Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
Good comparison, but they didnt put up with Knights antics even while he was still getting them to ncaa tournaments. And yes they have had ups and downs since Knight left, made a title game in 02 IIRC. I know SU beat them in ot in the dome last year but they also just beat the #1 team in the country on Saturday. Davis had some success initially, Crean had #1 seed that got beat by Cuse, Miller stunk for the most part and Woodson can at least get them ranked in year 2. We havent been ranked in ages.
IU has WON 10 tourney games since their Mike Davis final four run in 2002 with Knight's players. 10 including last year's first four win.

We've won 12 in the last 10 years since our current "downturn" began. I guarantee you there isn't one IU fan that wouldn't trade places for those results. Trust me, I'm surrounded by them.

I’m saying it is in our own best interests as fans to chill out a little.

This is a little like a guest who overstayed their welcome but started opening the door to leave. Just let them leave, don’t kick ‘em in the butt.

But, again, I feel strongly that he wasn’t going to be here through 2024. If somebody is of the opinion that he was still sitting on the couch eating chips, then yeah, I see kicking him out.
Emails are flying phones are ringing

We don't have anyone good enough on our roster to promote an assistant coach to keep. Taylor and Brown look like they can be solid players down the road but nothing to promote a assistant to keep them currently. If Jesse-Joe-Mintz leave like rumored regardless of the coach keeping Taylor and Brown wont really matter all that much next year. We will bottom out anyway at that point.

Football promoted an assistant to keep the continuity and it back fired big time...

1675707037629.png

I think that records and who won what tourney game can lose the forest for the trees. This is just a smattering of a couple of teams and their KenPom ranking at the end of the season from the last ten years (2023 is current as of this AM). I tried to include teams around Syracuse's stature and UK (to see why their fanbase is ready to can Calipari).

The dashed horizontal line is about where the NCAA Tourney bubble typically is, obviously it changes year to year, but generally that's where it is.

Last edited:
View attachment 224803

I think that records and who won what tourney game can lose the forest for the trees. This is just a smattering of a couple of teams and their KenPom ranking at the end of the season from the last ten years (2023 is current as of this AM). I tried to include teams around Syracuse's stature and UK (to see why their fanbase is ready to can Calipari).

The dashed horizontal line is about the NCAA Tourney bubble, typically, obviously it changes year to year, but generally that's where it is.

Pretty much even with IU the whole way.

View attachment 224803

The dashed horizontal line is about the NCAA Tourney bubble, typically, obviously it changes year to year, but generally that's where it is.
Great post!

Those tourney runs saved JBs butt, no doubt about that. We are a sub bubble team since basically 2015. And people are worried about a NEW coach doing worse? I'm ok with taking a chance at this point. We have nothing to lose. Proof is in the numbers.

LOL!!!

Like Dino held back HALF of his coaching staff this last offseason?? :rolleyes:

IF Red, Griff, or GMac were desired coaches by other programs, they'd have gotten offers, and been mentioned as candidates when X coaching slot opens up.

They NEVER are.
That's quite telling.

It is also why it would be gross malfeasance for JW to promote from within.
There is ZERO reason to go with a continuity hire, when the current trajectory isn't remotely worth continuing.
Syracuse can find better coaches anywhere else. And MUST do so.
Sorry, I don't agree. Reasonable minds can. I was not talking head jobs. They can be an assistant somewhere for sure. Autry was highly involved with AAU and coached at Virginia Tech. Griff was at Dayton and I believe could have left if he wanted to 3 years ago. Gmac is respected in basketball circles. JB does them little favors.

I agree with the comments on our current players. Listen, some may have said they wanted to come play for a HOF coach in their recruiting news and what not...but we all know the assistants were the ones locking them up/doing the heavy heavy recruiting. Now, if we have an external coach come in and we lose most of our assistants (ie, a Red and Gmac) than expect a mass exodus but if we do the internal move that a lot of people are projecting, there shouldn't be a mass exodus.

GMac's name is getting tossed around at Bucknell but if Dave Paulsen wants it back it is his

Great post!

Those tourney runs saved JBs butt, no doubt about that. We are a sub bubble team since basically 2015. And people are worried about a NEW coach doing worse? I'm ok with taking a chance at this point. We have nothing to lose. Proof is in the numbers.

We had nothing to lose when Pasqualoni was fired, too.

Not sure if the ACC can implement sanctions but if I were Wake Forest I would be livid. It could cost them recruits thus revenues with the allegations.
The ACC brass should be livid. The last thing they want is a hot headed member coach spouting cheating accusations about other member schools.

I’m sure this one earned Jimbo a visit to the principals office

The ACC brass should be livid. The last thing they want is a hot headed member coach spouting cheating accusations about other member schools.

I’m sure this one earned Jimbo a visit to the principals office

B1G and SEC are building Scrooge McDuck-esque bank vaults for their piles of money and yet the ACC has its longest-tenured bball coach throwing WF and Pitt and Miami under the bus for something that everyone should be doing.

scrooge mcduck pool GIF

What he is referring to is it allows boosters to pay players to go to schools which is pay for play. Not what NIL is intended. An Alabama booster is bot paying NIL money for a player to go to Auburn.

JBs point is a good one but its impossible to police it in the manner he is suggesting
His bloviating that somehow Weitsman is different is absurd. We just signed Choppa because of AW!

When a coach departs [or is canned], some will opt to leave, and some will stay [for any of a variety of reasons]. It's inevitable.

But not everyone will bail.
And any new coach worth his salt would mine the portal for replacements. I like the current young guys but a year of turbulence is not a huge deal in the current no wait transfer environment.

Nobody cares what someone's kenpom score was. You don't hang banners or print tshirts for kenpom scores. Tournament success is all that matters.
And do you really think we are trending in the right direction there? Sure, there is a chance that things don't improve or get even worse with a coaching change. But shouldn't you at least try to fix things if they are trending in the wrong direction?

You realize it's going to have to happen sometime - right?

An angle worth considering is the ‘clean house’ option. Meaning GMac and Autry leave alongside JB.
JW is nothing if not loyal. The thought of JB retiring and him running out tow Cuse legends with him is hard to believe

IU has WON 10 tourney games since their Mike Davis final four run in 2002 with Knight's players. 10 including last year's first four win.

We've won 12 in the last 10 years since our current "downturn" began. I guarantee you there isn't one IU fan that wouldn't trade places for those results. Trust me, I'm surrounded by them.
True. But when is our next tourney win (or appearance) under the current regime? Remember, things have only gotten worse since those surprise S16 runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom