cooney needs his own thread after that | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

cooney needs his own thread after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only started watching Cuse since early 2000's....but has there ever been a more disappointing player. All we heard was that the guy cannot miss in practice and Gerry saying he would be great...BLAH BLAH BLAH. 4 years later we get what we saw on a consistent bases......I dont remember a player being more disappointing.

The form on his jumper is simply not good
agreed. What i find confusing is that he's had five years in the program, and he was recruited and makes his reputation as a shooter. Other high major players don't drift the way Cooney does. It is an easily correctable problem with attention, focus, and repetition. So either the coaching staff wasn't demanding he improve his form to eliminate the frequent drifting or he simply didn't feel it was important. Either scenario reflects poorly on the staff. He's been doing the same thing for four years now!

I have only started watching Cuse since early 2000's...but has there ever been a more disappointing player. All we heard was that the guy cannot miss in practice and Gerry saying he would be great...BLAH BLAH BLAH. 4 years later we get what we saw on a consistent bases...I dont remember a player being more disappointing.
actually i heard that cooney was missing tons of shots in the pickup games they play before school starts.

To understand Cooney is to understand his coach, who has stubbornly stuck to the same script despite the overwhelming evidence pointing to its ultimate failure. Hard to get mad at Cooney.

Boeheim, though, is having a very Gary Williams-esque end to his career. Hope we can turn it around next year. As for what's left of this year, I just want that 20 win mark. If not, it will be the first time in forever that we've gone two seasons in a row without 20 wins.

I don't really want to pile on -- I've said what I had to say about this topic years ago. I'll just say I never, ever understood why he has been given the green light with this ton of minutes playing the 2 for the past 3 years. He would have always been better coming off the bench as a glue type of guy. It's been so obvious since he's been here.

I think even the doubters thought... a 5th year senior with tons of game experience...and more offensive options on this years team... hope was he might just have a breakout year.

Didn't happen.

I don't really want to pile on -- I've said what I had to say about this topic years ago. I'll just say I never, ever understood why he has been given the green light with this ton of minutes playing the 2 for the past 3 years. He would have always been better coming off the bench as a glue type of guy. It's ben so obvious since he's been here.

I assume it's because JB reads this board and seeing if Trevor can break the record for most threads about him over the course of a career.

Hot take, bro.

I respect you as a poster my friend but the numbers don't lie. Doesn't justify personal attacks or name calling, but the numbers just don't lie. He can't shoot. Nothing else needs to be said.

Since January 9th (10-21 vs UNC)

2-9
7-14
4-15
3-13
7-17
3-12
2-10
3-11
3-9
6-14
1-9
1-8
3-11
4-16

What else needs to be said (maybe that's your point? We should just never mention anything because it's just normal numbers game after game?) It's beyond bizzare.

I don't really want to pile on -- I've said what I had to say about this topic years ago. I'll just say I never, ever understood why he has been given the green light with this ton of minutes playing the 2 for the past 3 years. He would have always been better coming off the bench as a glue type of guy. It's been so obvious since he's been here.

Well, it's been well documented that there aren't any options. Our guard depth is woefully thin. Joseph is a bust, missing on Patterson, etc. It all contributes to Cooney having to play too much. The staff betrayed him but even Cooney should know not to shoot that last shot.

I respect you as a poster my friend but the numbers don't lie. Doesn't justify personal attacks or name calling, but the numbers just don't lie. He can't shoot. Nothing else needs to be said.

2-9
7-14
4-15
3-13
7-17
3-12
2-10
3-11
3-9
6-14
1-9
1-8
3-11
4-16

What else needs to be said (maybe that's your point? We should just never mention anything because it's just normal numbers game after game?) It's beyond bizzare.

If nothing else needs to be said, why does everyone feel a compulsion to say it. I honestly don't disagree with the criticism. I just don't understand the pin of piling on. And regardless, anyone who says "open your eyes people" is a f****** tool who deserves to be called out.

If nothing else needs to be said, why does everyone feel a compulsion to say it. I honestly don't disagree with the criticism. I just don't understand the pin of piling on. And regardless, anyone who says "open your eyes people" is a f****** tool who deserves to be called out.

Because it's a syracuse sports Internet forum.

You're the one resorting to childish namecalling. My post was directed at people who will continue to defend Cooney to the death. As GoHamSU pointed out, the stats don't lie. Hence, my "open your eyes" statement.

I assume it's because JB reads this board and seeing if Trevor can break the record for most threads about him over the course of a career.
Dude I don't want to hammer the kid but just isn't good enough to be treated like he has by JB.

JB will pull Howard for a TO and scold him. Cooney will literally go for a rebound instead of rotating back and give an easy transition dunk. If Howard does that he gets pulled.

Cooney is not good enough to be treated to a different standard.

Once G fouled out on that bogus call I had a feeling TC would have a ridiculous shot and kill our chances. We didn't even need a 3 in that spot, but if we wanted one -- give it to Lydon or Mali -- not TC shooting a 28 footer with 3 hands in his face

Once G fouled out on that bogus call I had a feeling TC would have a ridiculous shot and kill our chances. We didn't even need a 3 in that spot, but if we wanted one -- give it to Lydon or Mali -- not TC shooting a 28 footer with 3 hands in his face

Kid is a gamer. To run around for close to forty minutes and still be able to have the legs and the vision to get that shot up towards the backboard.

Heart of a champion.

:)

I know, my thought process after the inbound went to TC, and I'm pretty sure I heard this being yelled across the country, was this:

Not Cooney.
Not Cooney.
Not Cooney.

Cooney.

:(

Dude I don't want to hammer the kid but just isn't good enough to be treated like he has by JB.

JB will pull Howard for a TO and scold him. Cooney will literally go for a rebound instead of rotating back and give an easy transition dunk. If Howard does that he gets pulled.

Cooney is not good enough to be treated to a different standard.

Four years of Cooney threads. Four. Years.

What frustrates me is Jim Boeheim would read these opinions and be mad at them would double down on Cooney. I don't have a problem with the kid being the starter but for him to play 33+ mpg for 3 STRAIGHT season is just not good roster management.

The kid isn't a superstar but stop treating him like one.

Well, it's been well documented that there aren't any options. Our guard depth is woefully thin. Joseph is a bust, missing on Patterson, etc. It all contributes to Cooney having to play too much. The staff betrayed him but even Cooney should know not to shoot that last shot.

I put this on the staff -- there should have been an adjustment with recruitment or the rotation. I'm not blaming TC -- he is what he is. The coaching staff just didn't want to seem to address it. We have Malachi and Gbinje playing out of position -- both could have played the 2 over him.

2-9
7-14
4-15
3-13
7-17
3-12
2-10
3-11
3-9
6-14
1-9
1-8
3-11
4-16

This is undeniable proof that he bait isn't a good player and absolutely shouldn't have been getting minutes that he did There are definitely much better options on this team. You have to blame the coach

What frustrates me is Jim Boeheim would read these opinions and be mad at them would double down on Cooney. I don't have a problem with the kid being the starter but for him to play 33+ mpg for 3 STRAIGHT season is just not good roster management.

The kid isn't a superstar but stop treating him like one.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors