Class of 2014 - Corey Cooper WR from Raleigh, NC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Corey Cooper WR from Raleigh, NC

It's weird that he transferred because he already came in as an old freshman(prep school) now he will have to sit out a year due to transfer. He has to be homesick or family related because it doesn't make sense from a football stand point ,other then maybe he didn't want to compete with kids in his class and felt he was getting beat out.

I was really high on Cooper, this hurts

How will the transfer rules work? My memory is fuzzy isn't this how Raymon got screwed and hit to sit the following year? I'd assume Corey would transfer, get registered for Fall semester, sit out as RS, and be good to go the following year?

Yes if he transfers before fall semester then he'll have to sit out this full year (which will then be his redshirt yr) and have 4 years to play 4 starting fall 2015. If he's definitely going to transfer now would be the time to do it because I find it hard to believe he'd get much time this year and probably redshirt here...then if he was to transfer after the season he'd have to sit out 2015 also and only have 3 to play 3.

Could be a combination of feeling like he had to come after prepping even though he probably wasnt overly excited about coming up here. He was being loyal to McDonald. Plus, Brisly and Avant wasnt expected to be this good at WR, He would have been the 3rd string slot WR for the next 3 years. Ashton can play inside, also the TE's play in the slot at times. This year WR class is very talented too. Ishmael can be moved inside at times along with Phillips being possibly utilized as a slot WR.

I wonder what staff does with the xtra scholly

Do we just eat the empty scholly this year and use it in '15 class or would they consider taking a transfer from another school who will sit a year and be ready for field Sept '15 ?

** edited this I meant class of '15 not '16**

Last edited:
BKCuse said:
I wonder what staff does with the xtra scholly Do we just eat the empty scholly this year and use it in '16 class or would they consider taking a transfer from another school who will sit a year and be ready for field Sept '15 ?

We're pretty deep at receiver, but performance, injuries and such will determine whether we use his ship for the same position.

But I think we'll use the scholy this year.

Not surprised by this announcement to be honest. Even when he made it here in January I just felt uneasy about him lasting here, not sure why but I never got the feeling he was here for the long haul.

With the depth we have at the position its not a huge loss in the grand scheme of things but its the second highly ranked frosh WR we have lost so far this summer (KJ Williams). With Enoicy and Hale most likely out for the year that huge amount of depth has definitely taken a hit. As I said not a huge deal for this year or maybe even next but losing Cooper and KJ is definitely a blow especially considering how highly ranked they were.

At this point I hope the staff brings in another WR along with the kid from Mizzou to help replenish some of our young depth at the position. All that said a young group of Avant, Enoicy, Custis and Ishmael is certainly a great core. Wish Cooper the best of luck but still disappointing even though its not surprising.

We're pretty deep at receiver, but performance, injuries and such will determine whether we use his ship for the same position.

But I think we'll use the scholy this year.

Would definitely like to use it this year. West and Flemming are gone, Broyld is going to be a senior, Alvin C will be a Jr. I think and Estime will also be a Jr and him leaving early after next season wouldn't be a huge shock.

Don't think we'd use that open scholarship on another WR, the position's too crowded as it is. Would probably fill another spot on defense.

image.jpg
I think Ralphie said it best...FUUUUUUDGE!

Offering a '15 kid like Parkinson is a great move but that still means we play the '14 season and spring ball short 1 scholarship player

I wonder if the staff would accept a last minute transfer just like Cooper is jumping ship. Assuming transfer will need to sit out a year at least we've got someone training with us and learning our system for a year so they are ready to contribute week 1 of the '15 season.

I don't know what sort of options are out there but there's gotta be someone who would make a move

We were carrying higher numbers at the position than the staff wanted to. They've said this multiple times and did this because they were looking for something else from the group. I think after Spring practice and now the first two weeks of training camp the staff had a pretty good idea how the WR corps were shaping up.

Hence, the Winfield move. No ill will on Cooper's part it sounds, they might not have expected it but I'm not so sure they're jumping around trying to fill the slot. Hope he does well wherever he goes. Worked hard to get to this position, too bad he's got another setback in front of him. Best of luck Corey.

Last edited:
He must have seen the writing on the wall and knew he he wasn't going to play here. Just because he was rated fairly high by a recruiting service doesn't mean he was a great player. Never heard a single word about him since he's been here and that's not a good thing

He must have seen the writing on the wall and knew he he wasn't going to play here. Just because he was rated fairly high by a recruiting service doesn't mean he was a great player. Never heard a single word about him since he's been here and that's not a good thing

No need to trash a kid on the way out.

Sorry that the kid didn't make a big enough impact for you as a true frosh, three weeks before his first game. :crazy:

Sorry to read this. Really liked Corey...good kid. I hope wherever he lands he does well. Two of our posters are HS FB coaches in the Raleigh area and maybe down the road they can shed some info on what happened. In the meantime I wish Corey the best... things don't always work out how we planned/dreamed for any of us.

Edit: Just remembered that Coreys' cousin Harold is at URI... maybe Corey will take a similar route.

Last edited:
He should at least wait out the first semester, by then we will be almost completing our perfect season, on our way to the playoffs, our practice facility will be done and Brisly will be a Heisman candidate . This making Corey realize he should not transfer and will stay at Syracuse...problem solved!
How do you come up with this nonsense?

You likely know ZERO about what's going on. No need to jump to conclusions. Turns out he wasn't a perfect fit.

Recruiting/school choice is not a perfect science.

Last edited:
Don't think we'd use that open scholarship on another WR, the position's too crowded as it is. Would probably fill another spot on defense.
You probably right

Are you related to Cali?

th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom