Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

Regardless of Pattersons skill, is this a good use of a scholarship? This literally has nothing to do with him as a player other Than fact that he’s a “project center”. A lot of P5 schools have these kind of guys for obvious reasons - it did appear he had TCU and OK State offers.

But with Carey, Hima, JBA, then further extend it out to Benny and Maliq - that is just a lot of guys on scholarship who can’t really shoot or dribble. And our first commit for 2023 is another big who’s a project. It just doesn’t make any sense
Well we will have between 15 and 25 fouls to give from the 5 spot

Another project and I am not surprised. He might be a great kid and in time turn out to be a serviceable player, but that is not what we need in the toughest conference. Duke and North Carolina always have 4/5 star bigs and most other teams a 2 to 3 star experienced solid big replacement. Next year we will have 3 project centers, Hima being the best which isn't saying much, Carey who is still learning to play but is injured and now Patterson who really should be redshirted. I don't see the point in getting excited about long tall centers who are projects, have low instincts about positioning, no hands or offensive game who might give you a block or two and foul out in 15 minutes or less. I guess it was smart to not have the top recruits that are still interested in us attend the Duke game which could have been a major turnoff. A player like Patterson, who attended the Duke game and who has little interest from other schools perhaps sees an opportunity to fit in and get playing time on a declining program where there'd be less pressure and room to grow.

Another project and I am not surprised. He might be a great kid and in time turn out to be a serviceable player, but that is not what we need in the toughest conference. Duke and North Carolina always have 4/5 star bigs and most other teams a 2 to 3 star experienced solid big replacement. Next year we will have 3 project centers, Hima being the best which isn't saying much, Carey who is still learning to play but is injured and now Patterson who really should be redshirted. I don't see the point in getting excited about long tall centers who are projects, have low instincts about positioning, no hands or offensive game who might give you a block or two and foul out in 15 minutes or less. I guess it was smart to not have the top recruits that are still interested in us attend the Duke game which could have been a major turnoff. A player like Patterson, who attended the Duke game and who has little interest from other schools perhaps sees an opportunity to fit in and get playing time on a declining program where there'd be less pressure and room to grow.
With all of these developmental projects, I would love a fifth year grad transfer like Ryan Young from Duke if Jesse doesn’t return

I think everyone's baseline expectation should be that Joe, Jesse, and Judah are gone.
I loved that Vitale repeated numerous times during the Duke game that Judah should stay and develop a jump shot to become a solid first rounder next year rather than be a 2nd rounder in the G League this year. I hope he is listening to sound advice and not go the way of Lydon, Richardson and McCullough who all left too soon and needed more of the college game to further develop.

I loved that Vitale repeated numerous times during the Duke game that Judah should stay and develop a jump shot to become a solid first rounder next year rather than be a 2nd rounder in the G League this year. I hope he is listening to sound advice and not go the way of Lydon, Richardson and McCullough who all left too soon and needed more of the college game to further develop.
He can learn a jump shot in NBA/G League where they have professional coaches, training programs, and more games. If he can't learn one there, it wasn't meant to be anyway.

No one leaves too soon. This is a zombie take unsupported by evidence, but propped up by a handful of players over the decades who improved enough to get first round attention, but fails to take into account the many hundreds of players who don't get better.

Lydon, Richardson, and McCullough were all first rounders. You can’t blame them for leaving when they did.

Judah currently is projected as mid 2nd round to undrafted…

Lydon, Richardson, and McCullough were all first rounders. You can’t blame them for leaving when they did.

And Judah can make money in college, unlike those guys.

That does change the calculus some what, but I remain of the opinion that they're gone. And even if all three comeback the roster still needs a talent and scheme infusion to better. Lots of work to do at the Melo Center this offseason.

Right but every kid dreams of playing in the NBA. If you’re a first round pick, you should leave for the NBA. If you’re a 2nd round to undrafted, you should stay in college assuming you get a big NIL bag.

They're both forwards in the Rick Jackson / J.B. Reafsnyder sense.
Neither of these guys is driving to the basket or making a 3 point shot.

JBA would probably understand the post defense better than anybody else next year. And Carey was used at center earlier this year.
JBA has played all of his minutes at forward this year, and is not a low post player(like Jackson) whatsoever. He catches the ball on the perimeter or in the high post, and looks to pass. He’s not really even that tall.

Carey was used at center for what? 5 minutes? We’ll see what they do with him, but there’s been rumors of him being moved to forward. We’ve had skinny centers before, but he’s in another ballpark in that regard - I imagine it may depend at least partially on how he fills out?

FWIW, ESPN is projecting him as a first round pick…just in the 2024 draft rather than 2023. I think there’s a chance he goes first round this year if he continues his current level of play and chooses to leave. Obviously hoping selfishly that he returns though.

JBA has played all of his minutes at forward this year, and is not a low post player(like Jackson) whatsoever. He catches the ball on the perimeter or in the high post, and looks to pass. He’s not really even that tall.

Carey was used at center for what? 5 minutes? We’ll see what they do with him, but there’s been rumors of him being moved to forward. We’ve had skinny centers before, but he’s in another ballpark in that regard - I imagine it may depend at least partially on how he fills out?
So was Marek and he played wayyy too much center here.

So was Marek and he played wayyy too much center here.
Good point. As an aside, it’s really frustrating that we finally have a center who can play both ends of the court(first good center since Christmas), and he’s being wasted on this mediocre team.

Are there fans that really think that the choice was between signing Patterson, and signing a 4/5 star ready to play big man?

The choice was between not signing a big from high school, or signing Patterson.

Some could say there's a choice between signing Patterson, and pounding the portal but a) we don't know how that will go and b) there's no guarantee of getting a player, let alone one that's better than our last portal center. Also, we can still go this route if we choose.

We took the sure thing that the coaching staff sees some potential in.

Again, expectations matter. That's the best we can do right now.

Are there fans that really think that the choice was between signing Patterson, and signing a 4/5 ready to play big man?

The choice was between not signing a big from high school, or signing Patterson.

Some could say there's a choice between signing Patterson, and pounding the portal but a) we don't know how that will go and b) there's no guarantee of getting a player, let alone one that's better than our last portal center.

Patterson now, and once all our best players leave….portal.

Are there fans that really think that the choice was between signing Patterson, and signing a 4/5 star ready to play big man?

Some could say there's a choice between signing Patterson, and pounding the portal but a) we don't know how that will go and b) there's no guarantee of getting a player, let alone one that's better than our last portal center. Also, we can still go this route if we choose.

Thats a good point. It depends on Edwards, if he leaves then you can sell playing time to an experienced player from the portal.

I think fans are just seeing the patterns of JB and have lost faith and have grown impatient. A knowledgeable fan knows the portal doesn't open until the end of the regular season but just accepting this commitment, some fans think JB will say, good enough, this position is all set for next year. And that has them concerned.

Thats a good point. It depends on Edwards, if he leaves then you can sell playing time to an experienced player from the portal.

I think fans are just seeing the patterns of JB and have lost faith and have grown impatient. A knowledgeable fan knows the portal doesn't open until the end of the regular season but just accepting this commitment, some fans think JB will say, good enough, this position is all set for next year. And that has them concerned.
I think that's a fair concern.

The program has issues, for sure, but the biggest fan issue is that our expectations are out of line with reality.

We're just not what we were, and we're not trending to get back to that.

Until something intervenes, at least.

And we tried to bring in a big through the portal last year and couldn't make it happen, so like you said, there's no guarantee that's a successful route anyway.

And we tried to bring in a big through the portal last year and couldn't make it happen, so like you said, there's no guarantee that's a successful route anyway.
If the Ryan kid from Duke becomes available and wants to come, which center should kindly be pushed out? Ajak or Carey?

If the Ryan kid from Duke becomes available and wants to come, which center should kindly be pushed out? Ajak or Carey?

Can he even transfer again? He transferred from Northwestern to Duke as a grad student. And any worthwhile big isn't transferring to Syracuse unless Edwards is gone, which in that case a scholarship has opened up anyway and no one needs to be pushed out.

Can he even transfer again? He transferred from Northwestern to Duke as a grad student. And any worthwhile big isn't transferring to Syracuse unless Edwards is gone, which in that case a scholarship has opened up anyway and no one needs to be pushed out.
He went to Duke with Lively already committed. He was the number one recruit coming out of high school. It’s ironic that Ryan’s parents are both former SU athletes and graduates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom