of him being an NBA player? We talkin’NBA here. The only guy left would be AC Green
Doug Christie

Zion was in great shape when he started the season last year. Could or should he be playing at 260 as opposed to a shade under 285, yeah most likely. His new contract is very clear that he needs to be under 285. I think his issue is his commitment to recovery, fitness and nutrition when the season starts and I think CJ McCollum and JJ Reddick has been pretty vocal on this for quite some time. even if he stays healthy Zion's career is most likely over by the time he is 30, I would imagine this will be his last big contract

Whether or not he should be traded is up to David Griffin and the Pelicans. They know more than anybody what would surprise me more is if they traded Ingram. BI who has had health issues himself, never says a word, works hard, does the work and quietly has been a team leader that all the younger guys try to emulate. Murphy, Herb Jones, Alvarado, Dyson Daniels and Naji Marshall all look up to him and respect him. I think CJ talks a lot but BI is the glue. BI also was great in the playoff series vs Phoenix and great the last 30 games of this past season. He's quiet, from the South and is a pro and never said one word about playing in New Orleans. He does not have an entourage and really loves the game

The stuff in his personal life? Is what it is, not for me personally but if he plays 65 games this year and averages 27/8/5 and above 65% FG percentage nobody will really care. It's not a good look but not really uncommon. Zion also needs to start speaking up and stop letting his step dad speak for him. He's 22 years old.

I think in in 2 years BI, CJ and Zion have played 12 games together. That's the biggest issue. Team has talent and when somewhat healthy should be a top 5-6 team in the West. But big IF though

Personally, if I had to guess I think they trade Jonas V at the center position and try to get more athletic there and Zion and BI stay but between Zion or BI I think Zion goes. No denying that Murphy is coming on though and works hard, great kid too and a logical replacement for BI in a couple years when his contract runs out. They really can't keep the team together for much more than this year anyway with the new CBA and New Orleans will most likely not go into the luxury tax unless the team has a viable path to make a run at at title which given their health history looks very unlikely

If the Pels can get Scoot for Zion I think you go for it not sure how likely that is. Still a big risk though because IMO Zion when healthy is a top 10 player in the NBA but may be best for both parties to get a fresh start

Last edited:
It is sort of crazy how much more Zion will make over the next 3 years. I want Randle dealt because I think we know the Knicks ceiling with him but his production for under 30 mill per is pretty tough to drop.

They $ is the $. I mean look at Beal's contract and what is Phoenix going to do in 2 years when he is slated to make 55 mil with a player option for the last year at 57 mil and he still has a no trade clause. The Zion contract at least has some protection in it and some stipulations with regard to his health.

When randle and zion are healthy there is no comparison. The offense can run through Zion and he is actually a very good passer. The pick and roll that he and JJ ran his 2nd year under Van Gundy was crazy/ This year when BI was out and they went back to point Zion the looks that the other 4 on the court were getting were crazy. Trey Murphy and Cj were getting a ton of wide open looks from 3, cutters getting easy looks etc

If you want to see what peak Zion would look like it would be December of last year there were two games in particular between Christmas and New Years in New Orleans. The Pels beat Minnesota and the 76ers where he was best player on the court and played solid defense as well. CJ had 11 3's I think versus the sixers on great looks and Zion was unguardable getting 2 to 3 guys thrown at him and he just kept finding open guys but that's the issue the sample size is just way too small for a guy heading into his 5th year.

The issue with Zion vs an Embiid is that 1) Embiid’s injuries were solely what held him back and 2) Embiid rehabbed and got it back together.

Zion’s effectiveness is based on his size x athleticism. It was always that he was basically a defensive end that could jump out of the gym.

If he loses either his extraterrestrial athleticism due to chronic injury or not controlling his weight, he becomes a lot less effective.

He’s basically an undersized big at that point.

When he’s on, he’s amazing. No doubt. But it’s really scary to think that he’s been injured since Duke, he’s not a workout warrior and, from the rumors, he’s not even that driven during rehab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom