Benny is back | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Benny is back

Talking so candidly (and a little shamed) about not being there for his teammates and pouting on the bench - wow! Someone has been a good psychologist for Benny (or a coach). Impressive.
Yeah I’ve never seen anything like that/this being so forward and open like that. Live ever. Wow. Good for him with his personal growth and evolution on his way to success in the game of life, good for us as fans watching his personal and then (his/our) teams success as well. Just wow and cool

Agree with the premise here but Benny was in the high 20s until his last couple games when he like 6 of 9 or something. So I’m not sure he’s really a 40% three point shooter. That said, if he’s aggressive and making plays all over the place, his taking an open three from time to time is fine with me
Williams had a terrible start to the year with his shooting. His hot steak in the last five games brought him up dramatically.

However, looking at the actual game play, you'll notice two things about Williams' improvement that indicate it might be a longer term improvement, and not a fluke.

First, his shot started looking better, he was setting his feet better, his form looked better, and the ball had a nicer arc and rotation coming out of his hands.

Secondly, he was taking better shots. When he gets his feet set on the catch and shoot, his percentage is much much better than when he's trying to take a step back or off the dribble three. Forget about the stupid fade away three! :(

Between his improved mechanics and shot selection, I think he might be closer to the guy at the end of the year than the one who was struggling with everything the first 25 games.

I know it was only one game, but this is the Benny Williams I was hoping for when I predicted a great first season for Red.

One of his nice baskets mid/late in the second half kind of worried me - it was a line drive from the elbow with very little arc/lift.

Not sure he can do that over bigger forwards.
I remember that basket... He was way over the basket with his release point. You can shoot line drives when you're shooting down at the basket. :)

I remember that basket... He was way over the basket with his release point. You can shoot line drives when you're shooting down at the basket. :)
It’s definitely a different perspective than most of us have ever shot from. I do wish he would learn to release a little more softly with some arc.

However, looking at the actual game play, you'll notice two things about Williams' improvement that indicate it might be a longer term improvement, and not a fluke.
For me, and I'm very tempered in my expectations with him going forward, BUT, if anything indicates to me he is fixed for the long term, it has nothing to do with his shooting at all. His attack on the game and effort is what I see lasting. Him snatching boards, determined he's the only one that's coming away with a loose ball on the floor. Oh and finding his teammates. That's the stuff that's sustainable when his shots not falling, and will also win us games.

I think Benny will have games like this, but will also throw in a lot bad ones as well. Ideally he will embrace this bench role, stay focused, and produce more of the former.

What gives me much hope for this team is that Brown and Copeland look like they can be consistent impact players off the bench and log starters minutes. Red seems to have many options with this roster and is willing to use them.
I know hes playing better in the limited role but he'd really round out our starting lineup well next to Bell and Taylor might have an easier time scoring off the bench.
I think for us to legitimately be a tournament team we need Benny to be consistent and overtake JT and win back his starting spot, with JT coming off the bench.

I think for us to legitimately be a tournament team we need Benny to be consistent and overtake JT and win back his starting spot, with JT coming off the bench.
Do you think Red makes him a starter or continue to roll with the starters but bring in Benny and others sooner?

Do you think Red makes him a starter or continue to roll with the starters but bring in Benny and others sooner?
I'm guessing if Benny continues to play well and has an A+ attitude, Red will make him a starter at some point, but it will take several weeks. Remember it was his job to lose in the first place. Justin also might play better offensively if he can come off the bench - I know he rebounds and does some things well, and he's forced to play out of his natural position, but Red shouldn't be afraid to shake it up when your second best shooter who plays to stretch the floor averages 7 ppg in 27 minutes on lower efficiency than his freshman year.

I think Red continues to have Copeland and Brown play off the bench all season despite that they're better than the starters.

He’s had 2 years of zone on D where you stand in a spot . It takes time to readjust to M2 and break old ingrained habit's. It’s been an issue at start of year but looks. Like Reds got them finally figuring it out .

The NBA has some teams where the guy coming off the bench is a bigger deal than the starters too.

you need to find minutes for them all and when they play poorly easy to sit any of them. Its mental as much as physical.

Great, Benny had a nice game, but without starters pressure.. still took bad shots and his release still off 50% of the time. But he played hard , got pts, played D and rebounded and got close to starters minutes and again why mess with things that have worked.

I re-watched the second half. While Benny had a very solid game, it wasn't one in which he played out of his head. It appeared to me a performance that he should be able to replicate consistently if/when focused. That's the bright side with Benny. He could and should do even more!

Talking so candidly (and a little shamed) about not being there for his teammates and pouting on the bench - wow! Someone has been a good psychologist for Benny (or a coach). Impressive.

Wow.

If Benny can continue this trajectory, it's going to be a helluva turnaround. And there's no doubt to think that he won't continue -- right now, he's establishing himself as one of our best forwards.

A lot of talk has centered around Copeland's 4-game stretch -- and deservedly so -- but over that same stretch, Benny has put together some high quality games, as well.

Our best lineup now that has emerged is Judah - Starling - Copeland - Benny - Brown.

At the beginning of the season, Benny looked like a lost cause. Props to him.

I've been down on Benny, but this gives tremendous insight into his growth and progress on the maturity scale.
Sometimes we forget how young these guys are, and expect them to "get it" right away. For some, the journey takes a little more time than others.
Good to see he's working his way out of the slide, and thinking, and talking, more positively.

I think keeping starters but bringing bench players sooner. JT has the longest leash of the starting frontcourt but yesterday was first time this year that Benny played more than JT

I don't see the need to disrupt chemistry. We're not quite getting off to the slow starts like we used to, where the team is immediately in a big hole before the first subs come in. Plus, that give you the opportunity to see if Bell [in particular] comes out hot and hits a few shots early.

But I foresee the Cope / Brown / Benny triumvirate playing starters' MINUTES going forward, which should keep them locked in.

I don't see the need to disrupt chemistry. We're not quite getting off to the slow starts like we used to, where the team is immediately in a big hole before the first subs come in. Plus, that give you the opportunity to see if Bell [in particular] comes out hot and hits a few shots early.

But I foresee the Cope / Brown / Benny triumvirate playing starters' MINUTES going forward, which should keep them locked in.
I don't think starting Benny over JT disrupts the chemistry if Benny is playing well and being a good teammate. Agree that Bell starting is fine to see if he's hot, and Copeland's spark off the bench is a huge plus, so those roles are fine as-is.

I don't think starting Benny over JT disrupts the chemistry if Benny is playing well and being a good teammate. Agree that Bell starting is fine to see if he's hot, and Copeland's spark off the bench is a huge plus, so those roles are fine as-is.

Okay, great.

My position is more of the mindset that if it ain't broke...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom