Boehiem Ripping Chad Ford in post game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Boehiem Ripping Chad Ford in post game

Who is saying McC is a top 5 pick? If the kid is a top 15 pick he could decide to leave early. Most of these kids go to school to play pro basketball. They make millions for their schools if they want to leave after 1 year they have every right.

Chad Ford is.

My god JB you may not like all these early entries but Chad Ford has a lot of contacts within the NBA. Chad Ford and Danny Ainge are super tight. Same with Ford and Daryl Morey.

McCollough is gone JB.

Chad Ford was dead wrong about Ennis and Grant. Problem is those NBA contacts use guys like Ford to spread disinformation.

Not to stir up the pot but should JB's lawyer be in his ear over spouting out. Doesn't help him with the lawsuit.

Chad Ford was dead wrong about Ennis and Grant. Problem is those NBA contacts use guys like Ford to spread disinformation.

How was Ford "dead wrong" about them? GM opinion changed. In his last rankings Ennis was 16th and Grant below the Top 20.

Alsacs said:
I think Chad Ford has more contacts within the NBA than Jim Boeheim does. Listen I want players to stay but they owe the coach/school nothing as even if they don't make the NBA they can play in Europe or else where. Some kids don't want to go to school others do.

Wait, what? One is a journalist, and the other is a two time gold medal winning coach with a team made up of NBA players.

I'm going to suggest you might want to rethink your opinion.

then play man so they might get better. chad ford is wrong. cmac is top 7. he only needs strength. that happens when he isn't so skinny

Not saying I agree with it, but I'm 100% positive Boeheim is still pissed about the Ennis situation. The media turned Ennis into a god even before the Pitt shot (Ennis is 500/500 in the last 3 seconds of games!!!! or whatever). Not only did that influence Ennis to leave, but I felt that Ennis's effort levels went down after that game for the rest of the season.

As for whether or not Boeheim should talk about it, I don't know. You don't see Coach K, Pitino, and Calipari talk like that and I would say they are more successful coaches. Sometimes I feel like Boeheim's curmudgeonly attitude is the reason we only have 1 championship. After watching the Jimmy V documentary, it isn't always a bad thing to have players focusing on the prize. Not everybody needs to be humbled, some people need to be encouraged.

kirbivore said:

This is the most accurate statement in this thread. The NBA draft is one of the most filthy kniving events in sports.

The influence agents have over the process is astounding. I mean, just crazy. Especially outside the lottery.

And the amount of disinformation that gets floated is equally dumbfounding. It's not guys drafting players purely based on ability.

Here's an example of something that happens ever year.

Agent A has a coveted NBA free agent. He also represents a college player who is a borderline first rounder.

NBA team B wants the free agent, so Agent A tells that team, that in order for that team to "be in the running" to land that free agent, they must draft his borderline first rounder with their first round pick.

This is the most accurate statement in this thread. The NBA draft is one of the most filthy kniving events in sports.

The influence agents have over the process is astounding. I mean, just crazy. Especially outside the lottery.

And the amount of disinformation that gets floated is equally dumbfounding. It's not guys drafting players purely based on ability.

Here's an example of something that happens ever year.

Agent A has a coveted NBA free agent. He also represents a college player who is a borderline first rounder.

NBA team B wants the free agent, so Agent A tells that team, that in order for that team to "be in the running" to land that free agent, they must draft his borderline first rounder with their first round pick.

I agree on this. For sake of brevity, I'll simply add that many agents seem almost as slimy as many lawyers.

Jake said:
This is the most accurate statement in this thread. The NBA draft is one of the most filthy kniving events in sports. The influence agents have over the process is astounding. I mean, just crazy. Especially outside the lottery. And the amount of disinformation that gets floated is equally dumbfounding. It's not guys drafting players purely based on ability. Here's an example of something that happens ever year. Agent A has a coveted NBA free agent. He also represents a college player who is a borderline first rounder. NBA team B wants the free agent, so Agent A tells that team, that in order for that team to "be in the running" to land that free agent, they must draft his borderline first rounder with their first round pick.

Also, agents will also use contacts within the league to "talk up" their players publicly to raise interest and potential value.

It's a slimy slimy process. It's a perverted version of college recruiting, which is perverted on its own level.

I'm still failing to see how a guy like Chad Ford, Adam Schefter, or whoever benefits from passing off illegitimate information. Are we to assume that McCullough's agent or handlers (who better not exist for SU's sake) is paying them to start spreading the hype?

PoppyHart said:
I'm still failing to see how a guy like Chad Ford, Adam Schefter, or whoever benefits from passing off illegitimate information. Are we to assume that McCullough's agent or handlers (who better not exist for SU's sake) is paying them to start spreading the hype?

You're assuming the writers know they are being used. They don't.

Wait, what? One is a journalist, and the other is a two time gold medal winning coach with a team made up of NBA players.

I'm going to suggest you might want to rethink your opinion.
JB has relationships with Jerry Colangelo and the assistant coaches from USA basketball and any scouts with relationships with SU. I understand he has some contacts in pro basketball. I highly the man has time nor inclination to follow the draft process or talk about the prospects during the college basketball season. Chad Ford may be used by scouts/NBA GMs to be a mouthpiece but the man only reports what he is told. If he is being told McC is shooting up draft boards the kid is moving up. Chad Ford after the NBA draft combine in Chicago moved Grant down to the 2nd round. He always said he was a great athlete but needed to show a shooting stroke after the combine and. Grant struggling outside he became a 2nd round pick. Ennis was always in the first round that kid Payton from Louisana shot up draft boards and that is why Ennis went one PG later in the late teens. Ford was on him after the combine.

Chad Ford may be a tool but the guy follows the NBA draft a lot more than JB. JB has a right to say whatever he wants it doesn't mean he is always right though.

JB has relationships with Jerry Colangelo and the assistant coaches from USA basketball and any scouts with relationships with SU. I understand he has some contacts in pro basketball. I highly the man has time nor inclination to follow the draft process or talk about the prospects during the college basketball season. Chad Ford may be used by scouts/NBA GMs to be a mouthpiece but the man only reports what he is told. If he is being told McC is shooting up draft boards the kid is moving up. Chad Ford after the NBA draft combine in Chicago moved Grant down to the 2nd round. He always said he was a great athlete but needed to show a shooting stroke after the combine and. Grant struggling outside he became a 2nd round pick. Ennis was always in the first round that kid Payton from Louisana shot up draft boards and that is why Ennis went one PG later in the late teens. Ford was on him after the combine.

Chad Ford may be a tool but the guy follows the NBA draft a lot more than JB. JB has a right to say whatever he wants it doesn't mean he is always right though.

Key thing you mentioned. "After the Combine". NBA draft rankings won't even be accurate until after the combine, and this is where the entire process is messed up, because players will have already have declared and most sign agents if they are assumed to be a top pick. The problem with this, is once you sign an agent you can't take yourself out of the draft.

Too much emphasis is put into draft rankings like Ford, and we buy into that as fans. While I think they get most of the players right who will be drafted, their rankings are often incorrect. Part of the problem is the draft process needs to be changed, the other part is the players aren't listening to the people who have their best interests in mind.

McCullough will be a first round pick, but it still doesn't change the fact the draft ranking process is an in-exact science and hurts the overall process. Let's not lose sight of the fact that JB is trying to motivate and get the most he can out of McCullough.

My god JB you may not like all these early entries but Chad Ford has a lot of contacts within the NBA. Chad Ford and Danny Ainge are super tight. Same with Ford and Daryl Morey.

McCollough is gone JB.
I think it is more about keeping CMac in the now, and playing like he has something to prove.

After the NBA draft combine he had Grant as a 2nd round pick. Grant left but his brother went back to Notre Dame. Jerami made his own decision if he wanted to wait he could have waited. Ford isn't the reason Grant left.

Problem is that it's the rankings / ratings before the NBA combine that help drive these decisions (not saying it's the only thing that drives the decison)

March 5, 2014 Ford had Ennis at #8 and on April 22 he had Ennis at #11. In that time frame that's when he and his family had to decide if he should stay or go pro. In both mock drafts, there was no accounting for how Ennis would match up with his counterparts who were more athletic (Zach Levine as an example). In the same mock drafts, he had Grant at 16 and 20 respectively. Considering that on April 15th Grant and Ennis had to decide their intentions, the information a guy like Ford puts out there can influence to a degree the decision making and more importantly influence the family around the players into believing that their prodigy is going to hit the proverbial lottery

We all know CM is gone, JB knows this too. But for god sakes, cut the NBA talk until later in the season. JB is right. Cut the Chad, let the kids worry about winning some games first

We all know CM is gone, JB knows this too. But for god sakes, cut the NBA talk until later in the season. JB is right. Cut the Chad, let the kids worry about winning some games first

Lol. Uh, Ford is just doing his job. He COVERS draft prospects and does a weekly chat on ESPN about it. :crazy:

Which is ridiculous in its self. At most 6 games into the College Basketball season for most teams.

It happens every year. He's just reporting what scouts are telling him. You think scouts don't know about these stud guys even before entering college? I don't understand what the issue or problem is here.

Newsflash: NBA fans like to know about prospects.

Wait until the March/or The Spring. When you know who will be declaring and have a full season (Not 6 games or so Into the season)

Outside of Igor everyone is thankful JB is the HC of the SUBB. However, I am not going to act like the cult of Joe and Penn State fans and say JB is never wrong.

JB can say whatever he wants but that doesn't mean he is always right. Chad Ford is doing his job if JB wants to keep McC grounded fine but no need to go after Ford to anyone neutral it comes off petty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom