Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

Certainly did not expect to read this news this morning.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but I would love to know if:

Boeheim indicated that he wanted to coach longer
Hop wanted to move on
Wildhack didn't honor the succession plan (if so, how does this affect the timing of JB's retirement?)

Moving forward, who will we add to staff? Who will JB's primary assistant be? Who will the ace recruiter be, and how will this affect the '17 and '18 classes?

Very interested to see how Hop coaches at UW, specifically how deep his rotation goes, what D he plays (will he switch defenses, to change tempo/momentum), will his teams be proactive or reactive as far as opponents attempting to dictate tempo?

Also, just saw that Hop got a 6-yr deal!
I wrote earlier, I bet that he got a great deal, a much better deal, to go to Washington than he was getting from Syracuse.

Well, you would wrong. And it isn't a guess. And no, he won't owe the University a cent. Wildhack is happy he gets to choose his own guy,
so in your mind the university agreed not to hire anybody else and to pay millions in penalties to make sure hopkins wouldn't leave and yet the whole time he was free to leave at any time. that's some contract.

Yep. Had heard from good accord that JB had requested 5 more years

If true, then this could help recruiting. I'm not sure if it helps the x's and o's... that's a different story.

JB has earned the right to leave when HE wants to, however it feels like it is time for a change.

Hop has been loyal and is such a positive person (from what I've seen in person and observed from afar) that I was thinking that when he took over, he'd be the type of coach a kid would run through a wall for. I can't blame him for not waiting any longer for his shot. I'm bummed that he won't be with 'Cuse anymore though.

If JB wants 5 more years that's great. Don't know why anybody would complain about that. Recruits will know jimmy will be here also. No more uncertainty and no more potential negative recruiting from other schools. Best thing would be is to announce a 5 year deal with JB .

this can't be true cuz mike hopkins has an "iron clad head coach in waiting" contract that will cost the university literally "millions of dollars" to get out of. i read that here recently...

Indeed...so much for those who took that position as if they were a party to the contract.

Yep. Had heard from good accord that JB had requested 5 more years
th

Hop is great - but is unproven and if he struggled his 2 years post-JB, we'd be in serious trouble.

Now, we open a national search and will have plenty of candidates with proven track records of winning and recruiting.

Syracuse is an elite job. Hopkins may not be an elite coach (we don't know that yet) - but we are better off getting a guy who has proven he can win at this level.

Is it an elite job? Its a very successful program, but I dont think it can offer the pay and notoriety that some of the other big name/state schools can.

Or Hopkins is sick of Boeheim

Or he sees a mess at Syracuse and thinks Washington is a better opportunity.

There's more than one way to look at this.

Wow. Could be he is just sick of running and coaching the same scheme again. Strike while he has the chance, more money probably, possibly better recruits. Can't blame him. Maybe he is tired of Boeheim trashing players to the media. I doubt the JB personal rumors are true but maybe that is part of it also. But breaking away from Boeheim/Syracuse now is a MAJOR move. Something is rubbing him the wrong way at Syracuse, imo.

Hop is great - but is unproven and if he struggled his 2 years post-JB, we'd be in serious trouble.

Now, we open a national search and will have plenty of candidates with proven track records of winning and recruiting.

Syracuse is an elite job. Hopkins may not be an elite coach (we don't know that yet) - but we are better off getting a guy who has proven he can win at this level.
Thank you

We should've known this was coming. Hop has basically stopped recruiting from all indications sending AA and Gmac on the road.

And JB is obviously not going any time soon.

This is a mess.
Wildhacks closeness with JB certainly is making his job tougher. I know it's Syveruds call, but in theory JW is JBs boss, if he's strong arming him, that is quite a mess

Our recruiting, already in question, is officially in deep deep trouble.

With even more questions about the future now apparent, no top kid is going to want to come here. Is it possible that our spiral has only just begun?

so in your mind the university agreed not to hire anybody else and to pay millions in penalties to make sure hopkins wouldn't leave and yet the whole time he was free to leave at any time. that's some contract.
Yeah. I had a feeling he was leaving. Let's face it. We are a sinking ship right now with holes all over.
We are not a sinking ship. That quite frankly is ridiculous.

don't know details.

Wow...if true...body blow...

I think this could explain a lot of the recruiting issues...

Hop wanting to recruit guys who fit his system starting next year...

Boeheim wanting guys who fit his system because he's not going anywhere..

And I can only imagine Hop's frustration if, after playing the good soldier all these years and now being on the verge of getting the team, gets told that JB isn't going to retire as scheduled.

Tension among players this year?

How about coaching staff tension...

There is no way Hop takes off this year even if JB is retiring as planned next year, is there?

Ouch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom