Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
In another year or two or 5 or 10, people will pine for where we are today with the coach we have and the standing we have in the league. Watch. I've seen this movie many times before.

I appreciate what we've got here, warts and all. He's not wrong.

Yeah. Jim has forgotten that certain rights maybe granted behind the scenes are likely rights that could be revoked pretty quickly. Also JB may have over the years developed some good will as I think was noted by JW. That can go away as well with some stupidity. JB needs to very simply get out of the spotlight. Period. When the next postgame comes, keep it short and simple.

I think the issue is -- he can't just be a loose cannon. He's been given a lot of rope by the University / AD, but he doesn't have unlimited autonomy. Or at least, he shouldn't anymore.

I bet that this will be the beginning of JB being substantially reigned in. And he might not like having to conform after decades of near unfettered autonomy.

I also think that episodes like this might serve to get him pushed out faster. All he has to do is keep his mouth shut, but he can't.

It's amazing how some people just can't avoid slitting their own throats by being defiant.

He’s not wrong. He didn’t imply it. He stated it outright
C7E906BA-157F-4F41-A655-F6B1E886C751.png

In another year or two or 5 or 10, people will pine for where we are today with the coach we have and the standing we have in the league. Watch. I've seen this movie many times before.

he was wrong, which is why he said he misspoke this AM.
It’s ok to say he was wrong sometimes. He’s not going to hurt you.

I appreciate his candor over his career, he's not wrong on a lot of it. Next guy likely will be a dullard in comparison.

But - and the Pitt site called him out on this - glass houses. Calling out other ACC programs just isn't something he should do, right nor not (I assume he knows all behind the scenes and Wake and Pitt hid behind whatever). Save that for yahoo SEC football coaches. Jalen Hurts and Tom Brady and the whole cast of characters the last few seasons weren't courtside because they had time between spa treatments at the Mirabeau.

The players have more control - from student-athletes leaving before he thought they were ready (probably right) to not having to sit out a transfer year (taking away his use of planting guys on the bench) and he's not really that guy, must really eat at him.

His family needs to have an intervention.

Prior to this incident, I felt as though JB would coach next year [for sure], and look to possibly keep going longer.

Now that he's embarrassed himself and the University in this fashion, I wonder if he'll get pushed out much sooner by the powers that be.

I believe that the AD has been waiting patiently for the Jim Boeheim "problem" to go away, because trying to get him to step aside before he was ready would be a lose-lose scenario. Now? I'm guessing that the AD will be more inclined to stand his ground.

Then so be it. He’s nearly 80 years old and can’t coach forever. Can we struggle in the future? Sure. But we have a good brand that can come back if we get the right guy/gal in charge.

he was wrong, which is why he said he misspoke this AM.
It’s ok to say he was wrong sometimes. He’s not going to hurt you.
No need for the snide comment. I doubt he even read the statement that was released today, it's a CYA legalese apology. I more mean "he's not wrong" speaking openly and frankly about uncomfortable truths.

Maybe so. I think we are at a point where that statement is less true than it would have been even as recent as the last S16 run.

We probably have seen the golden era of college hoops come and go with being lucky to have been a major player in that time.

Thus the future is likely to suck in general even more than the present as a college hoops fan. Doesn't mean there won't be highs to enjoy for even our program but there is also no certainty around any of it.

No need for the snide comment. I doubt he even read the statement that was released today, it's a CYA legalese apology. I more mean "he's not wrong" speaking openly and frankly about uncomfortable truths.
It reminded me of this super religious portion of my family telling everyone what they’re doing wrong and being an absolute disaster of a group. Jim Boeheim should not be commenting on other teams shenanigans (real or perceived). Ever

The thing that doesn't add up is how his close personal friend can be openly underwriting
the whole NIL strategy for the SU program when JB is adamantly against the concept. The two positions are diametrically opposed. JB's old school counterparts were disgusted
enough to retire. What keeps Jim involved with a sport that actively engages in a concept he can't accept?

Last edited:
You don’t have to tell him he can’t coach anymore. Just tell him he can’t coach at Syracuse anymore. This school doesn’t belong to him. And it also doesn’t owe him autonomy. He has been rightfully paid for his services rendered.

We have to have some sort of standards. You can’t let this kind of stuff keep happening. I don’t care how big and powerful the name is.
Some on this board would vehemently disagree with you here.

I’m all about speaking uncomfortable truths.

wish we could talk about the uncomfortable truths regarding JBs best friend mentoring Martin Shkreli

Then so be it. He’s nearly 80 years old and can’t coach forever. Can we struggle in the future? Sure. But we have a good brand that can come back if we get the right guy/gal in charge.
Right! at some point we have to move off of a 78 year old coach. Nothing against that age but thats never a good look to have a coach nearing 80 in college sports, it just isnt. Age, combined with subpar performance and embarrassing PR is a bad formula, one that really no one can survive.
Ragman- A wise poster once told me, "Nostalgia is a powerful drug"

Stop. That's 100% conjecture. You have no clue what the Syracuse program will look like 1-2-5-10 years from now.

The players have more control - from student-athletes leaving before he thought they were ready (probably right) to not having to sit out a transfer year (taking away his use of planting guys on the bench) and he's not really that guy, must really eat at him.

Jay Wright and Coach K retired because of it, according to JB.

So why doesn't he? Does he think he's going to fix it? Or that anyone is going to pay attention to him at this point?

If that's our destiny, then it's going to happen regardless. Not like we'll be saying I wish we didn't force him out. He's 78!

So your prediction is we go from a mid pack also ran program which hasn't been ranked in half a decade, to far worse than that.. even given the pedigree and pluses we have as Syracuse University. #5 all time winningest program. JMA Dome. ACC... Clearly an optimist eh Rags?

Right! at some point we have to move off of a 78 year old coach. Nothing against that age but thats never a good look to have a coach nearing 80 in college sports, it just isnt. Age, combined with subpar performance and embarrassing PR is a bad formula, one that really no one can survive.
Ragman- A wise poster once told me, "Nostalgia is a powerful drug"

Boeheim has held the program hostage for years.

His age just makes him increasingly out of touch, but all good things...

But if he were still doing his job at a high level, then nobody would have a problem with him continuing. Problem is, the program has been on the decline for NINE YEARS, and if not for some miracle post-season outcomes, the fanbase would have gotten disgruntled sooner.

But when you factor in the palpable decline AND him embarrassing himself in the national media, something has to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom