zone The game has passed JB by | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

zone The game has passed JB by

Efficient isn't athletic. Teams that can't dribble penetrate a zone nor lob over it will struggle if they aren't on fire from three. Coach Beoheim himself talks about this in his 2-3 Zone DVD.
They were 12 for 24 from 3 I think. That is on fire in my book. They have terrific shooters and even with those, our zone made them work and was a asset in the win.

They were 12 for24 from 3 I think. That is on fire in my book.

And the only reason it was still even close. Imagine if they only went 9 for 24.

Thanks for helping my point, though. Because of their lack of athletic speed on the perimeter or ability for their bigs to play around our collapsing on them under the rim, Virginia was reduced to nothing but three-pointers.

Efficient isn't athletic. Teams that can't dribble penetrate a zone nor lob over it will struggle if they aren't on fire from three. Coach Beoheim himself talks about this in his 2-3 Zone DVD.
but who cares? They're a really good team, easily one of the best in the country - were a last second tip in on the road last week against arguably the best team in the country - look what they did to V.Tech's zone the other night - not sure why you're going out of your way to poo-poo a tremendous 2nd half defensive performance

Well for 20 minutes or so...

I actually thought the zone looked much better today even though UVA numbers were good. They went about 8 minutes without 1 good look.
UVA went about 9 minutes of game time from the end of the first half into the second half without scoring a single point, so yeah, I'd say the zone was a pretty big factor in the win today.

And the only reason it was still even close. Imagine if they only went 9 for 24.

Thanks for helping my point, though. Because of their lack of athletic speed on the perimeter or ability for their bigs to play around our collapsing on them under the rim, Virginia was reduced to nothing but three-pointers.
?? You mean they played to their strength and that is bad? They are great shooters. SMH I guess everyone should play 2-3 against them.

but who cares? They're a really good team, easily one of the best in the country - were a last second tip in on the road last week against arguably the best team in the country - look what they did to V.Tech's zone the other night - not sure why you're going out of your way to poo-poo a tremendous 2nd half defensive performance
For some reason, in this thread, he has gone way out of his way to try and take some value out of a great Syracuse win.

UVA went about 9 minutes of game time from the end of the first half into the second half without scoring a single point, so yeah, I'd say the zone was a pretty big factor in the win today.
Yep. Why looking at stats doesn't always tell the story.

?? You mean they played to their strength and that is bad? They are great shooters. SMH I guess everyone should play 2-3 against them.

Going to be honest--not to be argumentative, but because I truly am trying to understand--I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you suggesting that Virginia should have been better on offense because they couldn't dribble the ball to the hoop, pass over the top to their bigs over the rim for jams, or penetrate the gaps to set up good threes simply because they were forced to shoot threes? Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if that is the point, it seems to assume all three-point shots are equally good. We know that's not true.

Any offense that is reduced to one dimension only is probably not as effective. I assume we can agree on this?

Going to be honest--not to be argumentative, but because I truly am trying to understand--I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you suggesting that Virginia should have been better on offense because they couldn't dribble the ball to the hoop, pass over the top to their bigs over the rim for jams, or penetrate the gaps to set up good threes simply because they were forced to shoot threes? Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if that is the point, it seems to assume all three-point shots are equally good. We know that's not true.

Any offense that is reduced to one dimension only is probably not as effective. I assume we can agree on this?
We can agree that we did that to them. And we had a great victory. Which I am enjoying and as pearl pointed out, you seem to be trying to take something away from. For me, we had that all season until the last couple of weeks. There are days to just enjoy yourself. This is sure one of them.

We can agree that we did that to them. And we had a great victory. Which I am enjoying and as pearl pointed out, you seem to be trying to take something away from. For me, we had that all season until the last couple of weeks. There are days to just enjoy yourself. This is sure one of them.
Days like this are a reminder that it's wise to let seasons (and games) play themselves out.

For some reason, in this thread, he has gone way out of his way to try and take some value out of a great Syracuse win.

I'm quite happy for the kids and the coaches. They got a good win today--one they needed. However, the original post in this thread was not "let's celebrate a good win together, people." It was a provocative post designed to rub a win in the face of those that criticized Boeheim when the team was down.

My posts last week and today are consistent: they looked at specific, concrete examples and stats to show that the teams in the top 10 are not that much better than teams like us. The difference between those teams that are safely in the dance and those scratching to get in just isn't that great.

Kansas showed, and Arizona is showing, that to be true, too.

I'm quite happy for the kids and the coaches. They got a good win today--one they needed. However, the original post in this thread was not "let's celebrate a good win together, people." It was a provocative post designed to rub a win in the face of those that criticized Boeheim when the team was down.

My posts last week and today are consistent: they looked at specific, concrete examples and stats to show that the teams in the top 10 are not that much better than teams like us. The difference between those teams that are safely in the dance and those scratching to get in just isn't that great.

Kansas showed, and Arizona is showing, that to be true, too.
To each his own but if you came on the board after the Fla St game with the intent to damper peoples enthusiasm by showing the team faults that you saw in the game, like today, that confuses me. We all know we have weaknesses. We all know what they are. They are discussed every day. I don't think it is out of line to celebrate wins like this.

To each his own but if you came on the board after the Fla St game with the intent to damper peoples enthusiasm by showing the team faults that you saw in the game, like today, that confuses me. We all know we have weaknesses. We all know what they are. They are discussed every day. I don't think it is out of line to celebrate wins like this.
Imo everyone has some weaknesses this year. I really think another 6-11 seed could make the FF again this year...might as well be SU....lol

Agreed. Perhaps a better way to enjoy is to not attack others on the board when we win a big game.

I wasn't and am not in the camp at which you seemed to aim this thread. I have actually defended Coach Boeheim many times on this board.

However, there seems to be an awful lot of bullying on this board lately, and I find that sad. I also find that a lot of arguments are made and then not supported with concrete evidence, but the arguers expect the readers to accept the opinions as fact. If they don't, they are somehow "not real fans."

I think a well-rounded and reasoned examination of the topic being discussed is far better than provocative thread-starters. That's all I will say on it.

I genuinely hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, Dasher. :)

Agreed. Perhaps a better way to enjoy is to not attack others on the board when we win a big game.

I wasn't and am not in the camp at which you seemed to aim this thread. I have actually defended Coach Boeheim many times on this board.

However, there seems to be an awful lot of bullying on this board lately, and I find that sad. I also find that a lot of arguments are made and then not supported with concrete evidence, but the arguers expect the readers to accept the opinions as fact. If they don't, they are somehow "not real fans."

I think a well-rounded and reasoned examination of the topic being discussed is far better than provocative thread-starters. That's all I will say on it.

I genuinely hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, Dasher. :)
I guess I took smug in the wrong way. Enjoy your weekend as well

The OP's post was warranted imo. Reading all the stuff on here, on his points, all season being the reason. But it's also really cool to see how many came out and said they'd gladly eat the crow, credit where it's due. From people sticking up for the staff at all criticism, and being thin skinned, on one side, to the other side, people saying the game has passed JB bye, and that everyone's figured out the zone. The pendulum swings. It's cyclical I guess.

"Everyone spread out and whoever has the ball go score."

If only this board had that kind of basketball IQ.

On my CYO team I'm helping coach we call that play "burrito".

Did you see a bunch of lobs for dunks? I didn't.

Did you see a bunch of dribble drives that created havoc against the zone? I didn't.

Did you see elite college athletes on Virginia? I certainly didn't.

I saw a slow-footed point guard, a big named Salt who couldn't jump, and two freshmen that looked like good shooters, but physically unable to drive the ball.

Sorry to bust your pre-determined narrative with concrete examples, though. :rolleyes:
Wow, Virginia must be awful! Have they won a game yet this season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom