Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired

My family visited Charlottesville this summer. We had a great time on the UVA campus as well as at Monticello. My only regret is that Cook Out was closed when I wanted to try it out.

It's nice but let's not get carried away. And football recruits couldn't give a tinker's dam about the Lawn. Not to mention that five minutes outside of C'ville, it's hick city for miles and miles.
Not that it matters to recruits, but outside of Charlottesville is full of mansions and country estates.

My family visited Charlottesville this summer. We had a great time on the UVA campus as well as at Monticello. My only regret is that Cook Out was closed when I wanted to try it out.
You'll have to come to one of our away game road trips one of these years...they are pretty popular in Carolina

I would describe Cook Out as consistently good. Everything they do is decent or better. And their milk shake menu is worth the visit.

I would describe Cook Out as consistently good. Everything they do is decent or better. And their milk shake menu is worth the visit.

I was staying at a hotel just several yards from Cook Out. I was intending to get a milk shake but when I tried to open the door I found out the restaurant was closed except for the drive thru. What a friggin disappointment.

I was staying at a hotel just several yards from Cook Out. I was intending to get a milk shake but when I tried to open the door I found out the restaurant was closed except for the drive thru. What a friggin disappointment.

Are these spiked milkshakes or do I need to go to a meeting.

Perhaps Cville is Syracuse without the...less scenic...parts. Syracuse never feels like 700,000 people to me.

Our board is on fire with rumors that Anthony Poindexter, a UVa All-Timer in the HoF, is about to be named as Bronco's replacement. He is currently the co-Defensive Coordinator at PSU after being the DC at UConn. He has no HC experience. Supposedly he and Tony Elliott, the OC at Clemson, were the leading candidates. It will be interesting to see which current assistants he tries to approach and which recruits stick with us or change to us now that he's been named. He was the overwhelming choice of the football alumni (to which I say, "Big Whoop!") and per one article two major donors would open their checkbooks for new, direly needed facilities if he were chosen.

Our board is on fire with rumors that Anthony Poindexter, a UVa All-Timer in the HoF, is about to be named as Bronco's replacement. He is currently the co-Defensive Coordinator at PSU after being the DC at UConn. He has no HC experience. Supposedly he and Tony Elliott, the OC at Clemson, were the leading candidates. It will be interesting to see which current assistants he tries to approach and which recruits stick with us or change to us now that he's been named. He was the overwhelming choice of the football alumni (to which I say, "Big Whoop!") and per one article two major donors would open their checkbooks for new, direly needed facilities if he were chosen.
So both VA schools will have last season's PSU DC?

A short video of GBO and his pal upon hearing the news
200.gif

Twitter video clip of Elliott's arrival at C'ville airport.

This is a MAJOR change! All along the football alumni and the Virginia parochialists (yeah, I know that's redundant) wanted Anthony Poindexter, the PSU co-DC who was just inducted into the College Football HoF. The whole situation was horribly reminiscent of the rush-job Mike London hiring. The media has not yet been alerted to any possible presser. One thing I like about hiring Elliott is that he is a coach who comes from the offensive side of the ball, something we haven't had in a long, long time.

Last edited:
Packard’s radio show on XM touched base in this about 30 minutes ago. A reporter said he thought Poindexter and Elliott got cold feet due to perceived lack of commitment from UVa. Ouch.

Hoo's That is there any truth to the rumor that Poindexter and Elliott are unsure about the job due to the UVA AD not allowing the next head coach to have complete control over hiring assistant coaches?

Hoo's That is there any truth to the rumor that Poindexter and Elliott are unsure about the job due to the UVA AD not allowing the next head coach to have complete control over hiring assistant coaches?
I've been away all day, so I can't speak authoritatively to the what happened. One thing that has been spoken about in the past has been a stipulation on retention of some present assistants by the new coach. One assistant that all our posters think should be retained is Marcus Hagans, our WR coach. He was a former QB for us and has superb rapport with our WRs and with a number of coaches in VA. To us, it seems like a no-brainer. The high quality of play by our WRs is a direct reflection of Hagans' coaching. He's also the only coach who wasn't at BYU, so he knew what was going on here on the East Coast. Most all of us would also like to see Jason Beck, the QB coach retained. Brennan Armstrong's development is Beck, plus we think Armstrong would want to come back for next year if Beck stays.

Supposedly the next man up is Josh Gattis, the OC at Meeshigan.

I've been away all day, so I can't speak authoritatively to the what happened. One thing that has been spoken about in the past has been a stipulation on retention of some present assistants by the new coach. One assistant that all our posters think should be retained is Marcus Hagans, our WR coach. He was a former QB for us and has superb rapport with our WRs and with a number of coaches in VA. To us, it seems like a no-brainer. The high quality of play by our WRs is a direct reflection of Hagans' coaching. He's also the only coach who wasn't at BYU, so he knew what was going on here on the East Coast. Most all of us would also like to see Jason Beck, the QB coach retained. Brennan Armstrong's development is Beck, plus we think Armstrong would want to come back for next year if Beck stays.

Supposedly the next man up is Josh Gattis, the OC at Meeshigan.
Saw that-He's supposed to be an excellent recruiter. He was someone I was wondering if we would consider next year if we end up looking.

Saw that-He's supposed to be an excellent recruiter. He was someone I was wondering if we would consider next year if we end up looking.
I like Gattis' background. I think he would be a lot better fit and more successful at UVa than Elliott or Poindexter.

Hope the Cavs end up with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom